Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of Boras and I've always wondered why there are so many differences between them. I know there is the 4.7 engine and the 4.9 engine models, but I've found at least 4 different external variants, which I can't explain.

I've attached the following 4 different images of the front. Anyone can explain what they are all about?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The first one is a US version (to meet US safety specs at the time), the 4th one is a Euro version - can't really tell what the middle two are, but I suspect the third may be another type of US version - looks like the kind with the big "shelf"-style bumper, but wherein the bumper may have been painted, or replaced with another type of material.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed you are right, the first is the US spec version and the fourth is the Euro version. Not sure about the two in the middle, their bumpers are completely different. Custom made?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm not a Bora expert, but this is what I think:

The first three are US versions; first and third are early types (with chrome bumpers), second is a later type, but I don't think the color matched bumper is original; should probably be black rubber.

Fourth is European version, early type; the later type has louvred air intakes on the bonnet.

There are additional differences between very early and later cars, such as the shape of the headlight covers and wheel hub caps, etc.

Gabriel

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm interesting since the second one doesn't have the side reflectors required for US-spec cars, so its probably something else.

You can see more pictures of that car in mobile (German site for used cars): Maserati Bora 4,9 - Cars: Detail View

·
Registered
683 Posts
hmm interesting since the second one doesn't have the side reflectors required for US-spec cars, so its probably something else.

You can see more pictures of that car in mobile (German site for used cars): Maserati Bora 4,9 - Cars: Detail View
Hi Maserati Blue,
I don't think there is any doubt about it: The silver car is US-spec. The bumpers are the give-away.

Regarding the side reflectors; well, my guess is that they were removed at some point, probably when the car was resprayed (including those color-matched bumpers)...

Cheers,
Gabriel

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It must be so, I don't know of any other region with similar bumper rules.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts