Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting gas today I tried to start my car. The key went forward, the dash lit up but the car kept churning and would not start. Tried it a few more times until the gas attendant helped me push the car out of the way. Finally, I did it for several seconds and the car started.

I assume its the battery or perhaps the starter?

What is the recommended Maserati Battery? Is it hard to reset the car with a new battery? Anything Maserati specific I should be aware of?

Thanks. CM

·
Registered
77 Posts
chris7469 said:
After getting gas today I tried to start my car. The key went forward, the dash lit up but the car kept churning and would not start. Tried it a few more times until the gas attendant helped me push the car out of the way. Finally, I did it for several seconds and the car started.

I assume its the battery or perhaps the starter?

What is the recommended Maserati Battery? Is it hard to reset the car with a new battery? Anything Maserati specific I should be aware of?

Thanks. CM
I was told from my dealer that you should keep a trickle charger on the battery :D to keep a fully charged... especially if not used regularly....not good to jump car ...might jolt electronics.....good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know much, but if the engine keeps turning over, your problem is not your battery. It's your battery that's providing the power for your starter to crank the engine. If it's ctranking, you've got juice in your battery. Similarly, I doubt you've got a starter problem. If it kept turning your engine over and it eventually started, it doesn't sound like a starter problem.

I'm not sure what the most likely problems might be. Wish I could be more helpful. Good luck.

Art

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
melton7a said:
I don't know much, but if the engine keeps turning over, your problem is not your battery. It's your battery that's providing the power for your starter to crank the engine. If it's ctranking, you've got juice in your battery. Similarly, I doubt you've got a starter problem. If it kept turning your engine over and it eventually started, it doesn't sound like a starter problem.

I'm not sure what the most likely problems might be. Wish I could be more helpful. Good luck.

Art
Art's 100% right. It sounds like a fuel problem. The battery and starter together crank the engine and if it cranked over both are OK. Were you REALLY low before you fueled up?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me - only while I was waiting for a pump to open up. After turning several times the engine finally started and has not had the same problem since. There were no OBD codes generated. Then about a week later the same thing happened to my Ferrari. My only thought is that I may have given both cars a little gas before shutting off the engine and caused some sort of flooding. Do you recall if you may have gunned it before shutting down? I haven't tried it to see of my thought is correct as it freaked me out on both cars.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Started today but not right away. Took a few more seconds.

Started up my car in the garage today. It started on the first turn but it still "cranked or churned" a few extra seconds before the engine started.

I drive it all the time unless the weather is bad and I always put 92 gas in.

Could I have flooded the engine? How would I rule out the battery?

Its an 04, isn't it time for a new battery regardless?

Should I check the water levels in the batter?

Thanks. CM

·
Registered
773 Posts
short life

big constant problem, charge system, and battery. its the battery! i have same problem, just do not drive long enough to charge up. when car sat for 6 weeks battery was drained flat. ferrati had no problem

·
Registered
160 Posts
As soon as you let the battery go flat, you have done irreversible damage to it. So always keep you battery topped-up in fully charged condition. If you don't drive your car frequently and in one long stretch, get a smart charger for overnight charging.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Plus... like the used Spyder I just bought, you could be wearing down the alternator at an alarming rate. I always disconnect the battery and hook up a trickle charger if it's two weeks or more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts