Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 GT that has the Cam Variator clacking noise on startup. Im going to try adding an Accusump to pressurize the variators on startup. Does anyone know what the best location would be to tap into the oil system for the oil feed and the best place to return the oil into the system to pressurize the system at startup?

4,688 Posts
I'm thinking that is not the best way to try to fix that issue on a wet sump car....The clacking sound is because the variator is not locking in the base position...When working correctly the variator locks when the engine is shut off and when it gets oil again on start up it releases the locking pin..Yours are not locking period so just getting oil to them may or may not stop the clacking...It is certainly just a batch for a bigger issue...Doesn't the accusump come with instructions? Jason

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does have instructions, but they aren't specific to a Maserati. One of the options is to get an adapter that enables you to be able to connect between the oil filter and the engine block which provides an input port for the Accusump. The other option is to connect directly into an engines threaded port into the oil gallery if available.

4,688 Posts
You could put a Tee on the oil sending unit, but I would use the adapter on the oil filter probably...Jason

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any updates on this? I am looking to do the same on my 09 wet sump. I sometimes hear the rattle, most the time I don't. I want to stay ahead of it.

I understand it may not work, but it cant hurt anything and is in fact, good for the engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't installed it yet, Im having a tough time finding a sandwich adapter to fit the Oil Filter threads. I think it's a m24 2.0 thread but haven't been able to confirm it yet. I found a guy in Australia that makes sandwich adapters and he could make me one in that thread.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I figured the manufacturer would have the sandwich plate adaptor. I will jump on this band wagon and see what I can figure out. We also have that sleeve around our oil filter that would have to be removed for this to work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 GT that has the Cam Variator clacking noise on startup. Im going to try adding an Accusump to pressurize the variators on startup. Does anyone know what the best location would be to tap into the oil system for the oil feed and the best place to return the oil into the system to pressurize the system at startup?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just heading down the same path. Accusump in and out would be at same spot. Looking into the two plugs in the block above the oil filter. Remind me of oil cooler connections but so far have not been able to find out which is which. My searches for oil circuit diagram have yielded nothing but interesting sidetrips. Any suggestions or information? Suppose could remove and install test fittings but was hoping to avoid that if someone knew answer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m in Australia and doing the same thing. I have a Morosso accumulator ready, and in the process of purchasing the sandwich adapter for between Oil Filter and the Block. The Accumulator will then be connected via a single AN10 port built into the adapter. A solenoid valve is connected to the Accumulator which opens on signal from ignition which then releases stored pressure to “pressurize” the variators and hopefully stop noise whilst oil pump builds pressure. Pump pressure then takes over and refills accumulator, and solenoid valve closes to hold pressure once engine stops. Sounds good in theory??
You are correct that a guy here in Australia makes adapter with M24 x 2 thread to suit.
My 2 questions are:
How much clearance is there between current oil filter and chassis/framework? The sandwich adapter is 47mm thick. Therefore we would need at least that amount plus the length of threaded nipple to allow room to screw filter back on. Does anyone know current clearance and whether this adapter may fit (with rubber drain boot removed)?
Secondly, Where can I physically install the Accumulator? It is roughly 10” long by 4.5” diameter. Is there a spot under cover where this may fit?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just heading down the same path. Accusump in and out would be at same spot. Looking into the two plugs in the block above the oil filter. Remind me of oil cooler connections but so far have not been able to find out which is which. My searches for oil circuit diagram have yielded nothing but interesting sidetrips. Any suggestions or information? Suppose could remove and install test fittings but was hoping to avoid that if someone knew answer.
I have also just been looking into the 2 plugs in the block above the oil filter. It appears to be that the bottom plug is for coolant passage and the top plug is for oil! Appears to be right into the main line from the filter up to the heads? But I could be wrong, hard to tell from drawings I’ve seen. Would be great if someone on here could confirm? If so it would be a nice easy install for Accumulator.
I also looked into the sandwich adapter idea in line with filter which may also work. Adapter is 47mm thick and same diameter as filter. And the guy in Australia can make thread to fit. Seems like there is just enough room to make it work with rubber drain boot removed and 1 bracket moved that holds an electrical connector.
I know this is not the correct fix. I would prefer to change variators and modify cam cap BUT a huge difference in cost!! If adding an Accumulator will prelube/pressurise variators on startup and hold them in correct position surely that will prolong their life?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Removed the threaded oil filter mount on block and was surprised to find different threads on the block - same 24mm diameter, but fine thread. Looks like will be spending some time on the lathe, as a simple 24x2 threaded tube will not work. Current idea is to turn down threaded rod end to fit inside original mount and weld at block end (easier alignment) then drill center out. Half-width nut to hold adapter against block, then screw on filter. Wish had spent some time investigating plug higher up before ordering sandwich plate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Removed the threaded oil filter mount on block and was surprised to find different threads on the block - same 24mm diameter, but fine thread. Looks like will be spending some time on the lathe, as a simple 24x2 threaded tube will not work. Current idea is to turn down threaded rod end to fit inside original mount and weld at block end (easier alignment) then drill center out. Half-width nut to hold adapter against block, then screw on filter. Wish had spent some time investigating plug higher up before ordering sandwich plate.
Have you spoken to the guy here in Australia who makes Sandwich Apapters? Jackmaster. He can make pretty much any adapter you want. You can leave the original threaded adapter in the block and then it uses a centre M24 x 2 female to male adapter to hold the sandwich plate against the block. Then the filter just screws on to the adapter. Was going to be about $200 Australian and about 47mm thick. How thick is your plate? I checked on GT and there is an electrical connection bracket that needs to be bent or moved to allow clearance on mine. But I would be returning the plate if you can and use the plug fitting on top straight into the block. Then you only need an M22 x 1.5 to AN10 fitting for your hose, about $10!
My photos are here in case you haven’t seen them:
Good luck. Hopefully one of us gets this to work.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your adapter would have been a wiser choice, but had ordered the Canton one. The inside diameter of that would not allow a larger than 24mm tube, so a female 24mm was out of question.

Considering mounting location - it would fit behind swaybar

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks good and should work. What size Accusump did you go for? I ended up with a Morosso 1.5L Accumulator. It fits perfectly up in the top Left corner of Engine Bay near brake booster. Even fits under the cover.
Have you done a test run yet?
I set mine up yesterday!! I used a brass M22x1.5 adapter to 1/4” female. This is screwed into where the top brass plug was above oil filter. Then used a 3/8” hose barb and 10mm oil/fuel hose run up to Accumulator. (I’ll attach photos below)
I just did a test run with manual shutoff valve and the results are amazing!!!
My rattle was very bad lasting about 5 secs on cold startup after a few days. After prelube with Accumulator......nothing!!! No rattle at all and runs so smooth.
Over the next couple of days I’ll work on setting it up permanently and install the solenoid valve to run off the ignition.
Would love to hear how yours goes!
Definitely worth doing!
All the best

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Also any photos of the feed location you tapped?

Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4,688 Posts
Also any photos of the feed location you tapped?

Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure you have a dry sump and he has a wet so I'm thinking his location won't work for you...Jason

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, as Jason said, mines Wet sump, so assuming it will be different.

I have not seen the Dry sump setup, but from research I have seen I think there is a fitting (for Maserati Accumulator) in the inboard side of the head, under the intake manifold, near the front of the Engine, on both heads?
I believe a couple of guys have Tee’d into that fitting with success (there are a couple of other threads on here).

As for the valve, I’m connecting up a Solenoid valve with the Accumulator that will be connected to ignition power, therefore, turn key to ignition....valve opens and prelubes engine (and Variators) for a few seconds....then key to start.....no Rattle!!!? Solenoid stays open while driving which allows oil pump to refill Accumulator (also has benefit of maintaining oil pressure during high speed cornering etc ?). Then when engine stopped....solenoid valve closes and stores pressure for next startup. There is also a manual shutoff valve on Accumulator in case you need to isolate.

I have more info and pictures here in another thread:

Currently it is just set up with a test hose but works great. Im in process of setting up with proper braided hose and fittings now and will post more photos when complete. I’m also going to try to put some videos up on YouTube at some point to show dramatic difference it makes! Will add links here when I get a chance to complete.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts