Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I noticed that my battery indicator needle normally rests between the two hash marks UNDER the "14" level while driving and idling. Is this normal, or too low indicating a low charged battery? I have a 2006 Maserati cambio coupe. Where do your needles rest usually? Thanks.. -Bob.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Having recently had to replace a battery I noticed the old battery (had been close to dead) was registering just 12volts rather than 14volts until I had been driving for a few minutes. I reckon the normal indication is 14volts if battery and charging system are working correctly.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reading is hard to determine exactly..

hard to determine exactly because dial reads "10" then a hash mark and then "14" at top position. My needle is resting after the 10 hash mark and before the 14... so, I guess it would be either 12 or 13. Am I due for an impending battery failure? -Bob.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Car batteries are nominally 13.8V, more when charging.

That said, my meter reads lower than that, and always has, since the car was new a year ago. I think it's normal.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the manual....

Checked the manual and it says the "voltameter" should read 12 volts if you turn the key to the "MAR" position with the engine off. I tried it tonight and mine read about 12 volts.. so, Im thinking its ok.. but its just that I could have sworn that in the past the needle was on 14 or so while driving..and now its lower. That is why Im concerned. -Bob.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine is all over the place. From just under 12 to just over 14. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, either. Never had any trouble with the battery, though, and the dealer says there doesn't seem to be a problem.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mine is all over the place. From just under 12 to just over 14. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, either. Never had any trouble with the battery, though, and the dealer says there doesn't seem to be a problem.
That is exactly what mine does. Never had a car with a voltmeter that acted this way.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Same with my car.

When the battery eventually died a few weeks ago the needle lingered around 10-11.

Now has a new Optima Red Top and the needle is just over 12 and just below 14.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Same with my car.

When the battery eventually died a few weeks ago the needle lingered around 10-11.

Now has a new Optima Red Top and the needle is just over 12 and just below 14.
Does you needle stay in one place now, or is it still all over the place?

·
Registered
824 Posts
hard to determine exactly because dial reads "10" then a hash mark and then "14" at top position. My needle is resting after the 10 hash mark and before the 14... so, I guess it would be either 12 or 13. Am I due for an impending battery failure? -Bob.
I now believe this is a sign of impending F1 pump failure (assuming the alternator charge light is not on).

A battery that is on the way out will fail to hold a charge (e.g. won't start next morning), but should still float at 13.8v while driving/charging, assuming your RPM is over 2,500 or so.

For the car to be at 12v or less while driving, the only reason this can happen is:
a) the alternator is failing to produce enough current to charge the battery and meet the current power demands (and the charge light should come on at that point)
b) something is drawing more current than the alternator can supply

I will be watching my voltmeter (which is a crappy instrument BTW, an ammeter is much more informative) when I get my car back from F1 pump replacement to see that it stays around 14v and never drops.

Now, you might expect the voltage to drop a bit at idle if you are drawing large amounts of current, but in normal driving I would expect the voltmeter to stay right near the 14v mark. I'm not sure what the marks are between 10 and 14.... it isn't very clear to me.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well I have never noticed the voltmeter "moving around" - it has always pointed steadily at "almost" 14volts while the engine is running.
But I will watch a bit more closely and let you know...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Battery may be dead?

I bought 2 weeks ago a 2006 GS which has the FIAMM 74A battery. I started to notice about 4 days ago that the light for low current is ON... It was not like that when i bought the car. Then it was ~12-13, sometimes more.

Other than that the battery seems to start the engine well. The only thing I experienced is that when not starting it up everyday, at idle it coughes a bit, until it gets warmer. Probably it is how it supposed to be.

But the voltmeter light is a problem, isn't it? Should I start to consider replacing it with an Optima?:confused:

Thanks for advice.

Attila

Anyway,
will post pictures when it finally stops to rain for more than a week...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update on my needle.

Hi everyone. Well, since two days ago including one day I left the car without starting it at all since I was out of town, my needle today indicated a steady 13.8 - 14 Id say. Really weird. It is a very hot day and I used the a/c of course.. and a short trip, but it appeared the needle went back to its former position. What gives? -Bob.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts