Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...

Today it was the first time it was 35 degrees out since I got my car.

On the front pannel - where it shows what gear you're in... there's a outside temperature gage.

This morning - there was a snowflake blinking besides it.

I'm assuming that it's just letting me know it's near freezing a just telling me beware of frozen roads?

But just making sure that it doesn't mean - Warm up your car more before you drive (although I do that anyway.)

Anyone have a clue?

Gene

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
no worries...it just means it's officially cold outside.

·
Registered
793 Posts
It's 37 degrees on BMW and it chimes as well.

It's way too cold here in Nor Cal and I don't like it especially since the chime has 2X's come on in the past weeks!

This is California. It's not supposed to be cold!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL... thanks for the info.

And cool... I no longer have to use my cold a$$ as a gauge to see whether it's cold as heck outside.

I have my trusty blinking snowflake!

Ahhhh... what would we do without technology!

Gene

·
Registered
859 Posts
LOL... thanks for the info.

And cool... I no longer have to use my cold a$$ as a gauge to see whether it's cold as heck outside.

I have my trusty blinking snowflake!

Ahhhh... what would we do without technology!

Gene
We would open the window and taste the chill freezing at maserati speeds...;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sunny in SoCal.....

;)Monday and Tuesday it was Sunny, crystal clear and in the mid-70's in Southern California. I guess I should feel bad for all you folks in the "coldlands". So, on my way to the golf course tomorrow morning I'll "feel badly" for all yous who would rather be playing in the sunshine rather than shoveling out the driveway!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
But just making sure that it doesn't mean - Warm up your car more before you drive (although I do that anyway.)
Actually, I doubt that you'd see an appreciable difference in the amount of time the engine takes to warm up, unless maybe it's -40º out. Also, the Maser manual, concerned with your health, recommends against idling to warm the engine (especially in an enclosed space) and suggests that you go ahead and drive, but take it easy at first.

I think the temperature warning is more for you to watch for black ice. I think in our Rover it also activates the windshield and mirror defrosters.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for their comments.

I think if I see that snowflake again - I'm going to drive it right back into my garage.

After that cold streak - I had that problem with my door locks and the electronics of it.

At least for me - living in Myrtle Beach - we don't have that cold of a weather that often.

Seems like cold (and the subsequent warm up back in the garage causes condensation of some sort that messes up my car.

Gene

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
FWIW, I've never had a problem running the car when the snowflake is present. I believe it's more an indication that ICE is more likely on the roads and to be aware.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Or a suggestion to use the Snow mode on the transmission.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not 100 percent sure.

But I know that on my Lexus, "Snow Mode" just means that the car starts up at 2nd gear (bypassing 1st gear).

It does that to prevent spinning in first gear.

Gene

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
FWIW, I've never had a problem running the car when the snowflake is present. I believe it's more an indication that ICE is more likely on the roads and to be aware.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

Jeff, it's only a temperature indicator... The car performance is not affected at all... A year ago in October I went back home to Grand Lake over Berthoud Pass, 11,500 ft above MSL and it was snowing a little, the temp was at 25 degrees on top and the car ran like a champ..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts