Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recent observation: Under hard driving/braking conditions I've occasionally noticed a very regular 'tat-tat-tat-tat' sound when braking. Seems to be coming from the driver side front. Hard to recreate, but seems to occur when the brakes are being applied through to after I've taken foot off the pedal. No clunking as if something's physically loose, sound like a mechanical issue.

- Loose pad, only indicated under hard braking?
- Possibly piston or other mechanical part malfunction?

Under normal conditions, no sign of this.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It sounds like the ABS is intervening early. Does the noise seem like it comes from right in front of thr driver in the engine bay? The ABS is located right next to the master cylinder. Do you feel ANYTHING in the brake pedal? If you DO , then it is the ABS. I would definetly have the car checked out. Hope this helps-Good luck--Kent

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
706 Posts
Do you feel ANYTHING in the brake pedal? If you DO , then it is the ABS.
Bluyork - This makes some sense - if your here the noise or feel it as a vibration through the car - and not through the pedal - then it may be some of the things you mentioned, e.g., loose pad, sticking caliper piston, etc. If you are feeling it directly through the pedal, then it may be connected t the ABS system.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Recent observation: Under hard driving/braking conditions I've occasionally noticed a very regular 'tat-tat-tat-tat' sound when braking. Seems to be coming from the driver side front. Hard to recreate, but seems to occur when the brakes are being applied through to after I've taken foot off the pedal. No clunking as if something's physically loose, sound like a mechanical issue.

- Loose pad, only indicated under hard braking?
- Possibly piston or other mechanical part malfunction?

Under normal conditions, no sign of this.
The MSP may also be kicking in and providing the same type of response/feedback. This happens to me occasionally.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No vibration as in when ABS kicks in. The sounds is machine-like in that it's a tapping. Back in the country next week so I'll get it sorted then.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kent, Rick, Ramp,

Yes now that I've been back with the car and able to drive - seems like the ABS. Very very subtle as they're almost imperceptible vibration on the brake pedal. And - key point - if it occurs, I shut the car down and restart, the problem isn't there, but will reoccur from time-to-time.

The sound is definitely from the front wheel drivers side. Sound occurs when applying the brake and for 2-4 seconds after removing foot from the pedal.

Will have it checked at FMLI under my friendly warranty.

Thanks for the diagnosis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.