Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for input on a battery maintainer/tender and whether or not the OEM one is really necessary or if a generic one will work fine.

I see the OEM one on Amazon for $169 but generic ones for much cheaper.

If a non-OEM is ok, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Deltran works just fine. Nothing special about theses batteries unless you installed LiO4.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just went to a local auto parts place and got a CTEK for my car. The battery connections were already installed from the previous owner.
I had actually gone in to the dealer here to inquire about one and he said just get a CTEK as it’s much cheaper than what he could get me. Said that it’s the same thing just without the trident on it and half the price.

·
Registered
392 Posts
CTEK is what Ferrari, Maserati and other exotic car marques use. The OEM Maserati one is a rebadged CTEK. I use a regular CTEK and it works perfectly.

ALL CTEKs. Good enough for me. Here's the one I use which is a higher end model than most of the branded versions above:

Get it with the cigarette lighter adapter and you can just plug it into the socket on the left side in your trunk:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I use the Del-Tran Battery Tender on all my cars and motorcycles and never had a problem. I've even been able to save a few "dead" batteries after leaving it on for 3 days.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CTEK is what Ferrari, Maserati and other exotic car marques use. The OEM Maserati one is a rebadged CTEK. I use a regular CTEK and it works perfectly.

ALL CTEKs. Good enough for me. Here's the one I use which is a higher end model than most of the branded versions above:

Get it with the cigarette lighter adapter and you can just plug it into the socket on the left side in your trunk:

thanks! I saw a few options for ctek so wasn't sure which one was best so I appreciate the suggestion!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mine came with the factory CTEK system but as I have a few extra Battery Tenders I didn't even bother to take it out of the box.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Sav-A-Battery Charger/Maintainer on Amazon. These are the ONLY units I trust to leave on the car 24/7. Great extra features also.
I also used Sav-A-Battery for years but they eventually craped out. The last one burned out and drew the batty down to 5v before I discovered it. I replaced it with a Suaoki 7A (Amazon?) and couldn’t be more pleased. It uses a series of low amperage programs to test and condition the battery. The initial test and conditioning program ran 36 hours.
03CE7455-BE46-42F5-A689-2EDDB9146113.jpeg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate all the responses, thank you! I purchased a CTEK unit for my GT. Except I don't have my GT yet lol. I just closed an out of state purchase and it should be delivered around 5/29. It's gonna be a long 10 days....lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
I appreciate all the responses, thank you! I purchased a CTEK unit for my GT. Except I don't have my GT yet lol. I just closed an out of state purchase and it should be delivered around 5/29. It's gonna be a long 10 days....lol
Congrats!! Yes, it'll be the longest 10 days ever!
Are you keeping the Ghibli as well? I hope so, they are beautiful cars!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats!! Yes, it'll be the longest 10 days ever!
Are you keeping the Ghibli as well? I hope so, they are beautiful cars!
Thanks! Definitely keeping the Ghibli, I love that car and it's my daily. Will post pics of the Ghibli and MC together once I can!

·
Registered
148 Posts

Be careful to check the outlet in the trunk as on my QP6 the connection is only live when the ignition is on s no use for charging.
I use the Ctek lead with the spade connectors which can be permanently wired to the battery. The leads can easily be fed into the boot and it includes a battery condition indicator

·
Registered
392 Posts
Be careful to check the outlet in the trunk as on my QP6 the connection is only live when the ignition is on s no use for charging.
I use the Ctek lead with the spade connectors which can be permanently wired to the battery. The leads can easily be fed into the boot and it includes a battery condition indicator
The cigarette plug in the trunk of the Granturismo is always live, so can be used with a tender.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Love the CTEK battery tester/maintainer. Just remember to check your battery chemistry. I switched to a AGM battery and had to change the mode of the CTEK to properly maintain it so keep your manual. Not sure if a Lithium battery needs a totally different unit.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Cigarette lighters are never a good primary option. Reverse flow charging has its own issues. Save that for emergencies only. Anything sold on Amazon is prone to being a cheap chinese knockoff. Bezos has ripped off the public in ways Walmart could only dream of.
Any ideas what to do if your car is in a shared garage with no outlet access?
Buy a really long extension cord.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts