Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there managed to find a boot rack for carrying mountain bikes on a 4200 coupe? Been doing a few searches but no success so far. Help would be much appreciated - having to drive the wife's Toyota Celica when going off biking, it's just not the same...

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I thought about getting a rack for the Maser, then thought better of it. No way my muddy self is getting in those sweet leather seats, and no way I'm risking a pedal ding or other mishap. Buy a beater car for 1000 pounds and feel free to abuse it. :)

I have my Infiniti FX set up with three rails - one for the Maverick MTB, one for the singlespeed, and one for the 'cross bike. I also quarantine all of the foul smelling bike gear in the back of the FX. So much for that "new car smell".

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice bike collection, I just have a Cannondale Scalpel and a commuter bike, get out most weekends in the hills round here and commute to work occasionally - take the pressure off the Maser's clutch!

I know where you are coming from on a spare car, I just like driving the Maser everywhere...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Tex said:
Has anyone out there managed to find a boot rack for carrying mountain bikes on a 4200 coupe? Been doing a few searches but no success so far. Help would be much appreciated - having to drive the wife's Toyota Celica when going off biking, it's just not the same...
I found a great solution for my QP; don't know if the same concept will work on the 4200. I had a shop (in Los Angeles) that specialized in custom hitches make a hitch in which the hitch was mounted between the gas tank and the bumber pointing downward. The hitch was high enough to not be seen without looking under the car. Then they made a "L" bracket that went up into the hitch and then created a hitch in the normal horizontal orientation to receive the bike rack. The L bracket is removeable so nothing can be seen when the rack is not mounted. All works perfectly.

Good luck

Ken

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ken, good idea. Just one question, did your car already have mountings for a bar between the tank and bumper or did the shop have tp fabricate those also? Just trying to get an idea of how big a job it would be.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Tex said:
Thanks Ken, good idea. Just one question, did your car already have mountings for a bar between the tank and bumper or did the shop have tp fabricate those also? Just trying to get an idea of how big a job it would be.
Hey Tex, no nothing was already in place. They kept the car for two days and the total cost was about $700 U.S. Dollars.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
The one danger with a hitch rack on a vehicle with a high output engine and dual exhausts is, quite literally, melting the tires. I've seen this on a few vehicles - after a long ride to a race, people arrive with one or two toasted tires. :( Just something to watch out for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
RickBullotta
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing