Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.

As my family grows, room in the driveway/garages is quickly becoming limited, so I'm seriously considering some vehicle consolidation. Sadly, that might mean that my 2003 Coupe CC will be on the market soon. I'm planning to replace my Lexus IS AWD and my Maserati with some type of performance sedan/coupe that can handle my bikes/snowboards/kids but still give me a thrill when driving (I know - it can't equal the Maserati - that's for sure!).

So, two pieces of advice I'm seeking:

1) If I end up deciding to do this (I'm resisting), what's the best way to sell the Maserati - eBay? Trade-in? Other? Mine is a 2003 Coupe CC, about 21000 miles on the clock, really good shape (a little curb rash and some minor dings, but it hasn't been a garage queen).

2) Any suggestions on replacements? I'm currently leaning towards an Audi S5 or S6, or maybe an M3 coupe. Any other suggestions welcomed. If it handles snow well, that'd be a plus.

Maybe I'll wise up and just build another garage, but still interested in your thoughts.

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
681 Posts
What's your budget for the replacement?

2000-2001 BMW 750iL - V12 - Pretty reliable - Ton of bang for the buck $12,000 - $13,000

2005 - 2006 Jaguar S Type R. You can get one under warranty with 20-30k miles for $21,000-$22,000. They 400hp supercharged V8 and they are super reliable.

2006 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG - 470hp S/C - Warranty - $33,000 - $35,000

2006-2007 - Low Mileage/ Under Warranty Maserati Quattroporte - $42,000 - $50,000

Your Maserati will be lucky to fetch $26,000 - that is reality. A quick sale on your car would be $22,000 - $23,000, the fastest way to sell it would be eBay. Although you will yield alot of emails/phone calls and potential tire kickers and even deadbeat bidders. The easiest way to get rid of it is trade-in and the dealer may be desperate enough to get rid of their current inventory to give you more than your Maserati is worth for it.

If it was me personally, I would keep the Maserati as a fun summer sports car and get a 2006-2007 Supercharged Range Rover for your activities and winter months/bad weather.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is how I search....

1) eBay
Reason: Very current listings, it's easy and quick to post it for sale
2) Craigslist
3) Autotrader
Reason: I already checked the 2 above :)
4) Dupont
Reason its last: Stale inventory for the most part.
Dealers rarely pull the sold inventory off

If I were selling one in todays market, I would list it on eBay first, price it right, it will be gone in a week.
Then there is no need for the other sites :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
This is how I search....

1) eBay
2) Craigslist
3) Autotrader
Reason: I already checked the 2 above :)
4) Dupont
Reason its last: Stale inventory for the most part.
Dealers rarely pull the sold inventory off

If I were selling one in todays market, I would list it on eBay first, price it right, it will be gone in a week.
Then there is no need for the other sites :)
I could be mistaken but I think Autotrader is only for dealer listings not private sale. For private sale, cars.com is one of the better options. When I sold my Lotus, I listed on both Ebay and cars.com. Got a lot of tire kickers on cars.com. I sold my car on Ebay the first time it listed. FWIW. Either way, be prepared for a bunch of companies calling you wanting to help you "market" your car. They basically charge a fee to consign it for you which just means they put up the listings and field the calls. Not much value if you ask me.

BTW, here are some Manheim wholesale numbers for 2003 Coupe CC:

01/29/09 RIVRSIDE Regular $23,000 44,587 Avg RED 8G A Yes
01/21/09 CADE Regular $28,200 25,300 Above Black 8CY A Yes
10/30/08 MANHEIM Regular $28,000 20,362 Above BLACK 8G 6 Yes
09/04/08 NEVADA Regular $26,500 39,843 Avg SILVER 8G A Yes
09/02/08 FAAO Regular $27,800 17,510 Above BLUE 8G A Yes
08/08/08 MANHEIM Lease $21,750 31,595 Avg RED 8G Yes

Copyright © 1996-2008 Manheim Auctions

Looks like an above average Coupe with 25K miles sold at auction in late January for $28K. I think this could be a good guage for what you could get in a private sale or perhaps use as a negotiating tool if you try to trade-in.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Not true, I have used Autotrader many times, from a Dodge Durango to my last 3 Porsches, the last one a 99 911 with a GT3 body kit actually sold in less then a week to guy from FLA temporarily working overseas, bought it (live) sight unseen, FedX'd a certif check. To me the "list with pix until it sells price" is a great deal and the search critieria for the buyer is much easier to use and sort then any of the rest. Cars.com is ok but two thumbs up for Autotrader from me. S-

I could be mistaken but I think Autotrader is only for dealer listings not private sale.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, all.

Still up in the air as to what I want to do. The Maserati is worth a lot more to me than what it would fetch in resale/trade-in. Currently leaning towards an Audi S5 if I were to get something new.

At a value of only $25K or so, I might as well just build the extra garage and keep it! ;-)

Rick

·
Registered
217 Posts
Not true, I have used Autotrader many times, from a Dodge Durango to my last 3 Porsches, the last one a 99 911 with a GT3 body kit actually sold in less then a week to guy from FLA temporarily working overseas, bought it (live) sight unseen, FedX'd a certif check. To me the "list with pix until it sells price" is a great deal and the search critieria for the buyer is much easier to use and sort then any of the rest. Cars.com is ok but two thumbs up for Autotrader from me. S-
Actually, some cars are not available for private sale on the Autotrader proper site. Some cars are deemed "specialty" cars and those private sale ads must be placed on Autotrader Classics which is a different site with different costs. Maseratis are considered a "specialty" car.

So, even though you see Maseratis sold on Autotrader.com those are all delaer ads. Private sale ads for Maseratis will only appear on the Autotrader Classics site. Don't know how much traffic goes to the Autotrader Classics site.

·
Registered
624 Posts
.....good catch, never realized that...thx, I stand corrected!

Actually, some cars are not available for private sale on the Autotrader proper site. Some cars are deemed "specialty" cars and those private sale ads must be placed on Autotrader Classics which is a different site with different costs. Maseratis are considered a "specialty" car.

So, even though you see Maseratis sold on Autotrader.com those are all delaer ads. Private sale ads for Maseratis will only appear on the Autotrader Classics site. Don't know how much traffic goes to the Autotrader Classics site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts