Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Gransport Ltd Grigio alfieri, 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, 2021 Levante Gransport
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Bella was dead over the weekend and the battery charger didn't make a difference. New battery in and all was good. Put the old Battery (only 1 .5 years old) on a real charger and it come back up ok. Apparently when the onboard CPU detects a significant drop in battery current, it turns on the a/c fans (not the a/c compressor) to totally deaden the battery (when the car is not going) so that the battery is either good to go or totally dead. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
793 Posts
...Bella was dead over the weekend and the battery charger didn't make a difference. New battery in and all was good. Put the old Battery (only 1 .5 years old) on a real charger and it come back up ok. Apparently when the onboard CPU detects a significant drop in battery current, it turns on the a/c fans (not the a/c compressor) to totally deaden the battery (when the car is not going) so that the battery is either good to go or totally dead. Can anyone confirm this?
If a heavy draw is killing it then it's possible your alternator is not up to snuff. The alt should be running the electrical appliances not the battery. So if the heavy draw kills the battery it's most likely due to the alternator not keeping up!

Have the output of the alternator checked.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Dave, First off the factory FIAMM battery leaves alot to be desired, they are junk!!! Replace w/ a GOOD aftermarket battery. The AC fans SHOULD NOT be coming on, sounds like a stuck relay- not normal. The car doesn't run anything in an effort to kill the battery. You have a parasitic draw, possibly from the AC fan which you need to find before you destroy your new battery.

·
Registered
2007 Gransport Ltd Grigio alfieri, 2009 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, 2021 Levante Gransport
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been away...

Dave the chemist

What's the skinny on your battery problem?
... and haven't checked yet. The battery was taken out, charged and the charge was held so I've put it back in. I'll get back soon with the result. Cheers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have a charging problem!
My customers tell me that I charge like a wounded bull! To which the only reply is "No one ever regretted buying quality!"

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
All good.

The battery has held up ok. Held a charge for 3 days. It certainly sounds like the factory battery has issues so I'll take it that it's on it's way out. The fan concept was raised by a mate with exotic car experience and it sounds like a possibility. I'm not implying that Maser's do this...I was just questioning the possibility.

·
Registered
603 Posts
When to replace and with what?

...Factory FIAAM batteries are junk. Get rid of it...
Would one notice a difference by replacing the battery before it exhibits issues? i.e. should I wait till it dies, or replace now? If now, what advantage in performance will I notice if any? What would you replace it with? I don't think red top makes a model for the QP. Interstate?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Would one notice a difference by replacing the battery before it exhibits issues? i.e. should I wait till it dies, or replace now? If now, what advantage in performance will I notice if any? What would you replace it with? I don't think red top makes a model for the QP. Interstate?
If it's working leave it be but that can always get you when you least expect it.!

I highly recommend the Interstate batteries. I have no experience with RedTop to give any recommendation. I am sure others do. You would be surprised how many "brand" name batteries are made by Interstate! The name will just not die hard!!!

My 360 battery died after 3 years. Replaced with an Interstate, keep it on a tender, and it spins that engine like a rocket ship every time.

The Interstates will have better cold cranking power and that is, so to speak, where the rubber meets the road especially if you are in a cold climate.

·
Registered
141 Posts
QP S, the only advantage to replacing the stock FIAMM battery is peace of mind that your car will start. QP's take Interstate MT-91.

GCalo,no offense, but you are jumping to conclusions, while it is possible that Dave has a charging issue, it is very LIKELY that he has a parasitic draw draining his battery when the car is off, this is very common on Maserati's AND Ferrari's.

Dave start your car and operate everything then shut it down and let it go to sleep, this way if it is a sticking relay or such causing your issue then it will be activated and you can check it again in a couple of days. keep us posted and good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts