Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get brake pads and rotors for my 2012 4.7 QP does anybody have any information on a good place to order them without paying the crazy dealer prices.

Best,

Joe
Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got great replacement brake pads (front and rear) at my local autozone for less than $100 total. There are plenty of good alternatives for replacement pads out there and quite a few posts on this forum on what pads are an exact fit.

The only thing with using non OEM pads is that break wear indicator sensors attach to the pads in a different location so they won't work with the Maserati specific calipers. It's not really an issue since it doesn't cause any warning lights to come on and you really should be replacing your brake pads well before the wear indicators actually get worn away turning on the light anyway.

Haven't found too many affordable options for brake rotors but if you switch to a less aggressive or ceramic brake pads before it's too late, your rotors should last 60-100k miles instead of being worn away to below minimum specs in under 30k by the very aggressive oem pads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2009 QP S 4.7, at just under 25K miles, was just about to hit the wear sensors on the brake pads. The rotors were clearly worn. The brakes squealed loudly (apparently -- I could not hear it, but I'm 63 so my hearing is not what it used to be).

Rusnak Pasadena Maserati Service estimate, including pads and rotors:
Front Brakes: Parts, Labor, and taxes $2933.45
Rear Brakes: Parts, Labor, and taxes $1747.44
Total: $4680.89

So, I tried doing it without the dealership. Dealership still got paid, as the installer did buy the rotors from the dealership at about a 20% discount. Bought the pads from Scuderia. The installer is a neighborhood shop that services Ferrari, Maserati, and Lamborghini.

Scuderia genuine Maserati Brembo pads:
Front pads: 620.88
Rear pads: 316.89
Delivery, duty, taxes: 109.99
Total: $1047.76

Installer:

Rotors, genuine Maserati Brembo,front: 930.00
Rotors, genuine Maserati Brembo, rear: 484.00
Tax: $137.87
Labor: $350
Total: $1901.87

So my total, including Scuderia and Installer: $2949.63
Savings over having the dealership do it all: $1731.26

So not bad!

I did investigate the Formula Dynamics brake kit, which looks very good. I like the idea of larger diameter brakes in the front, and the reduction in weight.

I think the cost of the FD kit would be
Front: $1895
Rear: $1495
Labor $350
Taxes etc about $350
Total about: $4100

I did not like the idea that the rear rotors would still be the same size. Also, I decided that Ferrari knows performance brakes, and the OEM Maserati brakes are Brembo already. And finally, I found that our generation of QP stops EXTREMELY well compared to any competition, matching the braking performance of the Ferrari Enzo for crying out loud.

Summary:
Dealership: $4700
FD Kit: $4100
Local Installer: $3000

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also: My discs were not at the minimum yet, and I was able to find a local machine shop (the nearest machine shop!) to re-grind and polish my old discs, and they are still over the minimum. There was no problem related to the drilled disks whatsoever. They were then covered in light grease, put in plastic bags, and back in the OEM Maserati boxes to wait to be installed next time.

Each disc was measured for thickness, compared agains the minimum stamped on the outside edge of each disc. After polishing, each was still above minimum by a mm or so, so safe to use again.

When I was young, it was standard procedure at performance mechanic shops to resurface even brand new discs to ensure they were flat enough, as mass production tool wear can lead to incorrectly surfaced discs and therefore disc noise.

Why modern shops refuse to resurface discs is a mystery to me.

The cost to re-grind and polish was $70 per disc, $280 total. It took an afternoon.

$280 vs $1414 for new.

·
Super Moderator
4,235 Posts
I did not like the idea that the rear rotors would still be the same size
Any particular reason? Most braking effort is on the front discs. The harder you brake the more that shifts forward. Just curious.

Why modern shops refuse to resurface discs is a mystery to me.
Because it's not worth it or needed any more in short. I'm a little younger than you and have never ever had (or indeed needed) to have a set of discs resurfaced.

C

1 - 13 of 13 Posts