Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my maser as a daily drive and average about 33 miles a day on it. I fill up 23 gallons every 6-7 days. At 4+ a gallon for gas, this is becomming a bit rediculous. Basically I'm making another car or motorcycle payment just to drive 33 miles a day. This translates to 15-19 dollars a day on gas... Absolutely blasphomous!!! Scooter I looked at averages 70 miles a gallon costs 2700 and pays for itself at 5 days a week drive in 162 days. Best part, dont need a drivers license as its 50cc no insurance no property tax nothing.. If I drive it 1/3 of the time I save 1900 a year in gas! On sheer principal this will be done immediately!!! Welcome your thoughts..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not a bad idea as far as I'm concerned. I have a bike (motorcycle) as one of my primary vehicles, and even with it's relatively 'low' MPG of 38, it works out to be around $4-5 per day that i save just in gas each time i ride. Biggest thing though is safety...need to always be alert on two wheels. Watch out for all those cages who want to cut you off, turn in front of you, etc. and wear some safety gear!

gotta say though...i couldn't do a scooter. too slow :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Motorcycles are not as practical as they seem, I bought one (KTM 950) 2 years ago for the same reasons and have only ridden 1,700 miles.

First, the weather, if you have to leave before 9am and/or come back after 5pm be ready for some cold. Not as comfortable as a car;

Second, if you have to carry anything is a hassle;

Third, if you dress up for work be ready for messed up shirt and helmet-hair;

Forth, safety and consequently stress.

I love motorcycles and for many years of my life I didn't even have a car, but it's no longer practical for me.

BUT, on the other side, it will make you enjoy and apreciate more your days driving the Maserati...;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
you are sort of joking right?

seeing as you bought a Maserati, I will assume that means you are on the far side of practical.

Seeing as gas will never likely go down in price in the future, it sounds like your future will be 2-wheeled, less of course you score a Tesla.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually its an aprillia 50cc chiped for speed upto 60 mph. With a convienient cargo box and fits two people easily. Can't beat that. Safety is obviously an issue. But I figure if I could drive one for a year in Athens, Greece with all the rediculous and chaotic driving habbits of the Greeks, shouldn't be too difficult on us side streets. I'm avoiding highways like the plague. Its my intention to set a scooter trend in NC..... :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think you'd be really happy with the Aprilia.

I have a 2004 Aprilia Futura. Its great! Been super reliable and enough dealers around that can work on it at service intervals.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Scooter

I like my Coupe but I drive to/from work in LA each day on my BMW R1150RT. Gas mileage is pushing 40 but the real reason is I cut 45min off my commute each way and I can park closer to the office than the Co Prez.

Couldn't do a scooter tho. Too embarassing. The thing that gets me is those guys that drive the 750 Honda "scooter". Yuck, how could a guy be seen driving a prissied up Vespa like that on the road? I mean, hey, I used to have a 125 Suzuki but it was a man's bike that you swung your leg over. Sorry, but you'll never see me on one of those girls bikes.

Moostey is right about one thing tho. Just because you have a Maserati doesn't mean you hve to be totally stupid about spending money. I'll spend when it means something but am happy to save when I can.

·
Registered
88 Posts
actually its an aprillia 50cc chiped for speed upto 60 mph. With a convienient cargo box and fits two people easily. Can't beat that. Safety is obviously an issue. But I figure if I could drive one for a year in Athens, Greece with all the rediculous and chaotic driving habbits of the Greeks, shouldn't be too difficult on us side streets. I'm avoiding highways like the plague. Its my intention to set a scooter trend in NC..... :)
I drove one papaki for a day in Athens.... hmmm... never again... I'll stick with my sister's polo when I go and visit Athens

·
Registered
203 Posts
At the expense of some ridicule.....

I too have a BMW R1150RT and also a Vespa ET4 (150cc) that, admittedly, I bought for my wife. Different machines for different things, surely, but I love that Vespa! Acceleration is brisk, it's fun to drive, and supremely maneuverable. I wouldn't travel outside of the Naples city limits with it, but I have zero issues with the image problem some complain about. Having spent alot of time in Italy, everbody uses them-not just pretty young girls. In fact, I saw Bobby Rahal at the St. Pete Gran Prix a couple of weeks ago riding one to and from various paddock locations. Now if Bobby doesn't have an image problem....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.