Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

08 GT 4.2 auto (Wet sump). Recently had the cam caps machine and need to reinstall. Does anyone know the cam cap and valve cover torque specs? Thank you!

3,635 Posts
They are showing 5NM +30 degrees...Honestly, to make things a lot easier just put your wrench on one of the other cam caps and get a feel..They need to be that tight...Pretty much nobody is gonna use a torque wrench on a cam cap out in the field...It is done by feel....Jason

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I downloaded a workshop manual for the Quattroporte and its said 10nm. Felt about right. I know how it is in the field, I used to be out there. I took forever because I did everything to spec and by the book. Never made any money with flat rate lol. Went into software.

3,635 Posts
I know the general public thinks that is 1/2 ass, but I tighten hundreds of bolts weekly...I don't use a torque wrench 99% of the time...You are dealing with 6,8, 10 mm fasteners etc. and after a bit you get to know how tight each diameter fastener needs to be tightened...I do it the same way on my own vehicle...It seems to be working after 31 years...Yes, you will starve to death in this industry if you do everything by the book... J

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
True, but that should be reserved for highly experienced “veteran” mechanics only, my Porsche and Mercedes mechanic ( recently retired ) had a bunch of torque wrenches / instruments, all gathering dust in his shop, he said he hasn’t used one for anything in decades, he relied solely on his sense of touch, and was quite certain of it . But again, this guy spent about 45 years working on cars, many of which were repetitive brands and models ; Porsches, BMWs and Mercedes . .. well, and his brother’s Ferrari 355. :) ,
However , if you’re using a mechanic who may not quite be in that same category, or are relatively new at DIY jobs, best to rely on the torque wrenches , IMO.

3,635 Posts
Oh, I totally agree, but Joe used to be a tech....Honestly, you would think that most folks would not tighten stuff tight enough...I find it that opposite...They tighten the crap out of stuff..Stuff doesn't come loose on a street car like it does a race car...So little vibration in newer cars and the use of thread locker compounds...Jason

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Yeah, I wasn’t referring to Joe , or anyone else in particular , just more a general statement. And totally agree that people have a tendency to overtorque things .. human nature and instinct I suppose..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts