Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a programme in the UK last night (Fifth Gear) they did a review of the quatroporte and said that it had been fitted with a new gearchange as the previous one was terrible and very jerky and the new system was miles better as it had smoothed everything out.

My question is, is this the same system that is in the coupe and therefore not enjoyable to use?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think they are talking about the new 'auto' gearbox. I cant remember its proper name but its something like Z1.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I watched Fifth Gear yesterday as well; positive review of a QP Sport, positive based on a "new" gearbox.

As discussed in other recent threads, its most likely only new faster changing DuoSelect software (mechanically unchanged). Hopefully Maserati will eventually allow 2004/2005 QP to upgrade (at a small cost?) to the new software. This would do wonders to depreciation and brand loyalty.

- Toffe

·
Registered
278 Posts
it is the same gearbox mechanically I've heard BUT it has a new improved ECU/computer so sadly enough "old" cars won't be able to upgrade (at least not cheap).....I think the same ECU is also used for the skyhook and that was also upgraded on the sport GT. The new "real automatic" with par converter (rumoured ZF made) is not out yet (model year 2007). ZF is a german gearbox manufacturer used f.e. by BMW 7-series and Audi A8.

Anyway I just saw Mark of Maserati of Mineapolis has some good info on it in another thread http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1214

·
Registered
278 Posts
Tiff (5th gear) really likes the new Sport GT and even calls the new gearbox his favorite amongst the "flappy paddle" ones....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for sounding a bit dim, but new to Maserati, don't have one, but am in the process of selling my 993 and thinking of buying a coupe.

If I understand correctly the drivetrain and gearbox in the QP is then different to the coupe and the problems that Tiff refers to are only present in the QP?

·
Registered
278 Posts
can't answer that but I have the QP and asure you Tiff and all other auto journalist that are apparantly allergic to "flappy paddle" was exagerating....I am able to shift very smootly but it did take me a week or so to get the trick....Obviously when you drive the car only 1 day to review it you can not learn it. In any case seems that the new version is much improved and as good as the one in the F430....Hopefully Maserati lets us upgrade at a reasionable costs....(although given at least the new ECU used it could be almost impossible :-(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well when I was out with the Maserati guys on a driving day I drove the Sport GT QP and very quickly! it's a great car.. and the gearchange is improved with both changes to the hardware and changes to the software. Basically they have improved it by installing pressure sensors along with the movement sensors already in the clutch mechanism. That way you get a much more sophisticated and dynamic change. In essence not going to do much for the Coupe - unfortunately..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts