Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this sucks.

Having been away for about 2 weeks, I decided to put a few miles on my 2002 Coupe, make sure it's running ok, etc. It starts great, drives great, and for the rest of the day, no problems. Today, I need to go re-register the car and have to get a smog check at a state-run facility. I take it in, they hook up their OBD equip., and the car passes no problem. I drive the car home after a few stops, park it and leave it for 1-2 hours. I get in the car again, it starts great (as usual), move the lever to reverse and...nothing! The paddles don't work and the car is sitting there running in neutral. Now I'm thinking, F1 pump? electrical glitch? Voodoo? The car had a new clutch and pump at 14,000 miles (now has 18,000), so I'm kinda stumped. Hong Kong was a lot of fun but didn't mess me up enough to make me forget how to drive my car. Any help from you mavens out there would definitely be appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Could be just a fuse or a relay you know, check it out before you freak out.

·
Registered
909 Posts
One little thing to try - sometimes the sensors hiccup a little bit - try physically pushing the car a foot or two forward or back. I've seen that fix this type of problem a couple of times, on both a Maser and a Ferrari. Usually they are in gear and the transmission won't shift to neutral to start, so I'm not sure that being out of gear will work.

When the car has been off and sitting for a while, do you still here the F1 pump prime the trans when you unlock the car \ open the door? With the car off, but ignition in the on position - will it shift between neutral and first?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Transmission won't shift...

Thanks for the info and advice guys!

I suspected that the pump might be seized, as there was no priming noise when you open the door, nor was the car stuck in any gear.
I did have it towed to the dealer, and the diagnosis was in fact, a seized pump.
The prognosis of course, was to have a new pump installed (at $2,100) after which the car now runs and shifts fine. Oh well, at least if I'm able to sell the car, the new owner will have one less headache...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey MoM,

Do you know if the service department trashes those "Seized" F1 pumps or if they send them back to MNA?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts