Maserati Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "had to pull" both chipsets for a few days (ball joint recall appt)... How depressing the contrast. I can't wait to reinstall them. I'm not sure which chip I missed more! Each adds quite a bit of enhancement to the vehicle.

If you haven't bought both of these yet, you should.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have to agree. After adding the DBW the car just turned into something amazing. After my waranty is off the ECU upgrade is next.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Doesn't the DBW affect the warranty the same way the ECU does?

Another thing I'm wondering... When I turn off the MSP on my GrandSport it somehow changes the engine note. It's hard for me to describe, but it doesn't sound as "meaty." Or perhaps the rev range is a tad different. Either way, I'm not fond of what it does. Anyway, I'm just wondering if the DBW does something similar or not. Do any members in SW Florida have the DBW mod?

·
5,887 Posts
Doesn't the DBW affect the warranty the same way the ECU does?
Aftermarket parts or modifications could affect warranty claims on related parts if the factory believes the modification caused in the failure of the part. A car warranty isn't an all-or-nothing deal. For example, an aftermarket exhaust won't void the warranty if you have problems with your power seats.

It looked the the OP took his car in for a ball joint issue. I'm curious why he had to remove the DBW :confused:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never bring your car into the dealer while it's under warranty with the chipsets in. That would be plain stupid. That's why you take the 10 minutes to pull them and put in the jumper plugs. Takes the issue off the table.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Never bring your car into the dealer while it's under warranty with the chipsets in. That would be plain stupid. That's why you take the 10 minutes to pull them and put in the jumper plugs. Takes the issue off the table.
Yeah, that should be common sense, but isn't it easy enough for the dealer's techs to find it while they're poking around?

Can anyone answer my other questions?

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think he just removed the hook-up temporarily so the dealership wouldn't raise an issue.

I agree that everyone should buy Formula Dynamic's upgrades. Jeff is great. DBW and the ECM are the best money that I have spent on the car. Turns the car into a monster. Love it!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
You could as long as the warranty work is unrelated to the systems affected by the chipsets. In the US, the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act ensures you are protected.
Except they would still make a not at everything related to it would get voided. The MMWA exists, but YOU need to fight if they say no... Prefer to not deal with the hassle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
How easy is it to install the DBW module? In the photographs it looks like it has a connector plug, does this just plug in somewhere or do you need to solder wires?

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
They wont check per se, but they sure as hell will feel a difference in the car.

Ie, they press the gas and it jumps instead of easing. The car is MUCH different with the mods.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, as soon as they drove the car into the shop, they would know something was different.

·
Registered
306 Posts
you've changed the subject....

Whether dealers can detect the mods and what they might do about it is a good discussion that might warrant it's own thread...

The original post was more the marked difference between the car with and without the FD boxes - which is also interesting to hear since I haven't yet fitted them.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There was a main subject (performance delta) and and underlying (implied) subject in my orginal posting on the need to pull the chips out when taking the car to the dealer. I think any discussion related to either topic is just fine in this thread...;)

Final note, if they hook the SD3 (Maserati computer) up to your car for any updates, diagnostics, etc. they could also then detect the chips if you take the risk of taking the car to the dealer without pulling the chips and putting in (the Formula Dynamics) supplied bypass plugs.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
OK.. I have a question.. What does the Drive By Wire mod do? I'm guessing it has something to do with the throttle actuator???

Buzz

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
With the Mods bypassed the dealer can not detect either the DBW or the ECM with an SD3. As many have noted, the difference is immediately noticable when driving the car and it's always good to bypass any mod that's been done to the car when going to any repair facility just to take the variable out of the equation and to rule out any involvement. In the case of most aftermarket enhancements this isn't possible. However we incorporated this concept into our design.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts