Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

Just got around to taking my car up to the Maserati dealer to have a new battery installed. They also recommend not going with the OEM "FIAMM" unit. They use Interstate now.

Anyhow, I also had them install the "Maserati Battery Tender". Its very cool. It cost about twice what a normal "Battery Tender" runs, but at least it say's Maserati on it! :)

Part Number for the Maserati Battery Tender is: 920001808 and runs $119.99 (its made by CTEK exclusively for Maserati). What's nice about it, is that they installed it the same time they replaced the battery, and all you have to do is plug your extension cord into it. Now I can have my old "Battery Tender" back to use on my Lamborghini! :)

For those that also want to know. The Interstate replacement Battery is:
MTP-91
700 CCA
85 Mo. Prorated Replacement Warranty. New battery cost: $134.95

They also run a new vent tube.

Couple shots showing "before and after":

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Interesting that they fitted the MTP91. I had a new battery at FM of Orange County recently and it was the MTP93 that has a higher CCA, but (I think) the same size. Having said that the battery failed after about 4 wks (bad cell) and was replaced under warranty

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My FIAMM was the original that came with the car. About 6 years old. Not too bad.

Hopefully this new Interstate will last that long! Or, at least until I trade the car in on a Quattroporte! :D

I think they used the MTP-91 over the MTP-93, because the "93" weighs about 10 pounds more, and is 3" longer in length. Guess they thought it might get a bit cramped in there.

MTP-93 Details: http://www.interstatebatteries.com/...CCA&Ns=product+Type|0||Rank|1&Ntk=SearchGroup

MTP-91 Details:http://www.interstatebatteries.com/...CCA&Ns=product+Type|0||Rank|1&Ntk=SearchGroup

·
Registered
173 Posts
I replaced my FIAMM with an OPTIMA battery. It's completely sealed and can be mounted in ANY position. No need for a vent tube. I have not had any battery problems since,
I have a lot of problems with optima red top and still have now. Since a month ago i bought Optima from Sam's club. It does not hold charge and go flat on me at least five times. I return it last week and the second one doesn't even hold charge. I cannot even start my car. I use smart battery charger (maybe not so smart one), which cannot manually override. The battey charger charge it up and show that it is fully charge but actually no power. Btw, this charger work on my 6 years old blue top optima and other batteries. I have no idea what's going on. On one website, they recommend to wake up the optima by charging it at 100 amp for about 15 min for about 4 cycles. That is the pain, I am not going to do that. It will go back tomorrow. So beware of optima. Depend on your luck, you may get a bad one.
pganmol

·
Registered
4,087 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
In case someone finds this thread in the future: Interstate makes an exact replacement for the DIN-sized battery that is used in Coupes, Spyders, and Gransports: MTP-48-H6. The "H6" means that it is DIN sized - they also have H7, H8, etc for larger cars.

My 2006 Gransport's original battery was a Fiamm 57412, which Fiamm identifies as DIN "L3" size and is identical to the Interstate H6, which is made in Spain. The Interstate MTP-48-H6 has a vent port which exactly matches the vent fitting which was plugged into the original battery.

No need to make do with a "nearly fits" American sized battery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Repeated Battery Replacement

You all need to make shure that your installer (or you) is performing a paracitic draw test after installing the new battery. The spec is about .045mA after about 20 min of vehicle sitting with nothing on and also make shure trunk light is off. I have found alot of M138's with a paracitic draw problems. This will cut you battery life in half.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I got the Optima Red Top today and so far I've been very please with it.

It even sounds better when I fire up the car.

With my other battery - I was holding my breath every time I had to crank it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought an interstate MTP-48 H6 from firestone. They would not install it for me because they are afraid to make a mistake. I have a 04 spyder, isnt it just as simple as swapping out the battery? Is there anything to "configure"?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts