Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm a newbie here so apologies if this has been asked before...
I've been looking for a new car for ages; considered Jag, Porsche and Merc but have now decided to go for a Coupe (or Spyder). Having test driven a car I can't understand why I went through all that indecision!

I understand that the factory keep improving the software controlling the Cambiocorsa gearbox and have improved it significantly since it came out. If so, is it possible to get the software on an older car ('04 model) updated to the latest version?

Or was that a really stupid question:)

Any advice/hints on which options to look for in a car and any other tips gratefully appreciated!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah They do do that

You just have to ask the dealer to upgrade the software for you because all they do is flash the ECU, I ve asked before and they said yes they can do that.

If your getting an older model, make sure you get the car equipped with the Skyhook suspension, thats the only thing that enhances the driveability of the cars. All the other options are just cosmetic.

I have an 06 Gransport fully loaded

·
Registered
242 Posts
hmbgransport said:
If your getting an older model, make sure you get the car equipped with the Skyhook suspension, thats the only thing that enhances the driveability of the cars. All the other options are just cosmetic.
Personally I would not get the Skyhook if I had to do it again. Thats because the with the "sport" button off the car rides WAY too soft. With the button on during spirited driving the suspension is at about the same tightness as the non-Skyhook cars. The only advantage to Skyhook is that you can lower the car without having to spend a couple of thousand on aftermarket shocks. For a proper track car, get a non-skyhook and lower the car and tune the suspension with an aftermarket kit.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Oh, and regarding the C.C. software, again, IMHO the '02 software version is alot more agressive than the '04 version. In fact if you look at the performance times 0-60 the car got slower a tick because of the US market backlash to the abrupt gear changes in the earlier models. Given that, buy an '04 or later for some other minor improvements and the warranty, leather headliner is a plus and so are the painted calipers but as hmbgrandsport duelly noted, the rest are cosmetic stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I actually talked to my Maserati dealer via email and this is what his email said:

Any pre-owned car we sell is gone through and any Maserati upgrades or campaigns are done to the car. This would include any transmission upgrades.

Hope that sheds some light!

- Jim

·
Registered
773 Posts
rides updates

my 02 spyder rides soft, and for long trips that is wonderful for an old man 68. put in sport mode and some wonderful driving experience happens. enjoy both ( sky hook is on car) make sure you have a good warranty. bills for repairs are big $$$

·
Registered
530 Posts
One transmission campaign you do NOT want is #98. Most dealers know not to perform this one. Many owners complained of reduced performance after installation and there's no way to undo it other than replacing the ECU.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Steeldream
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing