Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about buying a 2002 coupe and wonder what I should look out for? I'm thinking 2002 because it fits my budget unless I hear a lot of negatives about them. Did the 2002 body change in 2006?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
2002 were the first model year of the first time the car was around for like 20 years and it was a brand new set of owners (fiat)...

2003 they worked out most of the bugs, 2004 they worked out a LOT more, and added cup holders.

2003 is also when the actual frame was changed I believe.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Get the '02 -- it's a Maserati

Back when I purchased my '02 Spyder GT I wanted a newer model but the '02 was the only one that I could find that fit my specs: yellow, convertable and manual shift. Maseratiboy has good points but the '02 I have is still a Maserati. It goes like hell, stays glued to the mountain roads that I drive, hasn't cost me anything for drivetrain repair, (had some top and window problems) but I'm happy, happy, happy with mine. I say go for it - neither you nor the car are getting any younger.

·
Registered
695 Posts
2002 were the first model year of the first time the car was around for like 20 years and it was a brand new set of owners (fiat)...

2003 they worked out most of the bugs, 2004 they worked out a LOT more, and added cup holders.

2003 is also when the actual frame was changed I believe.
Ali,

Some corrections -

- Fiat acquired Maserati in 1993
- Ferrari acquired Maserati in 1997ish. (50% Share and full control of product)
- The 4200 coupe body style was around earlier as the 3200 (introduced in 1998/9)
- The 4200 Spyder was new in 2002.
- 2003 saw significant changes in suspension, software (CC) and other running production improvements.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've been thinking about buying a 2002 coupe and wonder what I should look out for? I'm thinking 2002 because it fits my budget unless I hear a lot of negatives about them. Did the 2002 body change in 2006?
I am concern if you mean that is your total budget. You need to have a maintenance reserve budget on the side to keep this car running properly.

Check other threads to find out what costs are...you can find an independent to help lessen the labor but the consumables can still be wallet numbing.

For example: On my cars:
BMW Oil Change at Dealer: $85 (Parts and Labor)
Maser recommended Oil Change Kit only: $125 (no Labor)
BMW Cabin microfilter only: $55 (Parts & Easy DIY)
Maser Cabin microfilter only: $120 (Parts & Easy DIY)
ETC.

I have spent ~$600 in fluid and consumables for my two-year fluid replacement/replenishment service. Then add labor if you aren't DIY.

I use a (then new) 2007 BMW as a daily commuter, I could buy a used '02 Maserati 4200 for half of the E93 335i price, but the Maser's scheduled maintenance costs, tires, and gas is still not viable for me - the bimmer is still cheaper even at a $60K purchase price, running costs, and depreciation hit.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There was someone on the forum last week or two with a 2002 for sale. Looked very well maintained with all service records. Check back through postings. It sounded like a great deal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Back when I purchased my '02 Spyder GT I wanted a newer model but the '02 was the only one that I could find that fit my specs: yellow, convertable and manual shift. Maseratiboy has good points but the '02 I have is still a Maserati. It goes like hell, stays glued to the mountain roads that I drive, hasn't cost me anything for drivetrain repair, (had some top and window problems) but I'm happy, happy, happy with mine. I say go for it - neither you nor the car are getting any younger.
I love, love, love mine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts