Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parts list:

1 x Ford Flex or Lincoln Mks 17'' Temporary Spare Tire and rim. 17x4 rim and T155-70-17 tire. ebay: $75 + $25 shipping

1 pair x TunerLugs 1/2" (12mm) Wheel Rims 5-lug Spacer Spacers
ebay $22 shipped

1 x Jack from a corolla - I already had it.

1 x Wheel brace, I already had it.

Grand Total: $122

Notes:
- There is some conflicting information on the internet but the QP does appear to have ford pattern hubs, which worked out well in this case.
- The 17x4 rim clears the caliper hight wise but needs spacers to clear the width, perhaps a spare from a modern shelby with big brakes might bolt right on, but these typically bid quite high on ebay because people do brake upgrades to mustangs and then need them. As an added bonus, I can use the standard wheel lugs with the spacers.
- I would prefer going with spacers that are steel and just have the correct holes drilled, then drill out to accommodate the two bolts holding the disc in place. I'll pick some up at the next swap meet I go to, or better yet go with one fatter spacer. These will get me by for now though.
- You have to let a lot of air out of the tire, but not all of it out to get it into the wheel well. It fits very well. Good thing the QP already comes with a pump hey!

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
This is great, and the parts needed are on their way. The wheel/tire set arrives tomorrow and the spacers came today.

Quick q. Do you need BOTH spacers, or just one? I see both used in the picture, but a 1" spacer is a big old offset. Just want to double-check. I guess if the lugnuts are long enough then it'd be ok in an emergency.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used both spacers, and that gave me nice clearance and still about 90% of the lug bolts coming through as with the stock wheel. I suppose when I get once larger, steel spacer I could go a little thinner.

So I do pose one question to the forum, I'm 100% sure this is fine on the front. And a slightly odd circumference wheel on the back should be OK with a conventional differential, but does the Maserati have something out of the ordinary that would cause an issue using this on the back? I'm not so familiar with the locking and traction control systems on the Maserati. I'm assuming it's fine and the diff will sort it out, but thought it worth asking.

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
I can only say that the Maserati-branded spare is meant to work both front and back and it's not drastically different than what you're putting together here. These words are nothing official, of course, just my observation.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Confirming the "budget spare"

So after figuring out that my QP doesn't have a spare or runflat tires, and getting sticker shock at the spare kit from the dealer, I want to check my math before I jump in and order everything from ebay...

The overall diameter of a tire is the Diameter of the rim + 2 * Section Height of the tire. The Section Height = Tread Width * Aspect Ratio.

So, for example in my QP, the front tires are 245/35ZR20's so:
Section Height = 245mm * .35 = 85.75 mm / 25.4 = 3.376"
Diameter = 20" (rim) + 3.376" + 3.376" = 26.75"

The budget spare is a T155/70R17 so:
Section Height = 155mm * .70 = 108.5 mm / 25.4 = 4.27"
Diameter = 17" (rim) + 4.27" + 4.27" = 25.54"

So, Will the 1.2" difference in diameter be an issue??

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thinking my recently bought QP wouldn't have a factory spare, I bought the
Ford flex spare on e-bay. Turns out the car had the factory spare.

Thought some comparison measurements might be useful to somebody.
First 2 are of the factory spare. Second 2 are the Ford flex spare which along with the spacers will be going on e-bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
kReverse the wheel? but has anyone tried this on the road, that is, without the spacers? I wonder if the lug nuts will seat properly...? The spacers are only about $20US.
Given how much less expensive this spare solution is when compared to the OEM spare from the dealer, I think its crazy to start cutting back on parts. At the end of the day, you've got a $100K car riding on a sub $100 spare solution. Do you really need to get the cost of the spare down to $80? Just buy the spacers and give yourself some piece of mind that you're not pressing your luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spare donut for Maserati quatroporte

Hello Guys I am new at the Ms forum.
I am looking for spare donut, but they are around $ 1,300.00 form England and more at the Maserati dealer in USA.
Ihave seen some info by the forum that a FORD donut fits?...
I have 20" tires on my car, will a 17" donut be OK?...

Also, I have seen about the spacer?.... Can some one explain to me where I can get the the FORD wheel, tire, and spacers?
Are spacers dificult to install?...

Thank you for all the help..
Regards,
Ozzie Biancardi
Email: [email protected]om

·
Registered
237 Posts
Given how much less expensive this spare solution is when compared to the OEM spare from the dealer, I think its crazy to start cutting back on parts. At the end of the day, you've got a $100K car riding on a sub $100 spare solution. Do you really need to get the cost of the spare down to $80? Just buy the spacers and give yourself some piece of mind that you're not pressing your luck.
I was just asking a rhetorical question. I personally would never reverse the wheel having already bought the spacers, as one should. If for some reason in an emergency one managed to have a donut spare without spacers...well, it might be attempted to reverse the wheel, but I have never tried this, and am not recommending it. As for the other persons question about where to purchase the donut and spacers, I found mine on Ebay, from separate vendors of course. Again, the donut with the closest circumference for my 09 QP with 19" wheels does not fit perfectly in the trunk well. I had to remove the inflation valve to super compress the donut, then reinstall the valve once the donut spare was jammed into the trunk well, so the spare now has a slight vacuum while in storage, but it fits and all is fine. I cannot imagine anyone paying $1300 for a spare tire.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I know of a shop that I deal with has a complete spare tire assembly for sale. Everything is included, spare tire, air pump, jack, lug wrench, even the plastic tray and cover that it all sits in. If anyone is interested, I can PM his contact info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 20" tires on my car it fit fine

I did the spare tire 1 x Ford Flex or Lincoln Mks 17'' Temporary Spare Tire and rim. 17x4 rim and T155-70-17 tire. ebay: $75 + $25 shipping

ebay $22 shipped
found everything on ebay no problem!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Tire shop spare - CA

I know of a shop that I deal with has a complete spare tire assembly for sale. Everything is included, spare tire, air pump, jack, lug wrench, even the plastic tray and cover that it all sits in. If anyone is interested, I can PM his contact info.

Hi there
can i have your contact info? I live in SF, CA.. .and tired of waiting 3 days for a tire to get in stock and being stranded.

I have a 2009 QP S with 285-35-19 and no one ever has them in stock. I also have the BIGGER brakes in the front and back.

-David

·
Registered
110 Posts
hi
can i have this shop contact? I have '09 QP S with 285-35-19, tired of being stuck on the side of the road waiting 3 days since no one has these tires in stock.

thanks
David

*my car has the bigger brakes on front and rear too (S/ GTS) 360mm rotors 6 piston fronts, 4 piston rear Brembos

·
Registered
2 Posts
Parts list:

1 x Ford Flex or Lincoln Mks 17'' Temporary Spare Tire and rim. 17x4 rim and T155-70-17 tire. ebay: $75 + $25 shipping

ebay $22 shipped

1 x Jack from a corolla - I already had it.

1 x Wheel brace, I already had it.

Grand Total: $122

Notes:
- There is some conflicting information on the internet but the QP does appear to have ford pattern hubs, which worked out well in this case.
- The 17x4 rim clears the caliper hight wise but needs spacers to clear the width, perhaps a spare from a modern shelby with big brakes might bolt right on, but these typically bid quite high on ebay because people do brake upgrades to mustangs and then need them. As an added bonus, I can use the standard wheel lugs with the spacers.
- I would prefer going with spacers that are steel and just have the correct holes drilled, then drill out to accommodate the two bolts holding the disc in place. I'll pick some up at the next swap meet I go to, or better yet go with one fatter spacer. These will get me by for now though.
- You have to let a lot of air out of the tire, but not all of it out to get it into the wheel well. It fits very well. Good thing the QP already comes with a pump hey!
I know I am resurrecting a very old thread, but any chance of a link to the correct spacers?

Thanks

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'm located in Europe so it is not wise to buy a wheel from US.

So, did anyone try this with a european Ford model? Which one?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts