Maserati Forum banner

Battery Trickle Charger

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  M! 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about installing a battery trickle charger so I can keep my battery topped off. I'm wondering if it's safe to plug in a trickle charger while the batteries hooked up to the car. Do I need to use the battery disconnect switch to isolate the battery or is it ok to just plug in the trickle charger and leave the battery hooked up to the car's electrical system?

BTW, I let my battery run down recently and now the air conditioner doesn't work. I haven't tried to use the AC since last summer so don't know if the low battery is the culprit, or if it's low freon, a bad sensor, or what. Any thoughts?

I saw some discussion on another thread that said that a low battery indication could result in the AC not working. Not sure why that would be, however, these new cars have so much electrical stuff on them that it's hard to tell about anything anymore. I used to be able to diagnose almost any problem on my cars just by listening to it run. However, nowdays you need a scope to add air to the tires.

Any thoughts on the AC problem?

Thanks much!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think battery will do anything to the AC as long as you can have the car started and running, but if the battery is weak and you keep the AC on without fully recharged, then you might not able to start the engine again next time. So better have your AC checked for other problems.

#3 ·
Battery conditioner/charger is essential for these cars (I use the "Battery Tender"). You attach leads to the battery terminals and plug in to the leads in the trunk every time you park the car. Perfectly safe to leave everything fully connected. I wouldn't keep this car without taking this precaution.
My 2 cents.

#4 ·
Auto AC systems like to be run every at least month or so (dogdoc, are you listening?). The refrigerant contains a lubricating oil that keeps the seals working among other things. If you don't run the AC once in a while, the seals dry out, and the refrigerant escapes.

#5 ·
battery charger

Buy CTEK 3600 for around £50. It is brilliant!!
No affiliation with company. Europarts NOT Eurospares is cheapest. I bought mine for £40 with discount. Quality product-I did much research buying it. Ofcourse UK spec is different to US spec!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.