Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ebay sure has some of the best prices for used maserati's out there, im just a little hesitant on buying online though, i have had some bad experience buying and selling online via ebay and paypal and those where with rather small transactions. im just not sure if im i feel comfortable sending in 20-30k digitaly to someone i know nothing about. has anyone every bought from ebay motors?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
????? ebay motor is not the vendor or seller.

some reputable dealers list their cars on ebay just as advertising.

i don't think reputable dealers will want your 20-30k digitally....

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
With car sales on eBay, the ad is just used to asvertise and get you to CALL them...

Not to have you "buy it now" or bid ;]

Thats why their telephone numbers are always there twenty times.

·
Registered
240 Posts
????? ebay motor is not the vendor or seller.

some reputable dealers list their cars on ebay just as advertising.

i don't think reputable dealers will want your 20-30k digitally....

the local ferarri dealer here in scottsdale has all there cars listed on ebay.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i looked MOST of the adds on ebay you do buy them on ebay as in bid with other people, and then though your bank wire funds to theirs...and then your at their mercy to see if they want to send you a car or not. im not sure how it works but i do know you first pay a digital down payment and i guess through your bank or credicard pay off the car by 32 months or something...i

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one reason i dont like buying and selling online is companies like paypal for example usually favor the buyer 90% of the time, i one sold digital information to someone for 250$ and the guy disputes me on paypal saying he lost his password and his paypal was hacked and that he wanted a refund, to my surprise paypal aggreed and took the moeny back from me, as i couldent provide proof i sold him anything because there was no shipping information or anything i sold him 'digital information' anyways w/e i wont buy off of ebay then

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't ever wire anyone money for an ebay purchase Especially for a large purchase like a vehicle. I wouldn't but a car without driving it anyway. Go there, drive the car, meet the dealer. If its too far away or the deal looks too good to be true it probably is. If the person doesn't agree to let you drive the car before you buy it or at least inspect it and have them drive it, then its not worth it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
ebay sure has some of the best prices for used maserati's out there, im just a little hesitant on buying online though, i have had some bad experience buying and selling online via ebay and paypal and those where with rather small transactions. im just not sure if im i feel comfortable sending in 20-30k digitaly to someone i know nothing about. has anyone every bought from ebay motors?
I bought my 2005 GS on eBay this Summer. As previous posts note, eBay is just the marketplace, you are buying from a seller like any other selling forum (Autotrader, classifieds, even dealerships). In my case, the seller and the car were in Virginia. I live in CA, so that is just about as far away as it could be, no not practical to see it in person. The listing had about 99 pages of pictures from every angle inside and out, and a very detailed description. I called the seller to ask questions about the car and his selling experience. I checked his feedback and the types of cars he sold in the past. All checked out. There were already 28 bids on the car, so I asked him what it would take to close out the auction. He gave me a price, so I put the bid in for that amount, and he stopped the auction. You cannot PayPal that much money. You can either fly/drive out to see it and pay with cashiers check or you can do what I did and wire the money, and have it shipped (in a covered and insured carrier like DAS). When it arrived, it was PERFECT. I took it to my local Ferrari/Maserati dealer and everything checked out. I had all the fluids changed and replaced the tires but I would have done that no matter where I bought it. I've had it just about 6 months, and actually like it more and more each time I drive it.

This was my first eBay Motors purchase and for me it worked out perfectly.

The only thing I would do differently is get my insurance locked up in writing BEFORE I bid on the car. I had a verbal quote before I bid, then after it arrived, they said the agent made a mistake and that my "new addition" had to go through senior management review - that took 3 days. All worked out in the end, but that really gave me a scare.

Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info robert, ill consider the whole ebay thing, i guess im just one of those people i dont trust my money anywhere unless its physically in my pocket. the though of having my money digitally transfered so and so gives me the chills. anyways cute kid, can you imagine the day when he asks 'hey old man can i take the ol GS out for a spin?" :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
I find that very few exotic car purchases actually "close" on eBay. I agree with the earlier statement that many dealers list their cars but really want you to call them to make an offer since they can then avoid the eBay fees.

eBay is no different then any other marketplace. There are good sellers and bad ones. Make sure that you do your due diligence before sending any $$$ and ideally complete the transaction in person.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Paradon is right on, in fact, most eBay Motors listing from the seller I bought from close before the end of the auction based on the best offer.

By the time my son is old enought to ask for the GS car keys, the GS will be a distant memory - 12 years from now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
find the one you like, call the guy...go see it/drive it...do a PPI and buy it from him. if you're lucky, you'll buy from a reputable guy like bogey rob did...and it'll work out. good luck. NEVER send them $$ over the computer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts