Maserati Forum banner

181 - 200 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Certainly in the UK independents can do the full repair. I've had it done.

Personally I'd not go for a replacement. Not even sure if the parts are available. I had a quick look and all I could find was the complete head. If I was buying another car in the range that is prone to this fault, I'd want a full document of the repair, and / or be negotiating the price to include one. The failure does not seem to be particularly milage related (mine didn't fail until they were about 80k miles)

And I've probably just increased the screwedup factor of the thread. Sorry, Jason
C
who did it for you and what was the cost pls?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Honestly, if you have to give all that information to your local place than you are off to a bad start...They should know all that if they have done one before...Jason
LOL - I called five dealers and 2 of them (service managers) had no knowledge of the machining component of the variator repair. And I assume they've done more variator repairs than any independent.

The place I'm considering came well recommended but yes - the last few variator repairs he performed did not involve machining the cam caps by TEM because he didn't know about that fix/availability at the time. Honestly not sure how he would know about it unless someone told him or he had access to the TSBs and such. He only does a few a year and its not a big enough part of this business where that would concern me. And he is not doing anything different in the repair job other than pausing a few days to send the cam cap out and then re-install the machined one when done. In this manner, I can get the whole variator repair done correctly just as the dealer would for basically 1/2 the price. And he warranties his work.

AndrewT

3,632 Posts
Not really sure what you are implying there? That isn`t the proper repair? I can assure you I don`t have some kind of rogue repair method to fix them..TEM is just not machining my caps...I provided the best possible advice here so take it for what is worth...That is the proper repair and not my fault if the dealers are clueless to the products they service in your area....regards...Jason

·
Super Moderator
3,342 Posts
LOL - I called five dealers and 2 of them (service managers) had no knowledge of the machining component of the variator repair. And I assume they've done more variator repairs than any independent.

The place I'm considering came well recommended but yes - the last few variator repairs he performed did not involve machining the cam caps by TEM because he didn't know about that fix/availability at the time. Honestly not sure how he would know about it unless someone told him or he had access to the TSBs and such. He only does a few a year and its not a big enough part of this business where that would concern me. And he is not doing anything different in the repair job other than pausing a few days to send the cam cap out and then re-install the machined one when done. In this manner, I can get the whole variator repair done correctly just as the dealer would for basically 1/2 the price. And he warranties his work.

AndrewT
Not really sure what you are implying there? That isn`t the proper repair? I can assure you I don`t have some kind of rogue repair method to fix them..TEM is just not machining my caps...I provided the best possible advice here so take it for what is worth...That is the proper repair and not my fault if the dealers are clueless to the products they service in your area....regards...Jason
I'm with Jason on this. I don't do these repairs and I haven't needed it, but even I knew about the machine work.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wasn't implying anything - appreciate your thoughts and comments here. I was only saying it doesn't bother me (as you suggested it should) that I would use an independent garage for this repair that didn't know about machining the caps - when several dealers didn't know about it either.

Machining the cam cap is absolutely the right thing to do - and certainly part of the correct repair here. No argument there - I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. You guys are the experts and I am just trying to be an informed consumer.

I talked to the place I am considering yesterday and to Rich at TEM Performance and they can include that step (machining the cam cap) as part of their repair. So thats what I plan to do. And it doesn't bother me either that this garage hasn't done that before because it doesn't require anything new from them in the repair other than calling UPS.

AndrewT

·
Registered
27 Posts
who did it for you and what was the cost pls?
Giallo Motors in the UK. Not much use to you I suspect :(

C
I wouldn't be adverse to nipping over from Surrey if they're the right people for the job as it goes. are you able to advise on the cost of the work if you don't mind please?

Also, surely if this is done preventatively, vefore the rattle starts, can't it be done for less as presumably the variators won't have suffered damage and need replacing? Or arr they the cheap part of the job and worth doing once in there?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I wouldn't be adverse to nipping over from Surrey if they're the right people for the job as it goes. are you able to advise on the cost of the work if you don't mind please?

Also, surely if this is done preventatively, vefore the rattle starts, can't it be done for less as presumably the variators won't have suffered damage and need replacing? Or arr they the cheap part of the job and worth doing once in there?
Ah you're UK? I would recommend Matthew et al unreservedly. If you join SportsMaserati you'll see the work that they've done on my car, along with others.

Not sure it'll be any cheaper pre-emptively, as the huge majority, if I recall, is labour. I will dig out the invoice later, feel free to PM me to remind / annoy me :)

C

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 05 qp duoselect that chatters on cold startup and sometimes acts as though it is out of time. i have been driving it for a little over 4 years now with no problems outside the advanced timing issue that last typically 2-3 minutes when its cold outside. im getting a p0010 and a p0020 on mine. does the fix you described sound like the issue i am experiencing? i would like to fix this issue and would like more details if it is. you can email me direct if you can help [email protected] or text me at 432-253-0514 my name is matthew. thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am Rich from TEM Performance Machine shop in Napa Ca, We do the machine work of the Maserati cam caps. We do approximately 170 pairs of cam caps per year. Please feel free to phone or email if you have questions. 707-252-7907 or [email protected]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone have their estimate or receipt of "Cam shaft Variators and Variator actuator"repair, either in photo or email form. Does not have to be exactly same repair. My Maserati dealership is willing to do a price match. This would be a life saver! Feel free to block out any personal info noted on the receipt. Send to [email protected] or in a msg on here or in comment. What ever works best.

My 2008 Qp Sport Gt is at the Maserati Dealership :( The "Cam shaft Variators and Variator actuators need to be replaced". Car won't even drive. I've been going back and forth with them. They gave me a 8,200 dollar estimate for the repair. That's insane! almost 1/3 of what the car costed. It only has 52k miles.I've seen others who had the repair done for 3-6k.

I'll mail you a free print of one my limited edition paintings for your time. Prints
Prints ? Paul Peterson Artwork

THANK YOU
Have you got any? I would need them as well for the same reason. Will you forward to me?

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Have you got any? I would need them as well for the same reason. Will you forward to me?
You'll need to specify if it's wet or dry sump and it will need to be a very recent estimate. The dry sump will be more money and my estimates were between $10K-$11K.

·
Registered
587 Posts
back from the dead thread!
8200 didn't seem that high for all 4 variators and labor.
i had to chuckle at what that guy said 2 years ago, insane due to 1/3 of what the car cost... current value doesn't effect labor and parts costs.
clutches and variators are definitely some of the hardest hitting repairs these cars can endure.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Thanks Eric! What about wet sump 4.2?
I'd say $7,500 to $8K dealer; $5K-$6K independent. I might be wrong due to parts costs and always factor in the idea that some things may break or be uncovered during disassembly, at no fault of the tech.

·
Registered
587 Posts
parts cost lately have been in wild swings of up and down, but mostly the up for older cars. availability has also started to plummet.
one thing on that job that'll swing it 500-1000... a stubborn ass crank pulley that decides to throw the ghost.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Totally agree sc00b. That's why I budgeted in an additional 40% when I had mine done. My car may shine like new, but it's far from new and there's lots of soft aluminum and brittle plastic just waiting to break.

Here's an interesting fact regarding parts:

Just as predicted, many FM dealers are doing away with training and parts for the legacy cars as Maserati starts to stand on its own two feet. A friend of mine who works for a reputable supplier told me they just bought an entire "lot" of new Maserati/Ferrari parts worth about $500K from a dealer group for $70K. This is how I bought my new variator accumulator for $270.00. It was apparently "in the bin."

·
Registered
15 Posts
FYI, I am about to proactively have my cam caps machined by the machine shop in Napa Valley that machines and adds the oil check valves (TEM Performance).

My car has 20K miles and I want to be sure to NOT have the variator problem. So, I ordered a kit from Maserati (for about $140) that contains the check valves, the valve cover gaskets and plug seals, and will pull the valve covers, pull the two front (bridged) cam caps, sent it out for machining and install of the check valves ($300) and then reinstall.

Hope to never have this $5K to $7K problem then.
Hi Sir can you send me the link where I can order the kits too?

181 - 200 of 220 Posts