Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the batteries in my 2014 GTS and 2015 Ghibli with a $163.00 Interstate MTP-49 with 30-month warranty. Exactly the same size and 100 amp output, same cranking power. My dealer quoted $395 for each Maserati battery plus $50 installation, so I saved almost $600. Installation is a half hour job with basic tools. You will need a long ratchet extension. Don't forget to reattach the vent tube

·
Registered
625 Posts
i'd highly recommend any of interstates AGM batteries instead. that's where your money will go.
on these cars, it isn't worth the headache of an unexpected middle of the night no start.

·
Registered
196 Posts
anyone have model # for interstate AGM repacement battery?
is this best choice? (2014 GT)

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
anyone have model # for interstate AGM repacement battery?
is this best choice? (2014 GT)
Here’s my choice: Odyssey’s 49-950 is the exact same size as the original. It weighs 63 lbs because the plates are almost pure lead and that’s where it gets it’s power and longevity. As a rule of thumb, the heavier the battery (for a given size) the better the quality. By comparison, the Interstate H8, which is a good battery, is 48 lbs but it’s almost half the price. There’s no bad choice here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'd highly recommend any of interstates AGM batteries instead. that's where your money will go.
on these cars, it isn't worth the headache of an unexpected middle of the night no start.
The AGM is more expensive and is supposed to last longer. I use them in my large boat where the main advantage is that they take a charge quicker. That's not an issue with a battery used only for starting, so I use the lead acid type in my cars. My experience with standard lead acid batteries is that if you replace them every four to five years you will never have a problem unless you somehow let it run down completely. That will damage the battery and it will not recover completely. Don't let your car sit for over a week without connecting a trickle charger or battery maintainer. Modern cars use electrical power even when they are not running.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have an interstate AGM that's still going strong from 2013 - we got the GT in April this year, maybe we're just lucky! It's been perfect so far, even when it sat for a few weeks. Some of me wants to leave well enough alone, but there is that age factor. We have a long winter to think about it! (Minnesota) I have had too many standard batteries leak acid or create corrosion to not go AGM, I will never use a standard one again. We bought a tractor a few years back with a regular battery that ate all the paint below it - battery holder, axle, everything - two years old and rusting like crazy underneath that battery.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here’s my choice: Odyssey’s 49-950 is the exact same size as the original. It weighs 63 lbs because the plates are almost pure lead and that’s where it gets it’s power and longevity. As a rule of thumb, the heavier the battery (for a given size) the better the quality. By comparison, the Interstate H8, which is a good battery, is 48 lbs but it’s almost half the price. There’s no bad choice here.
i'm seeing battery mart is selling these for $259 a msrp of $439
these are better than interstate h8?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
We have an interstate AGM that's still going strong from 2013 - we got the GT in April this year, maybe we're just lucky! It's been perfect so far, even when it sat for a few weeks. Some of me wants to leave well enough alone, but there is that age factor. We have a long winter to think about it! (Minnesota) I have had too many standard batteries leak acid or create corrosion to not go AGM, I will never use a standard one again. We bought a tractor a few years back with a regular battery that ate all the paint below it - battery holder, axle, everything - two years old and rusting like crazy underneath that battery.
That's a great run that battery has had, but you're approaching at yeast 7 years just in time that has lapsed. Who knows how long it sat before being installed into the car. Certainly not wishing you any bad ju ju but i would probably replace it with the same (y)

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Motor oil is bad enough...Lets not expand to car batteries...I'm sure both will work fine....Jason
Haha, so true .. every forum ( Porsche , Mercedes, BMW, etc . ) has countless threads debating the “best” motor oil followed by numerous studies allegedly supporting the posters’ asssertions. Batteries are too cheap and arguably rather inconsequential in the overall scheme of things, to warrant too much time debating. Interstate, Optima, Bosch, AGM-branded ones, etc. are all fine . My suggestion would be to just stay away from the no-brand or proprietary brand stuff from car parts stores ( Autozone, Pep Boys , O’Reilly , Napa , etc ... and although even those could be ok, there is a greater chance they’re of lesser quality than top name brands ) Yes, 7 years is borderline amazing, and probably on the fringe of life durability , but not as unusual as one would think. My GT original battery lasted that long and it was never on a trickle charger , often left parked for two or three weeks at a time throughout that entire duration. In not too hot, not too cold climates you should be able to get at least 5-6 years out of most batteries ( yes, even in the GT ), but in extreme temps climates you’re lucky if you see 3 years out of one. Life gets sucked out of the batteries in very hot temperatures m more so than in cold ones . Just my experience.. 45 years of driving about a million and one different cars ( ok, slightly exaggerating on that last number ? ) but I can count on less than one hand any batteries that failed before a five year life cycle. But again, mild climate almost year-round helps. :cool: That’s in California though, when I lived in Ohio I don’t think the batteries fared as well..:rolleyes:, it’s been too long and I can’t remember but convinced they had a shorter life .

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I opt we just list our most beloved battery, lol

The original battery in my, now long gone, 1991 BMW M3, lasted 11 years 6 months and was still kicking when i sold it.... Man that was a great car!!! (y)

4,116 Posts
You guys are brave or nuts...Since I work on cars and get that cars generally break at the worst time possible...I put a new battery in my all vehicles every 3 years ..They are not that much money and a 5 year old battery may start a car, but most certainly fail a load test...Not worth the hassle IMO...Jason

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
You guys are brave or nuts...Since I work on cars and get that cars generally break at the worst time possible...I put a new battery in my all vehicles every 3 years ..They are not that much money and a 5 year old battery may start a car, but most certainly fail a load test...Not worth the hassle IMO...Jason
lol, yeah i was definitely NUTS!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Just to clarify, this is the specific battery the GT? Interstate Batteries | 31M-AGM

What makes these batteries so specials?
in 3 words... Absorbent Glass Mat!
AGM batteries charge up to 5 times faster, discharges a lot slower than a lead acid battery (self discharge), is capable of delivering high current on demand, is lighter, maint. free, works better in the cold..... to name a few reasons.

4,116 Posts
You just need a H-8.. The car didn't come with an AGM battery...While I get that AGM are the latest craze and has some benefits, I see no difference between them and regular lead acid batteries in normal circumstances... I replace AGM batteries just like I do lead acid ones...They all seem to start Mrs. Jones Land Rover, Jaguar, or Maserati just fine.....Jason

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yep, my 11 year 6 month battery was regular old lead acid... Got one in my GT right now too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts