Maserati Forum banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
" the plug to the sensors"
Where are these plugs located on the engine brother?
I´ll fill you in on what Ive managed on my own if you do by any chance reply
Kind regards, Winston
No Idea. I come from a long line of Jaguars so know next to nothing apart from what I've learned in here about the Variator issue on Maserati. Can't even seem to get a workshop manual to download -- found a copy but with car shown in pix as having red cam covers. And one of the sections is marked M139

Visited main agent dealer (free coffee and a biscuit ;-) 17th. They replied on the following day: "I am currently working with the service department to get the very best quote for yourself, as soon as I have the final figures I will let you know via email."
You can imagine what sort of quote that'd be. I tried Gallialo over here in blighty (thank's to Catman2's mention) but no reply to my email

·
Registered
30 Posts
>You can imagine what sort of quote that'd be.
Just had it in. Standard UK charges for the parts. But they want to charge out 20 hours @£175 +VAT for the labour = £3,500 +700 = £4,200 or US$5,500 in real money. Erm, I think I'll stick with my indie workshop for the time being. Seeing them on the 4th :unsure:

3,469 Posts
Does Maserati has a similar trick?

Commonly known as clear flood mode...Gm had this feature back in the late 80's....A lot of manufactures have it built into their software, but not all....I want to say Maserati doesn't...Jason

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pressing my foot to the floor then operating the starter just results in more startup revs on my M5 -- although, of late there's only been very few if any "clatters" on startup in the mornings now (48 hours between each)

I'm still tempted by the oil pressure accumulator method as the issue is one of no oil pressure at the end caps to the variators -- assuming the problem is that the oilways there are empty. And that there's sufficient accumulator capacity under pressure to reach before ignition

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Pressing my foot to the floor then operating the starter just results in more startup revs on my M5 -- although, of late there's only been very few if any "clatters" on startup in the mornings now (48 hours between each)

I'm still tempted by the oil pressure accumulator method as the issue is one of no oil pressure at the end caps to the variators -- assuming the problem is that the oilways there are empty. And that there's sufficient accumulator capacity under pressure to reach before ignition
What year is your car?

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Then the oil accumulator method does not apply. The accumulators are used in the high pressure systems of the dry sump cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jason,
I have a 2008 GT Auto 4.2 wet sump with 26k miles. Retired auto tech. Chatter on deceleration, thought it was just heat shield rattle. It started misfiring when I drive it in low RPMs. Stethoscope'd it out and confirmed it's the VVT. Unless I can find a shop that can fix it for less than 6k with transportation (Located in Detroit). I'd like to tackle the job myself.

• Do you know where I could get the factory procedure?
  • Do the cam variator gears need to be clocked a certain way during install or just the cams/crank?
  • Is it worth trying to just swap out the cam caps with machined ones?
  • Is it worth trying to just replace the solenoids?
  • Can a faulty variator gear fail enough to cause interference with piston/valves (not as a result of poor timing during install)?
Thank you!

3,469 Posts
You need the shop manual for the procedure...Yes the cams need to be timed..You might want to try swap the solenoids and machine the caps if the rattle is just on deceleration, but that is your choice on that one...The variator would have to get pretty damn bad for piston to valve contact...BTW...I from Detroit...I grew up in Wyandotte, Riverview, and Trenton area....Jason

·
Registered
4 Posts
You need the shop manual for the procedure...Yes the cams need to be timed..You might want to try swap the solenoids and machine the caps if the rattle is just on deceleration, but that is your choice on that one...The variator would have to get pretty damn bad for piston to valve contact...BTW...I from Detroit...I grew up in Wyandotte, Riverview, and Trenton area....Jason
Thank you so much for the quick reply! I'm up in Pontiac. I anticipated this would happen someday but wasn't prepared to pay for the repair this year. Thought I had some time with a low mileage car. I was going to install a pre-lubrication system and daily drive the car above 2500rpms, but such is life. I don't mind doing the caps and solenoids since it avoids messing with the timing. Even if it buys me a year I'd be very happy. Trying to buy a house this year.

Do you know where I could get the Shop Manual? I've seen some videos online and looks like you just have to match up the cam/crank marks. I've done dozens of Audi timing belts and chains, but I've been out of the game for a few years. I also don't like doing something like this without a good procedure. Do the variators have marks, keyed or is it a special procedure?

3,469 Posts
Search on the forum for a link to the manual...It has the procedure for doing it...I don't think it is really is anything special, but it is probably a professional repair and not a DIY as they'll F-up the cam timing most likely...If you made a living fixing cars then I'm sure you'll be able to handle it.. good luck...Jason

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine's an '08MY (Automatica you call it over there with the ZF gearbox) 82k miles
>Then the oil accumulator method does not apply. The accumulators are used in the high pressure systems of the dry sump cars.
Thanks for the reply Erik... I't's coz I'm not a mechanic that I don't understand how the accumulator method for producing oil pressure at the variators works for dry sump cars but doesn't for wet sump ones.

I've emailed Pre-Lube coupla days back but no reply as yet

201 - 219 of 219 Posts