Maserati Forum banner

Cam Shaft Variator Noise resolved

5K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  Slider429 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Long story short. One day, I decided to wait couple minutes before I start the car.
1.key in the ignition.
2.turn the key till system starts.
3.wait 2 minutes
4.start the engine.

I never hear the cam shaft variator noice no more. And it has been 3 months since then!
I know nothing about mechanic. And I am not really sure if it is considered “fix”
Hope someone with more experience can share their opinions here.

#4 ·
Kinda tough to interpret noises over the internet based on just written descriptions ..maybe a sound clip could have helped .. “ light “ ticking or tapping for just the first few seconds on a cold start could be the valves / lifters , but as for heavy ticking I would not have a clue.. And while I’ve heard a lot of valve ticking , I’ve never heard a variator tick sound , so I would not be able to compare . Just very surprised leaving the key in the ignition longer would cure anything of the sort .. IMO, just a weird coincidence , but I could be wrong ..

#9 ·
This is why I love the internet...141 views so far of straight up BS...There is no magical little pump that comes on when you let the car sit...The variator issue is a mechanical issue...Leaving the key on only powers up the sensors and electronics...The OP car most likely had some kinda of lifter clatter etc. that simply cleared itself up... Just ridiculous...Jason

Reactions: Catmanv2
#10 ·
Like I said before, I am no mechanical expert. What’s the sounds difference between lifter clatter and variator noice?
For a long time I thought I had a variator issue because I had the video sent to Service Department in Mike Wards Maserati Denver. They told me it sounds like a variator to them. Ever since then I thought I am the victim of this well-known issue. However I never sent the car to the shop therefore they may be wrong.

#17 ·
Yeah, I love internet theories...The varaitor has a locking pin that is not locking and that is why they rattle...That is not theory, a guess or my opinion...It is a fact...That is why there is undated variator unit with a large spring that makes sure they return to the home position and lock...I know this from actually seeing both with my own eyes...Not something I Googled...I'm pretty much done with all these variator post...The theme is the same...Some jackass theory not to spend the money to fix them...I get it totally, but mermaid farts and pixie dust isn't gonna fix the problem...The updates will.....Jason
OK...since it's an 08, there a high likelihood that you have the variation problem and, as Jason said, the ONLY way to resolve it is to have the update performed. NOTHING else will work. Period...end of story!

#14 ·
A varaiator noise is a loud clacking sound for a few seconds on startup when the car sits for a period...I imagine your car had some other kind of slight engine noise and it has cleared itself up..Leaving the key on is just a coincidence in this case as it literally does nothing when you just sit there except send power to sensors and read the values..It sounds like you are just lucky in this case....Jason

#16 ·
Yeah, I love internet theories...The varaitor has a locking pin that is not locking and that is why they rattle...That is not theory, a guess or my opinion...It is a fact...That is why there is undated variator unit with a large spring that makes sure they return to the home position and lock...I know this from actually seeing both with my own eyes...Not something I Googled...I'm pretty much done with all these variator post...The theme is the same...Some jackass theory not to spend the money to fix them...I get it totally, but mermaid farts and pixie dust isn't gonna fix the problem...The updates will.....Jason

#24 ·
Also suicidechopshop did the same install with an awesome post including full list of parts etc:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.