Maserati Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a dead (stock) battery over last Christmas holdays after it sat for a couple of weeks, replaced with a good Interstate. Drove the car as recently as yesterday (Sunday, although briefly), started fine. This morning wake up to an apparently dead battery. I'm beginning to wonder, two bad batteries in a row is possible but doubtful. The car has a frayed iPod connector but no iPod was attached. I may be taking it to the dealer to check for grounding etc., but anyone had any simlar issues?

Possibly unrelated, but Friday, while coasting to a stop at a traffic light, car just dies (apparent stall at about 1K rpm); did it months before once or twice, but not in a while. Thumb the start button, starts right up. Car was up to temp but only about a mile from the starting point in each case. Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Had a dead (stock) battery over last Christmas holdays after it sat for a couple of weeks, replaced with a good Interstate. Drove the car as recently as yesterday (Sunday, although briefly), started fine. This morning wake up to an apparently dead battery. I'm beginning to wonder, two bad batteries in a row is possible but doubtful. The car has a frayed iPod connector but no iPod was attached. I may be taking it to the dealer to check for grounding etc., but anyone had any simlar issues?

Possibly unrelated, but Friday, while coasting to a stop at a traffic light, car just dies (apparent stall at about 1K rpm); did it months before once or twice, but not in a while. Thumb the start button, starts right up. Car was up to temp but only about a mile from the starting point in each case. Thoughts? Thanks!
I had the stalling problem, they did a couple of things, updated the CC software in the TCM, and also adjusted the pickup point on the clutch to be a touch later. (so less stalling).

Of course, my issue also included the engine not restarting which was an ECU change (non GS).

Dunno about the battery, sounds like a problem I just had with my Subaru.

If you have a multimeter, you can check the current draw when the car is off.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
my spyder stalls occassionally at the same spot on the same road at crawling speed. that spot has a small incline (down).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Does it throw a code when it stalls? May want to take a look at the clutch position sensor. I had my car stall once and this was the culprit.

Eric

·
Registered
722 Posts
The stall is probably unrelated. Maybe your interior light is stuck on?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm..

Doesn't throw a code when stalled.
Light definitely not stuck on.
Measured with multimeter: 14.6V when running, so alternator is fine; after trickle-charging all day, 12.2V with the car off (still low). Will take the battery back to Interstate to check under load, fingers crossed it's just a bad battery (had those before, too).

·
Registered
722 Posts
The most sure way would be to set the multimeter to read 0-10 amps or so, and pull off the positive battery clamp. Then put the muiltimeter between the battery and clamp to read the "off" current. It should be no more than maybe 0.2 amps.

Make sure the trunk light isn't on during this measurement (close the trunk or pull the bulb), doors closed/dome light off, etc.

If the meter reads for example 1 amp, that will drain a typical 72 amp-hour battery in about 72 hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts