Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled out my old air filter and got my new BMC air filter installed yesterday. It actually went pretty quick! :)

What really scared me was seeing what the old filter looked like when I removed it! There was a nice collection of leaves, cigarette butts and grit in the filter box. Also, the filter was damp on the backside and the wire mesh screen was actually rusting. Who knows how long that filter had been in there.... I'm guessing since the car was new, since it only had 12,800 miles on it when I bought it last month.

It sure made me feel better getting that new filter in there, and cleaning out the air box! If you haven't checked your air filter for awhile, I'd do it.

I know BMC recommends cleaning the air filter at about 15,000 miles, but I think I'll check it every 3000 miles when I change my oil/filter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mike,

Have you noticed any minor increase in power or a better sound from the car since replacing the filter?

Gregg

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, you have to remove the front wheel.

The steps I followed were:

• Remove wheel
  • Remove (8) screws on the front inner wheel well stone shield (there are 3 along the bottom edge, 2 about 1/2 way up, 2 at the top, and 1 lone one next to the upper "A" arm) and take out (probably the trickiest part)
  • With the stone shield out of the way, you can now see the Air Box Assembly. Now, unscrew (4) screws on the air box. After those screws are loosened, there are 2 catches you have to release on the air box (one on each side at the lower left and lower right sides)
  • Remove the cover by sliding back towards the brake caliper
  • The old filter just slides down off its mounting tube and out
  • Clean out the box
  • Install new filter
  • Assemble in Reverse order
Thats about it.

I've not noticed any additional head snapping because of extra power, but I've probably never used the full amount anyway! ;)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Depends on the area you live, where MVP is located Bridgeport, it's so dusty it's ridiculous. I typically change my air filter in all cars every 8-10k miles there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts