Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've recently received my kenne bell supercharger, and we are in the process of designing/fabricating the custom manifold to accommodate the blower under the stock hood. we have all the fuel/spark sorted out, with upgraded injectors and fuel pump, 'colder' plugs and spark booster if needed, and a reputable ferrari/maserati race shop has agreed to help me out with the ECU tuning. :)

where i need your help is in the interior. i want to add a boost gauge but the positioning is limited to the a-pillar, i'm afraid (unless you have any better ideas). instead of adding an AutoMeter aftermarket gauge, i'd like to keep it 'authentic' by adding an actual maserati boost gauge. what year model maserati would have what i'm looking for, or what's a good online resource for reproduction/refurbished vintage maserati parts?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
sorry but, can't help with the gauges but, tell us what level of performance gains are you expecting from the supercharger? With moderate boost, I would think between 60-80HP is safe....100HP on the aggressive side?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry but, can't help with the gauges but, tell us what level of performance gains are you expecting from the supercharger? With moderate boost, I would think between 60-80HP is safe....100HP on the aggressive side?

with supporting mods and a proper tune, they reckon the factory long block should be able to handle 150hp on 93-octane pump gas. we're aiming for ~475whp, or about 550hp at the flywheel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i love this idea . please show us some pics of the progress. my guy here in nj does the twin turbo 360 kits,etc,etc and i dont think he has even thought of blowing a new gs yet,great project.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
LeoNardo...

Offers a 520hp package without a supercharger, just ECU, change to the intake manifold, valve timing and that's it.. Probably costs more but caught my interest...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Offers a 550hp package without a supercharger, just ECU, change to the intake manifold, valve timing and that's it.. Probably costs more but caught my interest...
are you that naive to think an extra 150hp can be had from simply reflashing the ECU and changing the intake manifold?

on their website, there is nothing listed for the GranTurismo, but on the Quattroporte/4200 they have a 520hp package (already not looking good for you), but it is a fully built engine. it is enlarged to 4.7 liters with a fully upgraded rotating assembly, reworked cylinder heads with upgraded valves, reflashed ECU, fatter camshafts, a fuel cooling system, plus upgraded intake and exhaust systems. and again, they only achieved 520hp.

"probably costs more" is an understatement.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how's about a DEFI heads up display? projects onto the windscreen, could be a very stealthy install
that would be a nice touch, but i'm not looking into making this into a 'pimp my ride' type vehicle. it's my daily driver and i'd rather not tear up the inside of the car, just to install a HUD. i don't want the down time, and i don't want the expense. :D

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Naive???

Not naive at all... With a change of cams, intake manifold, and ECU, and crankshaft to the flat plane crank, the current 4.2 litre is well within making 510hp and being very reliable. That's why the new F430 scud makes 510 hp with the exact same block, has a longer stroke, which increases the compression ratio to 11.9, and a redline of 8500rpm... For me this is all within reach for less than 3.5k and about 8 to 10 hours of work...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not naive at all... With a change of cams, intake manifold, and ECU, and crankshaft to the flat plane crank, the current 4.2 litre is well within making 510hp and being very reliable. That's why the new F430 scud makes 510 hp with the exact same block, has a longer stroke, which increases the compression ratio to 11.9, and a redline of 8500rpm... For me this is all within reach for less than 3.5k and about 8 to 10 hours of work...
Offers a 550hp package without a supercharger, just ECU, change to the intake manifold, valve timing and that's it..
get your story straight, pal. originally you mentioned it was capable of making 550hp from just ECU, intake manifold and valve timing. nowhere did you mention upgraded cams, much less an upgraded rotating assembly!

you obviously have little to no grasp when it comes to engine building. the increased compression ratio of the 430 Scuderia has absolutely nothing to do with the increase in stroke, in relation to the 4.2 Maserati.

and if you really think all of this can be done for $3500 you are absolutely retarded, for no better choice of word. even if you're talking in British pounds or Euros, that is still unreasonably and unrealistically cheap. the crankshaft and conrods alone will be well over $3500, not to mention the custom ground camshafts, ported cylinder heads, larger diameter valves and accompanying valvetrain, reflashed ECU, and all the dyno tuning to get the car to run well and reliable on pump gas.

unsubscribe to this thread and let the big boys talk. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not naive at all...
If that's the case, then perhaps you should work for LeoNardo. apparently they've got it all wrong, because you in all your wisdom can massage 510hp out of a Maser for $3.5k, when their stage 4 package only affords an extra 10hp for an extra $10k. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Mr.Nice.

GrndLkNav is actually very knowledgable when it comes to working on cars... You two dont want to get into a pissing match.

You attacked him after he mentioned that Leo is able to get horsepower out of our cars, and I think an appology is in order.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Mr Nice Guy...

I am a former Mercury Marine Master Mechanic so I am sure I don't know sh.. And as far as parts goes.. well these two buddies of mine, can get me the parts, I can do the work.. BTW, the compression ratio can be affected by either lengthing the stroke or milling the heads to decrease head space in the combustion chamber....

BTW, I did say 550hp, and trust me when I say I can get that much out of it.
BTW, I wasn't trying to tick you off, just saying that LeoNardo was claiming those kind of numbers but it probably wasn't cheap. I wasn't kicking up dirt to compete with you either, I am long past my prime in racing, and my days on the track involved a track and two skis...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mr.Nice.

GrndLkNav is actually very knowledgable when it comes to working on cars... You two dont want to get into a pissing match.

You attacked him after he mentioned that Leo is able to get horsepower out of our cars, and I think an appology is in order.
i am not apologizing for anything, because i did nothing wrong. he was wrong; i was not. he quoted 550hp from LeoNardo "without a supercharger, just ECU, change to the intake manifold, valve timing and that's it." that is 100% incorrect. why would i apologize?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you could be a master mechanic in 7 specialties, and still not have a clue on performance engine building. :rolleyes:

and it is still impossible to increase compression ratio by simply lengthening the stroke. perhaps on a 2-stroke yamaha, yes, but on a close-tolerance maserati V8, certainly not. to lengthen the stroke, you will be rebuilding the entire bottom end anyway, and thus negate any increase in compression ratio as a direct result of the stroke increase. the increases in compression ratio can only be achieved by replacing the pistons, milling the clinder heads, using a thinner head gasket, or any combination therein.

i would like to see you get 550hp out of a Maserati 4.2, emissions legal on pump gasoline. at the same time, i will get the same hp on the same criteria, for 1/5 the cost. the 7.0-liter LS1-based engine in my w2w S2000 racer dynos 590hp at the wheels with 2 standard catalytic converters, on 93-octane pump gas. i too know a little something "when it comes to working on cars," and i know enough to know when someone else is talking out of their ass, particularly a former boat mechanic who used to race snowmobiles.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mr Nice Relax a bit this is not the place for insults

One of the things that most of us love about this forum is the "Class and respect" shown to most of the members. I am not sure what the point of telling a respected member of the forum that they are retarded in their thoughts is or the end goal.

Best of luck with your upgrades...

Paul

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I know about performance engines at all...

You win.. Next time I read the technical information about the 4.2 litre corporate engine from Paolo Martinelli telling me this information I will email him and tell him you are right and he is wrong, then he can go work for LeoNardo and quit heading up engine development for Gestione Sportiva and learn how to build a performance engine. At the same time he could tell Michael to learn how to drive.... : - )

BTW, according to Paolo, not that he would know, the difference in stroke between the F430 4.2 liter (510 bhp) engine and the 4.2 liter Maserati (390 bhp) engine is 1.2 mm (79.8mm vs 81mm)and the bore is the same at 92mm. According to Paolo, not that he would know, the pistons are the same in both engines, so are the rods... The F430 uses the flat plane crank, 180 degree crank, which allows for deeper breathing but has more vibration...

BTW, Paolo, well he got 800 bhp out of 2.4 liters at 20k rpm two years ago.... No Turbo, No Supercharger, and running on gasoline... I think they called it the F248, as in 2.4 liter V8. : - )

Best part of this... Well I pulled this all out of my ... I will let Paolo know that you should be doing his job.... He might get a big chuckle out of that...

BTW, if it were not for Ferrari, the Corvette wouldn't be competitive, its a clone of the 599, that's why GM paid them 2 billion earlier this year to pay them off for the technology swap....

As for snowmobile racers, well a little canadian guy named Gilles got his start on a Ski-doo and from what I have read he did pretty well... His son Jacques has as well.

The right foot is the gas... Left foot is the brake, be careful, the thing does about 75mph...

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ah, the irony! MrNice?!?! Hardly.

i am not apologizing for anything, because i did nothing wrong. he was wrong; i was not. he quoted 550hp from LeoNardo "without a supercharger, just ECU, change to the intake manifold, valve timing and that's it." that is 100% incorrect. why would i apologize?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hang on... Let me get my popcorn and a beer. This is better than daytime TV!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts