Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long has your clutch lasted so far? I've only done 2500 miles and no problems.

·
Registered
255 Posts
CC Clutch life

Recently had a new clutch put in my 02 CC coupe. This replaced the original single-plate clutch which was starting to slip after 24,000 miles.
No idea how long the replacement (2-plate) will last - of course much depends on your driving style!

WARNING:
Dealer had "adjusted" the clutch travel on the old clutch and guess what - the Maserati diagnostic software then reported 0% "clutch wear" !
This diagnostic is very mis-leading it does not necessarily indicate total wear (perhaps they need to change the name to clutch travel ?)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Presumably you had to pay? - The reason I ask is that in the USA they seem to have a better warrenty system from things I have read

·
Registered
4 Posts
Clutch

I've had my clutch from new for 9000 miles from new and its just gone ..strange i've been told that it will cost me £1500 + vat to replace....its funny though becasue since i've had the car sep '03 i've had problems with the clutch holding the car back

any views

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Clutch

mderagon said:
I've had my clutch from new for 9000 miles from new and its just gone ..strange i've been told that it will cost me £1500 + vat to replace....its funny though becasue since i've had the car sep '03 i've had problems with the clutch holding the car back

any views
Only 9000 miles.......pretty poor really, the BMW system I had before was good for a lot more

·
Registered
255 Posts
CC Clutch

SJP63 said:
Presumably you had to pay? - The reason I ask is that in the USA they seem to have a better warrenty system from things I have read
After some debate the dealer agreed to share the cost of replacing the clutch. I am told by Maserati UK they do not warrant clutch hardware. It appears from other postings on this forum that some US dealers have been replacing original single-plate clutches (fitted to early 02 cars) without charge.
Note the latest CC software update is not applicable to cars which still have single-plate clutches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am suprised some people have told me the clutch should really last about 20k so am a little confused........and out of pocket !ha

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have an 02 with a dual tang clutch that needed a new clutch at 22k miles. It was 100% worn and since the original was a dual instead of a single tang, the cost of the replacement was on me at $2200. I had the engagement adjusted to the quickest and it works well. It has the original 02 software (not "sofast") and engages as soon as I touch the gas.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ours had the single-tang clutch replaced with the dual-tang version at 11,000 miles (on the dealer's nickel). The new software seems to slip the clutch a lot more, so I anticipate shorter life.

I may have taken a bit of life off the new clutch the other night. I backed the car up onto my four-post hoist. After fooling around trying to get the car properly positioned, the clutch started smoking pretty heavily.

I've heard from the Ferrari owners that F1-style systems should NEVER be backed up on an incline. Looks like that's definitely the case! FWIW, I drove the car tonight and all seemed normal.

Brad

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's one reason I bought a GT.

(No judgement here, just my personal preference.)

I spoke to the service manager at my local dealer, who told me to expect only 15 - 20,000 mi on a clutch for the Cambio. That's some expensive driving!

I guess I have a hard time understanding why the Cambio is so popular; personally I enjoy using a manual clutch, just gives me a better feel for the car.

How come you guys prefer the Cambio?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: That's one reason I bought a GT.

David said:
(No judgement here, just my personal preference.)

I spoke to the service manager at my local dealer, who told me to expect only 15 - 20,000 mi on a clutch for the Cambio. That's some expensive driving!

I guess I have a hard time understanding why the Cambio is so popular; personally I enjoy using a manual clutch, just gives me a better feel for the car.

How come you guys prefer the Cambio?
Because it's novel and because I'm lazy!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I was originally set on getting a MN6, but after trying the Cambio I decided I'd give it a shot--have to say the novelty got me too. After 18 months, my take is that in stop & go traffic it is less smooth than a MN6. Once underway, however, it works very well, shifting more quickly than I can on an MN6. I think it's simply different--kind of like driving in Nintendo. I still enjoy MN6's-- have one on another car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
thebimbo
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing