Maserati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 4200 Coupe' Manual

I think this one might be a keeper, but I far from in love with the handling.
It has all that lovely power and comfort but really wallows on the twisties.
I was squirting around some Welsh mountains last week, but my arse was knitting buttons (whatever that means[:-])
The handling really gave no confidence.

I understand that sjp63 had his geometry set to Grandsport setting,
"No new parts just lowered and geometry settings. Well worth £500"
but how much better is that compared to the likes of Formula Dynamics springs?
How is the ride quality?
Would I loose my "Sport" and standard setting?
I like having the choice.
I got rid of my porsche because it shook my fillings out around town and made my ears bleed,
but I do miss the little bitch's handling.
Also what is the price difference?

Or just chop it in for an M5 or 997????????
Or grow up and stop wasting time and money on cars?????

·
Registered
210 Posts
Springs

I had the F.D. Springs installed on my 2003 Coupe GT. My car has the Sky hook suspension as well. I also have 19” GS rims and tires on the car.
I had the car lowered 1” all around, I know some people have lowered the car more however I think this is a good compromise. I still have to be careful on speed bumps in parking lots.

The difference is amazing; the car no longer pitches under acceleration or braking. And around corners it so flat that it does not feel anything like the same car. I would say that in sport mode it is a little harder than before. In none sport it is a little softer than before.
Overall I am thrilled with the results.

The price of the springs with the installation was around $1,500.00 US. (I also had the spring’s painted Red!).
Ron:)

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback.
Where I live is riddled with speed bumps so lowering it any more than an inch will only result in big bills.
Though I am slightly confused by your observations on the effect of the FD springs.
You say:
"I would say that in sport mode it is a little harder than before. In none sport it is a little softer than before."
Surely the springs are either softer or stiffer.
How can they be both?

Thanks
GJ

·
Registered
210 Posts
The springs are harder than the stock ones. It is the way the “Sky hook” suspension reacts with the new springs.
In “sport mode” over sharp bumps the feels harder and more controlled (less rebound).
In”non sport mode” the car feel more tied down than before but over bumps it can have a bit more of a bounce feeling on rebound.
Don’t forget it takes the “Sky hook” about 100 miles to learn the way the new springs work.
Ron:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts