Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some time I have been looking for a bicycle carrier for my Quattroporte. (Don't ask why one would do such a thing to this car; just accept that my other passion is bicycle riding, and I need to transport my bike!)

Problem was, the QP manual is explicit about not mounting a roof rack or a hitch (which could be used to attach a bike carrier.)

Wanting clearly to protect car's finish, I settled on the Saris "Bones RS". I spent a good length of time discussing how best to mount it with their fit engineers and am comfortable with how it sits on the car. As a precaution, I will likely place some 3M material at contact points.

The nice thing about this rack is how secure it is and that the straps are on a ratchet so easy to put on and off. I have added some pictures for your amusement!

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Looks like you solved it. So did I but differently. I have a 2005 QP and have a bike rack system for it that we've used many times. To do this I had a shop (in Los Angeles, but I think others could do it). Built and welded in place a wishbone shapped frame between the gas tank the back of the gas tank and the rear bumper pointed down; but not visible beneath the rear bumper. The thing they made is fairly lightweight and has a downward pointing small female reciever hitch. Then they made an L shaped bracket that slides up into the permanent wishbone shaped frame piece. When mounted the L bracket provides a solid standard 1.25 inch hitch reciever facing the back - like a normal hitch. Then any hitch mounted bike rack can be used.

Its all just perfect. Nothing touches any finished surface and when the L bracket is not in place it is completely invisible. Its very quick and easy to slide the L bracket in to place, slide the pin in to hold it in place and then mount the rack. It's a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like an elegant solution. What rack did you end up using? If you had any pictures I would be most interested in seeing exactly how you did it; I am not sure I quite understand the design of the wishbone, and where it is attached to frame.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Classic. I ended up buying a second car just for carrying my bikes (well, just as importantly, my wet and muddy bike gear, tools, hammer gels, etc...).

My riding bros suggested sheet metal screws into the roof of my Coupe...not!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sounds like an elegant solution. What rack did you end up using? If you had any pictures I would be most interested in seeing exactly how you did it; I am not sure I quite understand the design of the wishbone, and where it is attached to frame.
Its difficult to take a useful photo of the welded-in piece, as all that is really visible is the reciever for the Bracket. One photo shows the welded-in piece between the burgundy bumper and the gas tank. Perhaps I shouldn't have said "wishbone" its more of a U shaped bracket mounted vertically with the top two points of the U welded to some frame piece above. The standard 1.25 reciever then points straight down from the bottom of the U, aligning with the bottom of the bumper.

In the bracket photo you can see the male part on the right of the photo that slides up and into the welded-in place piece and its standard 1.25 inch hitch reciever that then extends from under the bumper like any hitch receiver.

I use a Thule bike rack and have only carried two bikes.

Its something to see with two kayaks on top, two bikes and towing our camper! (kidding).

Hope this helps.

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
I need to look into this too. I used a second car for toting my bikes and gear around but just sold that car.

I don't want to damage my Coupe but would like to be able to take a bike out of town occasionally (or regularly if possible).

KBrookings - I'd really like to get my head around the modification you've made to your QP. Any chance of just scanning a quick sketch and posting here? That should illustrate the system pretty well alongside your detailed description.

·
Registered
778 Posts
sorry, but looking at those pics makes me cringe. Id rather put a bike rack on an SUV or wagon. I usually use my silverado if I need to transport any bikes or gear. I dont think I could do that to my QP

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Call me crazy...

sorry, but looking at those pics makes me cringe. Id rather put a bike rack on an SUV or wagon. I usually use my silverado if I need to transport any bikes or gear. I dont think I could do that to my QP
I fully understand your hesitation. However, not having the option I needed something and can report after 3 years of using this with some regularity, there has been no noticeable damage to car trunk or suspension. It is important however to place some Venture Shield or 3M material at the points where the rack touches. This has kept the paint pristine. Feeling more adventurous, on two recent road trips I even had our tandem (wheels off in trunk) and my single bike on rack. Worked flawlessly, and when the bikes and rack were off at destination, I had some fantastic drives both on bike and in car.

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
I think that would be the point... to have the option of taking your Maserati with you and enjoy it there (without the racks etc.) to the max. I guess if you have kids with all their stuff, the roof-rack could be useful too.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I need to figure out a way to install a rack to transport my bear on top of my car, because with the way I'm doing it now he just slides across the windshield & off the front every time I have to hit the brakes... you can tell from his expression that he's getting pretty damn sick of that shit happening all the time.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
What??? It's my bear! Don't most of you guys have bears??? He's pissed because the bungee-cord-thing I've been using keeps making him slide forward off the top when I have to hit the brakes. Just before I took that shot he had slid right off into the parking lot when I was coming to a stop. He's damn near had it, I can tell you. You can tell from the photograph that he's pretty pissed-off with the whole situation. Is this bike-rack thread not an appropriate place to post my mentioning that I need a better roof rack arrangement for my bear?

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
What??? It's my bear! Don't most of you guys have bears??? He's pissed because the bungee-cord-thing I've been using keeps making him slide forward off the top when I have to hit the brakes. Just before I took that shot he had slid right off into the parking lot when I was coming to a stop. He's damn near had it, I can tell you. You can tell from the photograph that he's pretty pissed-off with the whole situation. Is this bike-rack thread not an appropriate place to post my mentioning that I need a better roof rack arrangement for my bear?
That must be unbearable for him.

As mentioned, maybe the roofrack is your solution. These guys seemed to think so! To use a UK expression, they look like they couldn't give a fig (see their number plates)... :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
This is a joke thread, right? Nobody in their right mind would even consider this, right? Come on!! If you're considering this, you simply have the wrong car. You don't go off-roading in a Ferrari and you don't go lap-racing in a Range Rover.

·
Super Moderator
2,554 Posts
This is a joke thread, right? Nobody in their right mind would even consider this, right? Come on!! If you're considering this, you simply have the wrong car.
Isn't it a matter of disposable income? There must be a spectrum of Maserati owners in this respect. As mentioned above, though I wouldn't personally wouldn't choose to do it, having a second car may not be a luxury for some folks who may have a temporary need to transport extra stuff. That doesn't necessarily just apply to off-roading scenarios surely?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
This is a joke thread, right? Nobody in their right mind would even consider this, right? Come on!! If you're considering this, you simply have the wrong car. You don't go off-roading in a Ferrari and you don't go lap-racing in a Range Rover.
I think the OP was totally serious - he wasn't joking at all. It's his car, he can do whatever he wants with it, and, his solution looks like a pretty good one. So what if he gets a few little scuffs from the contact points, those should buff right out (plus, he's going to put some clear 3M material in those areas, so that might not even be an issue unless that wears through).

The bear post beautifully shows the ridiculousness of both options.
For the record, with the bear post, I was not trying to poke fun at QP Sport's idea - I was just taking an opportunity to be silly.

Hey, if you can do this (below) why not a QP?

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Bicycle Rack

More acceptable if this is you bicicletta

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts