Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Maserati GranTurismo Sport
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So, I just got Isabella back from the inspection. Emissions went through with flying colors and they found no error codes or mechanical issues. However, for the safety inspection, they nicked me for having the windshield tinted, the front tires were worn badly at the inner edge, so a realignment is probably necessary. They also said the front brake pads just barely pass and should be replaced as soon as possible.

So, for those of us, like me, who are completely mechanically inept, but would like to learn how to do their own brakes, does anyone have any tips for getting started? Or... perhaps even a dumbed-down step-by-step guide? Guides are good.

It's not like I drive the car very often, but any money I could save doing it myself would be wonderful, especially since I just undertook a brand new car payment -- this, in addition to just getting my Volvo serviced. XD

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million guys. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Hey guys. So, I just got Isabella back from the inspection. Emissions went through with flying colors and they found no error codes or mechanical issues. However, for the safety inspection, they nicked me for having the windshield tinted, the front tires were worn badly at the inner edge, so a realignment is probably necessary. They also said the front brake pads just barely pass and should be replaced as soon as possible.

So, for those of us, like me, who are completely mechanically inept, but would like to learn how to do their own brakes, does anyone have any tips for getting started? Or... perhaps even a dumbed-down step-by-step guide? Guides are good.

It's not like I drive the car very often, but any money I could save doing it myself would be wonderful, especially since I just undertook a brand new car payment -- this, in addition to just getting my Volvo serviced. XD

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million guys. :)
Slap these puppies on the front and forget about it! They're what i use. The brakes on this car are as easy as it gets, pretty much...even for the mechanically inept. 👍
Check the tutorial in this thread, and you're all set. You will probably surprise yourself, and save a ton of cash in the process. :cool:

Reactions: jetspeed

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick update. I was curious what the Maserati dealership would charge for a front brake service and alignment.

$2,000 for the brakes.
Another $275 for the alignment.

😱😱😱😵😵😵

Now I see why every owner I've talked to recommends doing your own servicing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quick update. I was curious what the Maserati dealership would charge for a front brake service and alignment.

$2,000 for the brakes.

😱😱😱😵😵😵

That, or go with a good independent shop that knows these cars

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts

$2,000 for the brakes.

😱😱😱😵😵😵

Don't let a brake job scare you, Brembo brakes are designed to change brake pads quickly. Hundreds of DIY videos. Make sure and search the threads for alignment specs, you can save your inside of your tires. I had my local Goodyear shop align mine for only $89, their computer had the Maserati Granturismo specs and required no special tools, Just weight in the seat or seats.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Or let me do it for you, give you a great MEMBER RATE too... $1000 :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't let a brake job scare you, Brembo brakes are designed to change brake pads quickly. Hundreds of DIY videos. Make sure and search the threads for alignment specs, you can save your inside of your tires. I had my local Goodyear shop align mine for only $89, their computer had the Maserati Granturismo specs and required no special tools, Just weight in the seat or seats.
The only thing that made me hesitate doing the brakes myself was how I'd be able to tell whether I need to the rotors refinished or replaced. It doesn't look difficult from what I've seen, but as someone who's never touched a car mechanically before, I can't help but think about the consequences of getting it wrong.

Cue all the gearheads here rolling their eyes at me. 😅

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Or let me do it for you, give you a great MEMBER RATE too... $1000 :D
You're joking, but I'd still let you do it before the dealership. 🤣

·
Registered
263 Posts
The brake job is easy but since you mentioned that you're mechanically inept you shouldn't do a brake job as a first project (maybe change air filter or oil) unless you have an experienced friend to assist. You also need to pump the brakes (step on brake pedal 3-4 times) after the pads are installed...simple stuff that you can miss and be deadly. You may be better off to purchase the brake pads online and have an independent shop do it, probably for $300-400 labor.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The front brake pads are VERY easy to change if you have done any work on brakes before. You don't even need to remove the calipers.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The brake job is easy but since you mentioned that you're mechanically inept you shouldn't do a brake job as a first project (maybe change air filter or oil) unless you have an experienced friend to assist. You also need to pump the brakes (step on brake pedal 3-4 times) after the pads are installed...simple stuff that you can miss and be deadly. You may be better off to purchase the brake pads online and have an independent shop do it, probably for $300-400 labor.
If you buy the FD brake pads, they give you step by step instructions on how to properly bed the brakes once installed. Pretty simple to do (and fun!)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes, Brembo brakes are very easy to work onl. I can probably change pads blind folded if the tools are all lined up. But for safety sake, I still won't recommend this as a first project for a rookie to work alone...not worth the risk. It's up to him.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Really appreciate the advice, everyone! I think I may wind up just having the pads installed professionally. Then all I need is to finish off the sticky buttons. It's sloooooow going. x_x

1 - 17 of 17 Posts