Maserati Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
These accumulators seem like a good "fix" for the variators without actually replacing them. I don't have the rattle yet but I'm installing an accumulator as a preemptive measure. You also get the added benefit of less wear on the engine at start up. Hard part is finding where to mount the thing!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks suicidechopshop and slider for the parts list and oil tap location. I did the same basic install but put the tank in a different location. I wanted to be able to keep all the factory fairing under the car and also worried about hitting the tank on uneven pavement. It takes some fabricating of brackets to make it work but fits in the right side of the front bumper, behind the air insane screen. Also, I wired into the round driving lights, since I leave them on all the time and I could turn them off if I was working on the car with ignition on and didn’t want to dump the stored oil pressure. Works great, now the oil pressure light goes out before engine start, and starts are smooth and quite. Great mod!

·
Registered
555 Posts
This is a terrific thread - and these accumulators, based on actual experiences thus far, seem to solve the infamous variator issue - or at least delay it's onset for quite a while.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Any updates guys? Have the variator noises came back? Any side effects? Any issues at all?
So far I am very happy with this unit. I haven’t driven my car in two weeks and the pressure is still at 30psi. I only have 4K miles on my car so no variator problem yet, so for me it was more of a preventative measure. I have noticed quieter starts in general though. The only problem I’ve noticed is this: I like to turn my car to “on” to release the pressure before start. It takes about 4 seconds for the tank to empty and the oil pressure light to go out. The problem is, the car sees the oil pressure go up without the engine starting, and then quickly fall as the tank pressure goes to zero. This throws a flashing oil pressure red light and it has to be reset with a obd II scan tool. I’ve solved this by only waiting 2 seconds with the switch to “on” before cranking. If I wait longer than that I get the code. Or you could just turn the key straight to “crank”, and you would get about one second of pre-lube, which is still probably enough. It’s great knowing I have oil pressure before starting, I want one of these on all my cars!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the update. Good to know this could throw a code/issue. Makes sense too. I wonder how the dry sump ecu handles this? I am looking to install mine soon, maybe in the next few weeks after this virus stuff subsides.

4k Miles! your car is a baby! ?

3,956 Posts
The dry sump accumulator is not a start up device...That motor uses high pressure VVT or variator units...Older design...They have the accumulator to make sure the VVT units can act quickly..The problem with high pressure VVT units is they absorb more mechanical HP...That is why no one uses them anymore...The chambered units on the wet sump engines are pretty much the industry standard these days.....J

·
Registered
53 Posts
The dry sump accumulator is not a start up device...That motor uses high pressure VVT or variator units...Older design...They have the accumulator to make sure the VVT units can act quickly..The problem with high pressure VVT units is they absorb more mechanical HP...That is why no one uses them anymore...The chambered units on the wet sump engines are pretty much the industry standard these days.....J

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the update. Good to know this could throw a code/issue. Makes sense too. I wonder how the dry sump ecu handles this? I am looking to install mine soon, maybe in the next few weeks after this virus stuff subsides.

4k Miles! your car is a baby! ?
I know, I should drive it more! It’s an 09”, I bought last year from original owner with 3000 miles. He had it for 10 years and never drove it. Still has original tires that I just bought replacements for. Love the car!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow! I would definitely drive it more before you have to replace all the gaskets! Any issues with fluids leaking from sitting all these years?

·
Registered
52 Posts
No leaks, the previous owner said he would drive around the neighborhood every week or so. Hopefully that kept them flexible

·
Registered
38 Posts
This seems like an easier fix that also turns off the engine oil light granted without the other accumulator benefits and possibly without enough oil pressure. Has anyone with a variator issue tried this to see if it will eliminate the noise on startup?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts