Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Jeff,

My local dealer, Baker Auto of Charleston, SC is telling me it’s almost time for a brake job and that they suggest I get new rotors too. Is this necessary? I never did that with my Ghibli which was always serviced in Charlotte at Foreign Cars Italia.

Baker here in Charleston is quoting me $5K for front and back including rotors, they say it’s best for minimal wear and noise reduction. I have asked them to quote this for me without rotors.

We have local exotic repair shops here that will install for the cost of labor if you send or bring them parts.

Do you guys sell brake pads for this car and if so how much for front and back?

My e-mail is [email protected]

Thank you,

Scott

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Hey Jeff,

My local dealer, Baker Auto of Charleston, SC is telling me it’s almost time for a brake job and that they suggest I get new rotors too. Is this necessary? I never did that with my Ghibli which was always serviced in Charlotte at Foreign Cars Italia.

Baker here in Charleston is quoting me $5K for front and back including rotors, they say it’s best for minimal wear and noise reduction. I have asked them to quote this for me without rotors.

We have local exotic repair shops here that will install for the cost of labor if you send or bring them parts.

Thank you,

Scott
You might want to just call them. Fwiw I have their pads and rotors and it was less than half that. And they’re good.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks I did, the dealer is saying no matter what you do you need rotors so I’m going to buy the whole kit, pads, rotors, et al and shop some local indy’s for the install.
With that logic, you should also replace all 4 tires too. :oops:

If the pads/rotors are below spec, they should be replaced. If not, no need to spend the money.

If you're placing an order with FD, you may want to look into their Air Filter as well.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
No disrespect to Mr. Baker or his auto group employees and staff. They sell a ton of GMC trucks over there in Charleston, which, no doubt, also comes equipped with brake rotors. Point is, they move a looooootttt of product! (the 5k "Covid Tax" quote comes to mind). I would be willing to bet that they don't care much for you trying to 'pinch your pennies' when it comes to a Maserati Granturismo. All I'm saying is at least have them measured by someone other than Baker's boys. Like Mr.bobdou and others have said, no need to spend money for no reason. ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No disrespect to Mr. Baker or his auto group employees and staff. They sell a ton of GMC trucks over there in Charleston, which, no doubt, also comes equipped with brake rotors. Point is, they move a looooootttt of product! (the 5k "Covid Tax" quote comes to mind). I would be willing to bet that they don't care much for you trying to 'pinch your pennies' when it comes to a Maserati Granturismo. All I'm saying is at least have them measured by someone other than Baker's boys. Like Mr.bobdou and others have said, no need to spend money for no reason. ;)
Great advice guys, thank you to everyone. I have it at an independent shop now waiting for a 2nd opinion and 2nd quote. Really appreciate you all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Jeff,

Thank you,

Scott
Hey Scott,

I’m in charleston too. Euro road and racing is telling me they’re no longer working on these cars outside of oil changes. Where are you getting yours serviced?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Scott,

I’m in charleston too. Euro road and racing is telling me they’re no longer working on these cars outside of oil changes. Where are you getting yours serviced?
Hey PM, I ended up taking it to Mt. Pleasant Auto Service Center. 1157 Hwy 41, MtP . I called them and told them what I was looking at and they said we’ve never done a Masi before but we have worked on exotics and brakes are nothing new to us. I then turned them onto Formula Dynamics and Jeff’s team did an amazing job getting them the exact right parts and all said and done it was around $3,800.00 I believe. Not cheap but those were all hi perf parts and it was still $1200.00 cheaper. Fast forward to today and they have performed to perfection. Took them a week but I have another car and it was worth the savings. The guys did an outstanding job. If you have any other q’s just lmk. If you talk tor them just refer to the blue Masi GT brake job I assure you they’ll know the car and work they did and will be happy to help you.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Pertinent thread to me as I am in market to get the highest performing, lowest dust pad combination available. They will see some track duty. Don't feel the need to go crazy as the stock pads proved to be sensational but their prices are a bit excessive and I know better. So far its between Formula Dynamics and Top Euro. Will refer to a main discussion thread to drive info this way

1 - 11 of 11 Posts