Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used with much satisfaction on entire car. I've heard from some that it could cause scratches although none are visible. Maybe a halogen would change my mind. Has anyone used and if so ,what are your results? It is certainly quick. Thanks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
At first, I thought they would cause scratches, but after seeing an exotic dealer using one, I decide to pick one up and use on my Range Rover last summer. I have not noticed any scratches, but I am still looking for more opinions, before using it on the Mas ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At first, I thought they would cause scratches, but after seeing an exotic dealer using one, I decide to pick one up and use on my Range Rover last summer. I have not noticed any scratches, but I am still looking for more opinions, before using it on the Mas ;)
Follow up with leaf blower and you're golden.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I use the Jelly blade. My car is black and I have not noticed any scratches yet.

I find this a way better option than a Chamois or a MF colth by itself. I use the blade to take off about 90% of the water and then use a MF cloth and some Mcguires quick detailer to get the rest which eliminates spotting.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've used them for years and like them a lot BUT you have to be careful. The blades don't scratch but any kind of grit under them will, so you have to rinse them frequently. I got a particularly nasty scratch on the rear fender of my Maser from not doing so.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I've used them for years and like them a lot BUT you have to be careful. The blades don't scratch but any kind of grit under them will, so you have to rinse them frequently. I got a particularly nasty scratch on the rear fender of my Maser from not doing so.
Good point Bill. I actually use the blade instead of a chamois or MF towel for exactly that reason. MF is especially bad becuse little rock particles can get stuck deep in the fibers without being seen. I ended up with a couple of huge scratches right in the middle of my hood that way.

I find running your finger over the jelly blade every few strokes works great to keep the grit off.

·
Registered
778 Posts
the Absorber > all

Ive scratched my paint quite a few times with the blade, now I only use the Absorber. Just dont let that thing touch the ground!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good point Bill. I actually use the blade instead of a chamois or MF towel for exactly that reason. MF is especially bad becuse little rock particles can get stuck deep in the fibers without being seen. I ended up with a couple of huge scratches right in the middle of my hood that way.

I find running your finger over the jelly blade every few strokes works great to keep the grit off.
What do you use after blade then to dry remainder of car?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the Absorber > all

Ive scratched my paint quite a few times with the blade, now I only use the Absorber. Just dont let that thing touch the ground!!
How is the Absorber different from any mf towel or is it mf?

·
Registered
744 Posts
What do you use after blade then to dry remainder of car?
I use a clean MF towel (you can't avoid them entirely). Detailing cars is a very arcane art and everyone does it differently. I have come up with a way that minmizes time/ effort but still yields excellent results - it can be done in about 30 minutes.

My routine (which I have developed over several years by trail and error) is as follows:

1) Rinse/ wash off heavy dirt with HP washer

2) Wash the car with a sheepskin mit and lots of shampoo (I use one cheap mitt for the bottom third where most of the grit lies and a separate real sheepskin one for the top 2/3 of the car)

3) Rinse with the high pressure washer (important not to let any part dry before the next step)

4) Scrape as much water off the car using the blade as possible (this takes off 90%)

5) Dry the left over wet spots with a clean MF towel. Spray McGuires platimum quick detailer as you dry. This shines and stops spotting.

6) Give a quick dry polish using a clean MF polishing cloth (like simulated suede). I use a bottle of spray McGuires cleaning polish along with this as it takes away any remaining spots plus small swirl marks.

I have tried everything and I have found that this system yields about 95% of the results of a truly maniacal detailing regime but at about 1/5 the time investment.

·
Registered
778 Posts
How is the Absorber different from any mf towel or is it mf?
its not mf, its a synthetic chamois with PVA open-cell material. holds a bunch of water when wet, really quite amazing. I dont use anything else, and ive got em in every color...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmm, leaf blower works great on my gutters, clearing out dusty computers, and my garage....why not dry the mas :confused: :D
Indeed! Never will touch your paint, i.e. no scratching. Also, open doors and trunk and blow away around those areas;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts