Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am going to ask a really stupid question :p

I think that in order to fully utilize a car like the Maserati, one needs to know how to not only drive, but drive aggressively.

How can one learn to drive "better"? I want to learn how to corner better, brake better, etc.

How can I do that?

Are there any "racing schools" in Southern California? Would a "Racing school" help?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Skip racing school for now and instead look for 'Driver's Education' programs. In California I know the Porsche Owner's Club holds events throughout the year and I am sure there are many others. National Auto Sport Association (NASA) is another popular group in California. They will rent out a local track, provide instructors, and ensure the event is run in a safe environment. Fees are VERY reasonable compared to racing schools, which you would not be ready for anyway.

Driver's Ed focuses on car control, learning 'the line' around a race track, proper braking and downshifting, etc. Racing schools will teach 'racecraft', which involves passing, defending, etc. It's a very different topic.

I got started in a similar fashion and quickly became addicted. I started on the track 5 years ago through Driver's Ed events. After 4 years of that I went to racing school, got licensed, and completed my rookie season last year. I hold SCCA and NASA racing licenses and compete with a Porsche 911 in NASA GTS-3 class.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here is the link to your local region of NASA: http://socal.drivenasa.com/

Check out their HPDE program, you'll learn a bunch and have a blast doing it!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think I need the driver's ed class too. Any in northern California? I don't want to race, but I do want to take my GS to the limits in a controlled environment.

·
Registered
69 Posts
NorCal at your service: http://www.nasaproracing.com/norcal/

There are also some very good books out there that will help you prepare for your first time on the track. They teach terminology and theory and will help you absorb more during your first DE event. If you guys are interested I'll pull out some of my old books and recommend some titles to get you started.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any addiction that might occur. :)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I've taken some driving schools offered by the local BMW club here in the Washington DC area. We go to Summit Point Raceway a few times a year and it's absolutely amazing how much you can learn in a short time at the track. The most important for me was learning the line through the corners - something which I practice every time I drive any of my cars now. Learning how to navigate through the turns with the least amount of wheel turn is a real skill. I've learned how to gradually load the suspension just prior to coming into the turn which make the exit very smooth. All this is making me ache for spring to come around again....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Start with Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley. Next I would read Going Faster put out by the Skip Barber Racing School. Both books have beginner stuff along with more advanced techniques. The Skip Barber book gets very complex in parts. Don't read all of it. Focus on the basics in the books, then do a driving event to put what you read into practice. Then go on to the next section of the book and repeat ...

A key to learning on the track is to not overload the brain with too much. Even today when I am practicing I don't work on more than 2 corners or 2 techniques per run session. One thing I love about this sport is how much there is to learn, there is always a new challenge to find another 0.1 second on your lap time.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Well, Maserati arranges drivers courses in their headquarters in Modena. Incidently, I got an email about their 2008 programme just the other day.

·
Registered
73 Posts
High Performance Driving

Hey guys,

I am going to ask a really stupid question :p

I think that in order to fully utilize a car like the Maserati, one needs to know how to not only drive, but drive aggressively.

How can one learn to drive "better"? I want to learn how to corner better, brake better, etc.

How can I do that?

Are there any "racing schools" in Southern California? Would a "Racing school" help?

Thanks guys.
Ali - I just took Skip Barber's two day High Performance Driving course over New Year's and I recommend it highly. It emphasizes better braking, cornering, and shifting. I did the course at Road Atlanta race track, but they have it at tracks across the country. It's a day and a half of exercises, time on the skid pad (power oversteer drifting!), and autocross then half a day on the race track. I'm still working on putting all the lessons to use. And the best part - you're flogging someone else's cars!

Here's the link to their website: http://www.skipbarber.com/

Best -

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts