Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody successfully and satisfactorily installed a Bluetooth car kit in Maserati connected to the built-in audio system?

I am interested in a PHONE oriented kit; i.e. with speaker and microphone connections and possibly phone related features (dialing etc.), such as a Parrot unit or something similar?

I am not interested in a purely music (iPod, etc) oriented kit.

Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Interesting combo is the Garmin Nuvi - Nav system + MP3 + Bluetooth.

Reactions: Ricbee

·
Registered
835 Posts
Parrot CK3100 works perfectly. Installation is simple, took about 30 minutes :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great idea!

Rick,

This is a great idea! Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to disable navigation in the Nuvi, so that all the computing power will enhance the Bluetooth performance... Any suggestion?

If we do that, we might also be able to tweak the TTS to STS: Speech-To-Speech, where I speak on the phone and the other party hears "America English - Jill" or "Italiano - Silvia".

Imagine the possibilities...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Parrot 3100

haha said:
Thanks Haha.

Can you give me some general directions: where did you install the control box? where are the audio terminals of the built-in radio to be connected?

Sorry if I am asking basic questions, but all my mental cycles are consumed by trying to follow Rick's suggestions...

mmx

·
Registered
835 Posts
the radio head unit or NIT is under the arm rest with standard ISO connections, need not puchase any adapters. Follow the Parrot installation instructions with the exeception of the mute wire (not needed). Will post pictures tomorrow :)

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
C'mon, dude! You're in the valley! You must know *someone* who can hack the Nuvi for you?

If you can live with the stock navigation system, I'll be amazed. I now have an extra, easy-to-access music CD slot right in my center console! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Parrot, etc.

Thanks everybody for the input.:) Looking forward Haha's pictures, but I know now where to go and look.

BTW, I am keeping the Nuvi for navigation. Will never go back to the stock nav.

·
Registered
835 Posts
pix

The control unit is not fixed :)

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
Great pix and very helpful, but why would you want a broken control unit?

oh.....

wait.....

nevermind.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha said:

The control unit is not fixed :)
Thanks Haha for the great pictures ...and making me feel a little better with your second sentence. In 30 minutes I barely opened the thing...

I see that you seem to have accessed the connectors without lifting or removing the CD player. Great job.

I was thinking of removing the CD player, to make room for all that Parrot stuff. I don't need the navigation CD, having bought an aftermarket Garmin. Any opinion/suggestion?
Also I tried to remove the CD player but did not succeed. Found two hidden screws and a retaining metal "ring", but they did not appear enough..

·
Registered
835 Posts
Steeldream said:
Great pix and very helpful, but why would you want a broken control unit?

oh.....

wait.....

nevermind.
hahahahahhh...okay...the control unit is not mounted permanently...

·
Registered
835 Posts
mmx said:
I was thinking of removing the CD player, to make room for all that Parrot stuff. I don't need the navigation CD, having bought an aftermarket Garmin. Any opinion/suggestion?
Also I tried to remove the CD player but did not succeed. Found two hidden screws and a retaining metal "ring", but they did not appear enough..
The space behind the NIT is enough for the main box, mute switch and wire. If you still want to remove the entire NIT perhaps the picture below offers clues. I believe there are screws on either side of the unit where X is, after removed will reveal more screws.

btw...the image is taken from EUROSPARES.co.uk

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=3&Mo=495&A=2&B=28150&S=

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha said:
The space behind the NIT is enough for the main box, mute switch and wire. If you still want to remove the entire NIT perhaps the picture below offers clues. I believe there are screws on either side of the unit where X is, after removed will reveal more screws.

btw...the image is taken from EUROSPARES.co.uk

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=3&Mo=495&A=2&B=28150&S=
I am afraid the Coupe has much less space (I would define it as "none") than the Spyder, due to the presence the air conditioning ducts for the rear seats and perhaps a somewhat smaller container.
That also make accessibility to the connectors not too easy.

I will have to invest some time on this and see if I can come up with something. The image will be very useful.

·
Registered
530 Posts
that's too bad about the space - while the nav unit is useless, it's nice to have a one slot CD player in the cabin for long trips when you've heard the same song from the stacker in the trunnk for the nth time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well... low tech solution - I suppose

After some attempts, I gave up on installing the Parrot 300 Bluetooth phone interface on the Coupe. Could not figure out how to remove the whole NIT withouth causing irreparable damage and I believe there is no way I can fit the Parrot gear under the armrest -- I understand the Spyder has more space, but the Coupe has the air conditioning air ducts in there and no space left.

Because I had installed a Garmin nuvi 360 navigation system, I ended up with a relatively low tech solution of adding an FM Transmitter to it.

So I now have the nuvi doing the NAV, PHONE BLUETOOTH and MP3 PLAYER all through the car speakers. The functionality of it is very good -- not ideal, but very good and all touch screen based. Virtually replaces all the builtin unit, except for radio, and adds the phone.

Sound quality is not great, just good enough. I use a Monster FM transmitter. I have another FM Transmitter from PPA/i-dot-connect with better sound quality, but it has the annoying auto on-off feature which cannot be disabled. So, if you are only running the NAV and "Jill" does not speak for 30 seconds it turns off the transmitter and you hear all that noise through the speakers. You have to push the power-on button to get it back.

If and when I will have time I may try a direct connection from the Garmin nuvi to the NIT.

If somebody has better ideas, be glad to try.

Life is strange-- you buy an uncompromising car like a Maserati Coupe and then you end up with quite a few compromises on the audio system...

·
Registered
835 Posts
mmx said:
...I believe there is no way I can fit the Parrot gear under the armrest -- I understand the Spyder has more space, but the Coupe has the air conditioning air ducts in there and no space left...
what about the hidding it under the carpet between armrest and the driver seat?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts