Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hydro locked my engine in a larger than normal puddle.....seriously. I know this is a common problem. I need a new engine for my 02 Coupe CC. I dont care about the mileage, I just need it to run properly.

I am considering rebuilding the one that I have right now, but it may be a bit out of my abilities or the machine shops in my neck of the woods. Please contact me if you have a used motor.

Regards,

TGF

fiberhaus"at"gmail"dot"com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hydrolock

Ingesting water into an engine cylinder, either through intake or exhaust. After there is combustion in the cylinder, the water compresses and bends/breaks rods, valves, and sometimes (in my case) cracks the cylinder sleeve.

TGF

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Why not just replace the sleeve. It should be a LOT cheaper than the new engine idea... especially if you have low miles on it.

Any place with comperable skill should be able to do it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sleeve

I am considering doing that.....however it isnt just as simple as replacing it. You have to break down the entire engine to do it and that requires special tools, which I dont have. Secondly, I am "pretty sure" that the cylinder sleeve is the only major problem that happened when the lock occurred, but I cant be sure until I tear down both banks. Lastly, to replace a piston sleeve you have to put the crankcase in a heater at 500 degrees for an hour and immerse the piston sleeve in liquid nitrogen and then position both in place with minimal tolerances. Dis aint no Chevy small block. :)

TGF

·
Registered
98 Posts
Replacing a sleeve

Why not just replace the sleeve. It should be a LOT cheaper than the new engine idea... especially if you have low miles on it.

Any place with comperable skill should be able to do it...
Replacing a sleeve in a Diesel is a common place occurrence. I've done it myself but those engines are built with rebuild in mind. I'm not sure that Maserati engines will lend themselves to this type of rebuild easily. I hope I'm wrong. If any of you engine afficionados out there have experience with this please join in the discussion. :D
======================================================================
Well, obviously I need to keep up a bit before making a post. But it's as I suspected replacing a sleeve is a really major undertaking.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Why not just get a low mileage engine off Ebay...

I see them out there all the time, for about 5 or 6k with low mileage.... Most of the time it's the insurance company selling them from a totaled Maserati...

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you hydrolocked it, it may have done more subtle damage than the readily apparant catastrophic failure of the sleeve. That would have put a big squeeze on the rods and pistons. If you decide to resleeve, consider having the bottom end internals magnafluxed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I hydro locked my engine in a larger than normal puddle.....seriously. I know this is a common problem. I need a new engine for my 02 Coupe CC. I dont care about the mileage, I just need it to run properly.

I am considering rebuilding the one that I have right now, but it may be a bit out of my abilities or the machine shops in my neck of the woods. Please contact me if you have a used motor.

Regards,

TGF

fiberhaus"at"gmail"dot"com
Hello are u from the UK?
If you are check out Eurospares
http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partsListing2.asp?G=38&M=&Mo=&A=&B=&S=&SB=3&SO=1&SM=3

·
Registered
274 Posts
hydrolocked masser

My advice to you, dont, repair it , ive bought a few cars ex flood damage / hydrolocked , been there done it , once you open these engines up its like opening a kettle full of worms , no diagnostics can tell you what parts are bent broke etc untill every part is checked on the bench , ti might look like a quick cheap fix change a con rod or two a valve or two but believe me its goes on and on much much safer to go the exchange engine route or just buy a used one pref low mileage there are a few about , ive had my msser 6 months and crossed about half a dozen lumps , tend for some reason to be cheaper in the uk than the states seen one go for £3250 Gets searching for that lump

Regards loz

·
Registered
274 Posts
the air intakes on my clk are 8 inches above the ground, how stupid is that, the car was in a 4inch puddle of water at a standstill , the previous owner was stuck in a traffic jam and it deluged for only ten mins he was at the bottom of a very small hill the cars in the opposite direction started to move and he thinks it was the wave caused by them that raised the level momentarily causing it to suck up and hydrolock, good news for me i bought it off the salvage co for £11,500.00 , £2800.00 for a Brand new factory exchange engine and £600.00 to fit it good as new, the car was only 5 months old no reconditioned engines were available due to newness of the V6 2.6 so i got a new one , car owes me £15000.00 for a 7 month old merc by the time it was on the rd, dont pussy foot repairing ,

The masser 4200 air intake box is about ten inches off the ground behind the bumper so susceptable to driving through puddles , always slow down or if you can avoid it these beasts are a lot rarer than mercs hence bits are a lot harder to find

Regards loz

·
Registered
518 Posts
the best bet is ALWAYS idle through standing water the engine wont pull enough vacuum at idle to ingest the water.

and resleeving any regular gas engine is a bastard to do I have had to do it for some race motors I built a long time ago and would never do it again

·
Registered
274 Posts
beg to differ on that one .....the car wont suck up at idle , mine was proof that it did the car was stuck in traffic and at tick over ,

Regards loz Large puddle avoider

·
Registered
7 Posts
Deep paddle - stop my engine Maserati Spyder

I got to a deep paddle water today. Isaac hurricane here in FLL.
My car stop, in the middle of the all water, we move it out of water and try again and is working.
Every time I start it takes time and I need to accelerate a lot to make it run.
I hear a little sound when is running.
Any suggestions What I should do?

thanks

·
Registered
621 Posts
To the OP, if you hydrolocked on the highway/streets, have you contacted your insurance company? Depending on what the situation was, it could be considered an insurance claim. Sucks to have to go that route, but it is just a driving incident and not something like a mechanical breakdown due to normal aging/use.

Just like if you hit a pothole and it ripped a wheel off or messed up your suspension. Tire wouldn't be covered of course, but the other bits would.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Scot - the guy who posted above me resurrected a thread from 2007. He is someone different than the OP and may have different issues as well.

enblanco - you're probably better off deleting your post above me, and starting a fresh thread about the problems with YOUR car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts