Maserati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,222 Posts
Er. All charging is 'reverse flow'. And the 'proper' charging sockets are often simply wired in parallel to the socket in the trunk.
<shrug>

C

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sorry I always thought using lighter sockets etc was taboo.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
This is the very first time since I’ve owned the car that I connected it to the OE tender ( the CTEK with the Maserati logo on it which costs a lot more than the exact same “generic” CTEK ), because the GT is my daily commute car and since it’s been “sheltered in place“ for over two months now and I don’t know how much longer it will stay that way, I figured I may as well trickle charge it .
( never had it on a tender before, but the longest it sat without being driven in any given year was about three weeks at a time, so two months or what could be three months is too close for comfort without some charge on the battery )
I do have another “generic” CTEK which I keep on my other ( mostly stored ) car in the garage and that one seems to be working perfectly fine, so I presume they make very good products . They better, considering they‘re the selected accessory for Maserati .

I also have a solar power battery tender on my wife‘s car which is parked in the driveway, ( another vehicle which post her retirement sits undriven for weeks and weeks ..) and those solar chargers are something to consider for those whose cars are parked too far away from an electrical outlet, but that unit has to be exposed to daylight a decent part of the day , otherwise if you’re in a enclosed parking garage , or a car port, it won’t do much good.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Lol, it’s listed right there : 4 W . Is that enough, or on the lower end of what a solar battery tender should be ? I have zero knowledge of electrical power, just went by consumer reports indications in comparison with other singular devices ..it had multiple , consistently good ratings, so that was good enough for me.

·
Registered
253 Posts
They have 4 different watt ratings. Just don't want to blow up my car or not have enough juice. If you bought the 4W and it's enough then that'll do. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Ok, now I’m confused ( but I did say I have no idea how wattage works ) . So if the unit wattage is too low it can overheat and blow up starting a fire inside your car , or , if it’s too high, its not going to charge the battery at all, or charge too slowly and thus ineffective ?
I presumed since they sell that particular unit for cars, it’s the correct wattage ( within prescribed parameters ) so then what would the other two ratings be for .. one for motorcycles and the other for campers or trucks ?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Good question because there are some who warn about using the same charger for both a motorcycle and a car saying it'll burn the battery up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It depends on the charger for settings. Mine has different settings for bike or car. Just gotta make sure I set it on the right one. It’s a CTEK.
As far as I know, the wattage is how fast it charges the battery. The higher watts, the faster it charges. I think. Lol.

3,981 Posts
Watts is a unit of power..It is volts times amps....Example...a 1200 watt blow dryer will draw about 10 amps AC...120V x10 amps=1200 watts....I don't see how you can burn up a battery by using a charger not rated for enough amps or watts...A 4 watt charger at 12 volts is gonna put out .333 Ma at full sunlight...Jason

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Thanks Jason ( as always , very helpful info / explanations ) (y)

Funny you mentioned blow dryers .. I was always worried back in the old days about taking electric shavers, blowdryers, or cell phones to Europe without carrying a whole converter and kit , for worries they’ll blow up or melt, plugged in 220 v, and the common warning was always about their wattage, but I could never make heads or tails out of it. Good news is that nowadays they all have build in adapters for 110 to 220 and vice versa, so one less thing to worry about carrying around .

·
Super Moderator
4,222 Posts
Good question because there are some who warn about using the same charger for both a motorcycle and a car saying it'll burn the battery up.
That's because they think electricity is akin to witchcraft.

Thanks Jason ( as always , very helpful info / explanations ) (y)

Funny you mentioned blow dryers .. I was always worried back in the old days about taking electric shavers, blowdryers, or cell phones to Europe without carrying a whole converter and kit , for worries they’ll blow up or melt, plugged in 220 v, and the common warning was always about their wattage, but I could never make fears or tails out of it. Good news is that nowadays they all have build in adapters for 110 to 220 and vice versa, so one less thing to worry about carrying around .
Switch mode power supplies as opposed to older transformers. They can take a wide range of input voltages.

C

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looking for input on a battery maintainer/tender and whether or not the OEM one is really necessary or if a generic one will work fine.

I see the OEM one on Amazon for $169 but generic ones for much cheaper.

If a non-OEM is ok, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
I have a NOCO G3500 and I bought the noco extension cable with it. I connected the extension to the battery post adapter so whenever I need to maintain it, i just pop the truck and take out the long cable and hook it onto the the noco. No fussing with aligator clips. The noco extension cable has a rubber boot at the end to keep the connector clean so when your done just unhook it, plug the boot closed and roll it back into the trunk. That charger is great, can use it on various types of batteries, agm, gel, cold, norm etc...also 12v and 6v, regular or small type. I think it's much better than the basic CTEK they offer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have both the NOCO and the CTEC. The CTEC I purely use for the maserati and it does a great job at keeping the battery alive. I use the NOCO mainly for my italian motorbikes which have different kind of batteries, so the diversity of the NOCO is great if you need that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have both the NOCO and the CTEC. The CTEC I purely use for the maserati and it does a great job at keeping the battery alive. I use the NOCO mainly for my italian motorbikes which have different kind of batteries, so the diversity of the NOCO is great if you need that.
Agreed. The noco has charged everything from optima gel batteries to my lawn mower batt. Mounting the noco ext cable so all i have to do is use that is awesome. I just use a little towel to gap the trunk for the cable. I know some people actually shut the trunk on the cable but I'm not comfortable with that.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I use the Del-Tran Battery Tender on all my cars and motorcycles and never had a problem. I've even been able to save a few "dead" batteries after leaving it on for 3 days.
Have done this myself with this tender...they are one of the best (y)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Agreed. The noco has charged everything from optima gel batteries to my lawn mower batt. Mounting the noco ext cable so all i have to do is use that is awesome. I just use a little towel to gap the trunk for the cable. I know some people actually shut the trunk on the cable but I'm not comfortable with that.
The cable for the Del-Tran battery tender is standard size and flat so I found that even with the trunk closed, there's enough space for the cable to slide around in the gap.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts