Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new (and happy) owner of a 2006 GS. When driving around town, a double upshift (two quick clicks of the paddle) takes you two gears up, reduces the number of shifts needed, and should extend clutch life. Owner's manual rather vague about whetrher this will damage the CC system. Anyone else do this? Any reason not to do this?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah, but it's more fun to run the rpm's to 6-7k on each gear before shifting to the next. If you keep it in sport, this has little to no effect on clutch life.
Clutch life on CC cars is trashed by three things:
1. Lot's of stop and go traffic, where you crawl along
2. Using non-sport mode, and especially non-sport automatic mode
3. Lot's of hill starts. Especially in reverse. Never, never, never, if you
can help it reverse up an incline. The clutch never fully engages, but
slips continuously (this is a design 'feature' of all the F1 style tranny's I
know of). If you ever have to back up a long incline, you are guaranteed
to smell clutch burn.
Anyway, my two cents. My first clutch lasted over 30k miles, and was
replaced only because the F1 pump failed.
Mike

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've been skipping gears on upshifts pretty much since buying mine. I usually shift into neutral while coming to a stop if it appears safe. Going into corners, I do skip gears on downshifting too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback - I feel better now!

·
Registered
722 Posts
As much as I would love to wind up each gear sequentially, it would be a little antisocial for my daily commute!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Always use sport mode, don't be afraid to wind it up to the redline (it shifts best past 5000), and above all, quit worrying and drive it. My Maserati pleasure index increased 100 fold when I learned that last rule.

Oh, and avoid backing up hills slowly. That's the only thing that really smokes and wears the clutch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, but it's more fun to run the rpm's to 6-7k on each gear before shifting to the next. If you keep it in sport, this has little to no effect on clutch life.
Clutch life on CC cars is trashed by three things:
1. Lot's of stop and go traffic, where you crawl along
2. Using non-sport mode, and especially non-sport automatic mode
3. Lot's of hill starts. Especially in reverse. Never, never, never, if you
can help it reverse up an incline. The clutch never fully engages, but
slips continuously (this is a design 'feature' of all the F1 style tranny's I
know of). If you ever have to back up a long incline, you are guaranteed
to smell clutch burn.
Anyway, my two cents. My first clutch lasted over 30k miles, and was
replaced only because the F1 pump failed.
Mike
Great tips. Driving in bumper to bumper traffic (which I avoid like the plague) in sport mode feels really jerky. Is it that much easier on the clutch? The issue is around the 5-10 mph when the car automatically shifts from 2 to 1st gear. Thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, I can't reproduce your tranny behavior. When I am in stop and go, the tranny never downshifts from 2nd to 1st until I am essentially at a full stop.
I always drive in sport mode. Never in auto mode, unless I am having some sort of cellphone emergency.
My solution for stop and go is to stay in 1st until at least 20mph (3500 rpm or so) before shifting to 2nd. If really crawling, I never leave first, although true stop and go is a bit lurchy with the cc (at least the go part). I try to at lease continue coasting if possible so that the clutch re-engagement is less jerky. If I have to, I downshift to 1st, with an accompanying blip of the throttle. The whole blip the throttle or not discussion has gone on in other threads, but I find it very useful when downshifting, and it sounds awesome as well.
Hope this makes sense.
Mike

Great tips. Driving in bumper to bumper traffic (which I avoid like the plague) in sport mode feels really jerky. Is it that much easier on the clutch? The issue is around the 5-10 mph when the car automatically shifts from 2 to 1st gear. Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, I can't reproduce your tranny behavior. When I am in stop and go, the tranny never downshifts from 2nd to 1st until I am essentially at a full stop.
I always drive in sport mode. Never in auto mode, unless I am having some sort of cellphone emergency.
My solution for stop and go is to stay in 1st until at least 20mph (3500 rpm or so) before shifting to 2nd. If really crawling, I never leave first, although true stop and go is a bit lurchy with the cc (at least the go part). I try to at lease continue coasting if possible so that the clutch re-engagement is less jerky. If I have to, I downshift to 1st, with an accompanying blip of the throttle. The whole blip the throttle or not discussion has gone on in other threads, but I find it very useful when downshifting, and it sounds awesome as well.
Hope this makes sense.
Mike
Thanks for the tips. I will try that tomorrow if I get stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
909 Posts
My solution for stop and go is to stay in 1st until at least 20mph (3500 rpm or so) before shifting to 2nd. If really crawling, I never leave first, although true stop and go is a bit lurchy with the cc (at least the go part). I try to at lease continue coasting if possible so that the clutch re-engagement is less jerky. If I have to, I downshift to 1st, with an accompanying blip of the throttle.
I'm in the same boat, and assume this is the best you can do in stop and go. I try to get next to a semi, so I can let a gap open up in front of me to buffer the tail-gaiting brake stompers without a million people pulling in.. I think the clutch starts to disengage around 1200-1400 rpm, so if I can keep rolling in first or second between 1500 - 3500 rpm I find I can keep the clutch engaged, and avoid the start-stop routine altogether.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you have to downshift to first because of crawling traffic, just keep your foot lightly on the gas until the shift completes. It's easy to make a smooth shift that way, no lurching, no clutch slip.

·
Registered
30 Posts
But we can state that our CC doesn't like to crawl... Best to avoid it.

I made a compare the other day between 1,5 hours of crawling ( 10-20 kmh )and a longer but steady route. GO for the longer. AND it is cheaper too...:D

Sub 15 kmh or 10 mph is not too good. I can feel it...;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts