Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Masi Friends,

My car now has 40K miles on it and is right at the point where it’s almost time for some brake pads front and rear. The Masi dealer, Baker Auto here in Charleston, is telling me they normally replace the rotors too “so that the pads don’t wear as much and for possible noise reduction”, and that for the full service the cost is going to be $5,000.00. I’ve never heard this theory of automatically replacing rotors vs just the pads so I’ve asked them to quote it again, pads only so I’ll have that cost in the morning. I had a Ghibli before this car and had a full break service done at Foreign Cars Italia, the dealer in Charlotte, NC for 1/2 that price and never had an issue.

Can you guys weigh in please and let me know what your thoughts are on this topic and what you pay for a typical brake job for your GT?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Scott

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hello Masi Friends,

My car now has 40K miles on it and is right at the point where it’s almost time for some brake pads front and rear. The Masi dealer, Baker Auto here in Charleston, is telling me they normally replace the rotors too “so that the pads don’t wear as much and for possible noise reduction”, and that for the full service the cost is going to be $5,000.00. I’ve never heard this theory of automatically replacing rotors vs just the pads so I’ve asked them to quote it again, pads only so I’ll have that cost in the morning. I had a Ghibli before this car and had a full break service done at Foreign Cars Italia, the dealer in Charlotte, NC for 1/2 that price and never had an issue.

Can you guys weigh in please and let me know what your thoughts are on this topic and what you pay for a typical brake job for your GT?

Scott
Unless you have been tracking the car, replacing rotors at 40K miles dont sound right... They are brembo calipers so any garage could replace the pads... I would recommend buying EBC yellow or red pads yourself and walking them into a shop for a quote... Make sure you buy six piston pads for the front... 4 piston on the back...
R/R Maserati GT brake job takes 2hrs if the car is on a lift.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Unless you have been tracking the car, replacing rotors at 40K miles dont sound right... They are brembo calipers so any garage could replace the pads... I would recommend buying EBC yellow or red pads yourself and walking them into a shop for a quote... Make sure you buy six piston pads for the front... 4 piston on the back...
R/R Maserati GT brake job takes 2hrs if the car is on a lift.
Thank you, this is very helpful, the car has never been tracked and though I have my moments with the gas pedal on the occasional lonely stretch I do drive it like an adult so no harder on the brakes then normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hello Masi Friends,

Scott
Whatever you do, don't spend 5k on a brake/rotor job. The only time I would replace rotors would be if I had vibration/shaking during braking, otherwise just replace pads only. My rotors have gone through 2 different sets of pads, about 70k miles.
I do my own brakes so it's only the cost of pads for me. $145 for Hawk Ceramics on the front and $90 for Hawk Ceramics on the rear.

Reactions: Sakyubasu

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whatever you do, don't spend 5k on a brake/rotor job. The only time I would replace rotors would be if I had vibration/shaking during braking, otherwise just replace pads only. I do my own so it's only the cost of pads for me. $145 for Hawk Ceramics on the front and $90 for Hawk Ceramics on the rear.
Thank you! I thought that was outrageous even for a dealer.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yea brake pads with exotics are the best hustle if youre not a DIY'er.... A Brembo six caliper sits on Ferrari, Maserati and Aston's...... The pad is the same...

Cost when you search by car:
Maserati= $100 to $140 for front
Aston Martin= $200 to $300
Ferrari= $400 and up...

Search by pad part number
Here are the front...
EBC-Brakes-DP41591R-Yellowstuff-Street-And-Track-Brake-Pad

Tim mentioned Hawks
Hawk Performance HB616Z.607 Performance Ceramic Brake Pad

·
Registered
258 Posts
At 26k miles my rotors have about 30-40% life left. So I wouldn’t assume yours don’t need replacement... given my #s, I’d expect yours are due for replacement.

Just get them measured or buy this and measure it yourself with wheels on: iGaging Brake Rotor Gauge Wheels On Large Digital Electronic Display Caliper: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

It will save you an hour+ of waiting for a shop to measure them. Fronts should be 30mm or higher, rears need to be 26mm or higher.

Below specs, replace them. Takes 5 minutes to measure all 4 rotors.

Brake pads are pretty basic on this car..all you need is a 22mm socket ($6) and about 1.5 hours. Plenty of YouTube videos on brake jobs for this car... it is just like any other car when it comes to brake pad replacement.

If you don’t want to bother with the labor yourself, expect to spend ~$200ish for a shop to do it. By the time you drive to a shop, get a ride back home, go back, pay, wait in line, etc... you’ll already be done yourself.

I went with EBC since they’ve joined our forum. YellowStuff is what you want if you’re not tracking the car and still enjoy aggressive stopping power. Was about $250 for front/rear. I’ll be posting a review/insight after I run through another 100 miles.

Formula Dynamics also has great pads, extended wear, low dust, etc..

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At 26k miles my rotors have about 30-40% life left. So I wouldn’t assume yours don’t need replacement... given my #s, I’d expect yours are due for replacement.

Just get them measured or buy this and measure it yourself with wheels on: iGaging Brake Rotor Gauge Wheels On Large Digital Electronic Display Caliper: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

It will save you an hour+ of waiting for a shop to measure them. Fronts should be 30mm or higher, rears need to be 26mm or higher.

Brake pads are pretty basic on this car..all you need is a 22mm socket ($6) and about 1.5 hours. Plenty of YouTube videos on brake jobs for this car... it is just like any other car when it comes to brake pad replacement.

If you don’t want to bother with the labor yourself, expect to spend ~$200ish for a shop to do it. By the time you drive to a shop, get a ride back home, go back, pay, wait in line, etc... you’ll already be done yourself.

I went with EBC since they’ve joined our forum. YellowStuff is what you want if you’re not tracking the car and still enjoy aggressive stopping power. Was about $250 for front/rear. I’ll be posting a review/insight after I run through another 100 miles.

Thank you, I dropped Jeff a note but

Thank you, I dropped Jeff at Formula a note but I think this set will do the trick, I’m not a DIY guy but we have plenty of hi end repair shops here that are quoting around $300 in labor.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I’d check out local brake shops that just do brakes too. Can’t go wrong with FD pads!!

Although it may be a good time to find a decent local independent shop that works on these cars..

·
Registered
260 Posts
5K for entire brake job at dealer is normal and typical ripoff. No need new rotors at 40K miles. Just buy good ceramic pads and get a local mechanic to replace in his sleep for few hundred at most...these are Brembo pads, you can replace blind folded...no need to remove calipers.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
DIY it, Or any shop can replace them, just buy the pads recommended above. These are your everyday Brembo brakes, Tons of videos online.........One of the easies brakes you will ever install.

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
86 Posts
Hello Masi Friends,

Scott
We would love you to try out our products. Take a look at Where to buy EBC Products and if you need any further help, just shout...

·
Registered
Quattroporte Sport GTS 2012
5 Posts
I spoke to my dealer’s workshop manager and he says that a rotor will typically last for 3 sets of brake pads, as the brake pads are quite aggressive - that is on a 2012 QP which I believe has the same set-up but is a bit heavier than the GT. But in the end, replacing a rotor is a function of how thick they are - when they get close to minimums and you are replacing pads you should also replace the rotor, as simple as that. It is not a big job, but the parts are expensive. For reference I just replaced today my front pads and rotors on a BMW X5 and that cost $800 here in South Africa where labour is a lot cheaper (but parts are the same or more expensive). Maserati (Brembo) pads and rotors are a LOT more expensive.....

·
Registered
2008 QP139 4.2
133 Posts
try rock auto. great selection and low prices even on ceramics. You'd be surprised what they have for Masi.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello. I'm surprised to hear most people on here have life left in their rotors at 40k. I bought a 2011 GT with 15k miles on it and the rotors were wore down past minimum causing me to replace them. I since had an unfortunate accident leaving me to shop around for a new GT. I looked at 6 total in the 20k-26k mile range and all needed new rotors as well including the 2013 I ended up purchasing. I just figured it's a GT thing and they wear out quick. I purchased a full kit of rotors, pads and sensors from Alpine Performance for $1400 and paid for labor at Brakes Plus. All was complete for under $2000. I agree that Brembo pads are super easy and I also recommend DIY. I wasn't confident in a rotor change though which is why I sucked it up and paid the labor.

·
Super Moderator
4,765 Posts
How did you determine that they needed replacing? People must drive hard in your area!

C

1 - 20 of 47 Posts