Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning gentlemen,

Pardon the elementary question.

My dome light has been burned out for a few months (getting replaced soon) and since then, if my car sits for a couple of 2-3 days the battery drains significantly.

Could it be possible (anything is possible) that even though the lightbulb is burned out and the button is pressed to “on” with no light and it’s left on all the time, could this be the culprit of draining my battery? Not sure if it draws current even though the bulb is burned out.....?

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Jason. How do I find out if there is one on the car?

Ps - you can charge me time for all my questions lol.

3,688 Posts
First thing you need to do is check the battery and make sure the battery is good...Second thing is put an actual meter on the car and check for a drain or parasitic load is the fancy word for it...Pretty easy to do if you a DVOM or multimeter....Jason

·
Registered
310 Posts
What does " if my car sits for a couple of 2-3 days the battery drains significantly." mean?
Does the car not crank?
Voltage goes from how many v. to how many v.?
How old is your battery?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi B R,

Battery -> Interstate -> brand new. If the car sits 2 - 3 days with me not turning the battery off, car goes “click” and the interior lights are dim.

Thank you,
Stephen

3,688 Posts
The bad news is it sounds like it has a drain...The good news it sounds like a pretty large one and that make it easier to find...Look around the battery and fuses boxes for any additional wires that don't look factory or add on...Remember the fuse box in the front passenger area... A lot of drains are caused by aftermarket stuff..I just fixed a X-type that had some device that myself and the customer couldn't even identify what it was...Some plastic box with wires...Dealer had replaced battery 2 times....Jason

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Jason. Odd thing, it’s only been a few months since this problem has been occurring. I haven’t made any modifications.

3,688 Posts
You may not, but someone may have added a tracking device at some point...These will start to screw up after a while or after the back-up battery goes bad...I remove several from cars every year ...Pretty common to put on cars that were financed at some point...Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts