Maserati Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I am looking at a 2014 GT in a different state and can possibly fly there very easily and drive the car back home. I want to get a PPI done prior to me even flying there. How do I get that done? The party is saying that he has the ownership at hand. What should I be looking at? and what kind of complexities I will have when I bring the car back to CA?

·
Registered
413 Posts
You’ll want to find an independent shop that works on those cars and is close-ish to the location you’re buying it from.

Have the seller drive it over to the shop, you’ll coordinate paying the shop, regardless if you decide to not buy it due to finding issues.

Any service records ahead of time would be helpful to know what’s been done and at what interval.

·
Registered
2013 Maserati GranTurismo Sport
476 Posts
You’ll want to find an independent shop that works on those cars and is close-ish to the location you’re buying it from.

Have the seller drive it over to the shop, you’ll coordinate paying the shop, regardless if you decide to not buy it due to finding issues.

Any service records ahead of time would be helpful to know what’s been done and at what interval.
yep, I had a Ferrari dealer do mine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks Man, and is there a level of PPI that I should do (like some mention a deeper inspection costing more)?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks Man, and is there a level of PPI that I should do (like some mention a deeper inspection costing more)?
Nothing unique to this car that you would or wouldn't do for another. You usually have just a visual inspection and a driving test. You'll want to confirm with the shop doing the PPI that they're testing all the buttons on the steering column, controls on the dash, front seats moving, alarm works, etc... It's also worth noting how the wear is on the pads/rotors/tires. If you're looking at changing pads/rotors/tires, you're probably in it for a few grand at an independent shop, and might be able to negotiate the sale of the car on some of that... or not.

It's just good to know if there's any immediate expenses after making the purchase.

Pretty much all the same stuff you'd look for on any car. Luckily there's not too many bells n whistles on the GT.

Here's the general maintenance schedule to follow, which will help confirm what has or hasn't been done at whatever mileage the car is at: Maserati GranTurismo Service Schedule - Raleigh NC

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing unique to this car that you would or wouldn't do for another. You usually have just a visual inspection and a driving test. You'll want to confirm with the shop doing the PPI that they're testing all the buttons on the steering column, controls on the dash, front seats moving, alarm works, etc... It's also worth noting how the wear is on the pads/rotors/tires. If you're looking at changing pads/rotors/tires, you're probably in it for a few grand at an independent shop, and might be able to negotiate the sale of the car on some of that... or not.

It's just good to know if there's any immediate expenses after making the purchase.

Pretty much all the same stuff you'd look for on any car. Luckily there's not too many bells n whistles on the GT.

Here's the general maintenance schedule to follow, which will help confirm what has or hasn't been done at whatever mileage the car is at: Maserati GranTurismo Service Schedule - Raleigh NC
I found a Maserati dealership in that town, is that a good place to go for it while I am not there to get it done? The seller is ready to drive it to the dealership as long as I am paying for it. Also the seller told me that the rear breaks are probably going to need work...how much should that cost in ballpark? Also he got the front bumper and left door painted recently...should that be of any concern if the paint looks all right?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Lots of folks have mixed reviews on Maserati dealerships... for a PPI though, I'd find a solid independent shop and have them handle it.

Paint correction is usually related to an accident, just depends how big of a deal that accident was. So you'll want to check general alignment, make sure it's all solid, check gaps on the panels that were painted to make sure they reinstalled it correctly. None of this is a show stopper, unless there was a lot more damage covered up, behind the recently painted panels.

Lots of folks mess up the front bumper just because it sits so low, but since it was the front bumper and left door, it's possible someone just reversed into it, causing no more damage than just a bit of paint/body work. Not a big deal at all, and not uncommon with a used car.

·
Registered
660 Posts
NO money transfers hands till you see it unless its new

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lots of folks have mixed reviews on Maserati dealerships... for a PPI though, I'd find a solid independent shop and have them handle it.

Paint correction is usually related to an accident, just depends how big of a deal that accident was. So you'll want to check general alignment, make sure it's all solid, check gaps on the panels that were painted to make sure they reinstalled it correctly. None of this is a show stopper, unless there was a lot more damage covered up, behind the recently painted panels.

Lots of folks mess up the front bumper just because it sits so low, but since it was the front bumper and left door, it's possible someone just reversed into it, causing no more damage than just a bit of paint/body work. Not a big deal at all, and not uncommon with a used car.
Thanks Bro, I found an independent shop in the seller city that is recommended by the community here (this is why I love this platform) whereas the Maserati dealership in the city told me that they have stopped doing PPIs due to liability reasons. what a joke! that you won't even inspect the cars you have made. The owner at the shop gave me an estimate of $350-500 (depending on how many errors codes come up) is that a fair price for a PPI from an independent?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'd go with a referral from the forums here, before taking a leap of faith based solely on Google/Yelp reviews.

In AZ, it was around $250 for an inspection and driving test for me. Good shops are hard to find, and you're out of state... so even if you're paying a bit more, you at least know you're getting the correct people working on it.

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
235 Posts
I used PomCar to get my PPI when buying out of state. They were fast and the report is fairly detailed. I'd recommend although I would have preferred them to be a bit tougher than they were. I saw a couple things (very minor) that weren't shown on the PPI.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm in Arizona and bought my 2014 GT in Tennessee. The car still had CPO warranty. The car lived all it's imported life in TN and was always serviced at the Maserati dealership. In addition to the information and records the seller gave me, I also called the Maserati dealership and talked to a tech that worked on the car and he gave me a service history...the dealership also gave me their service records. I didn't do a PPI on this one but did on two others I was looking at. So as others have said the PPI will help inform your decision. I flew out to TN to see and drive the car and then had it shipped to Arizona enclosed transport. Good luck with your purchase. I love my car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Folks, I am looking at a 2014 GT in a different state and can possibly fly there very easily and drive the car back home. I want to get a PPI done prior to me even flying there. How do I get that done? The party is saying that he has the ownership at hand. What should I be looking at? and what kind of complexities I will have when I bring the car back to CA?
Hey I just sold my car to D&C motors in portland oregon and it is now for sale. It’s a white 2014 gt sport. With brand new Michelin p4s with only 8k on the tires. The car has only 22k miles. I’d talk to Avery at D&C he’s a nice guy and will help you out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts