Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my June 2004 issue in the mail. C&D ranked the QP first over the E55 and Jag XJR. In a nutshell, the QP wasn't the fastest among the 3 in a straight line, but had the best braking, handling and driver involvement. Reviewers felt that the styling and the driving experience was too seductive to rank it anything but first. Downsides such as slightly firm ride and unproven build quality were outweighed by the QP's other qualities.

Considering that the automotive press rarely ranks my favorite cars this highly, I hope this doesn't mean Maser's latest efforts don't match my tastes! Oh well, I am not really in the market for a sedan right now anyway :D

EDIT: The E55 came in second place, the Jag in 3rd...

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
That is nice to see it beat the E55. I'm guessing the E55 was first in speed. I think some of it depends on taste really. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the E55 easily won the straight line tests, followed by the Jag, which was lightest of the bunch. You are correct, at this level, it mostly comes down to personal preferences/wants. I would have a tough time choosing between the Benz and the QP, but would lean toward the QP. C&D clearly stated that subjectivity ruled much of their thought processes when placing the QP 1st - stating it was not the rational top pick. Used the word "seduce" a couple times and threw in the requisite fellini reference.

A couple of performance bits piqued my interest:
1) the car goes around the skidpad with the same/similar 0.87 g as the coupe.

But the most astounding figure was:
2) the 70 - 0 mph braking of 153 feet. Best of the group by far, better than the coupe/spyder and 2 feet within the Ferrari Enzo. Wow.

I am guessing the car's rear weight bias played a role in both of the above strong figures...

·
Registered
455 Posts
I havent read the article, but I dont think the jaguar is a factor.

They probably didnt mention it, but the Jaguar has a speed limiter at 121mph, whereas the mercedes probably does 155, and the maserati does 170mph.

I could it see it now, jaguar holds it's own at 121mph while the maserati pulls along side, waves, then accelarates away.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, for me it would be a tough choice between the AMG and the QP. But I wouldn't kick any of them out of bed.

BTW - C&D has top speed for the Jag at 155 MPH (governed)

·
Registered
455 Posts
My mistake, the XJR was the test vehicle. The XJ8 is 121mph, the XJR is 155.

XJ8
Maximum speed 121 mph, electronically limited
:cry:

Vandan plas
Maximum speed 121 mph, electronically limited
:p do it in style at least.

XJR
Maximum speed 155 mph, electronically limited
:D

Well, I hope it was the XJR. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
GregD
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing