Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I need some help please.

I have 2007 QP Sports GT Automatica.

I am not sure if this is a design flaw or there is something wrong with the boot key tumbler...

Basically, I have been having trouble with starting due to under-voltage for a few weeks now. Couldn't start it at all this morning. All kinds of warnings came up. The battery was last replaced 4-5 years ago. So it's probably not holding any charge and needs a replacement.

The problem is, I cannot get inside the boot... it sounded like the boot latch may have "partially" unlocked when I pressed the keyfob but didn't have enough juice to finish the operation. And that was with the last ounce of battery. Now it won't respond at all.

One might think: "Ok, this is easy. Just use the key to open the boot." But my key in the boot lock only inserts about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way and it feels like there is a "plate" of some sort blocking it from entering any further. I am not sure if there is an electrically operated "blocking plate" inside the lock (if so, what a terrible idea) or if something is stuck inside the tumbler.

My key still opens the car doors as normal.

My question to the fellow members are:
1. Is this normal behaviour for the boot lock for our car?
2. What do I do now to try to open the boot to replace the battery?? Is there a way to charge the battery from inside the car or connect a secondary battery to something accessible or is there a physical boot open latch inside the car other than the electric button?

4,007 Posts
Use the pic I posted in this thread to apply power to the car to release the trunk.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The key should go fully in, maybe use some wd-40 to get the lock going. Than press the trunk down and turn the key, there is a continuing spring load on the lock so once you feel movement in the key pull the trunk lid up. If that doesn’t work follow Jason’s tips on how to repower the car.

·
Registered
557 Posts
When nothing else works...you can also get into the trunk by removing the license plate & fancy frame (if you have one), then pull down on the trim piece above the license plate containing the illumination lights - it will still have wires connected, be careful not to scratch anything, and use a tool to push on the spring loaded latch mechanism to open the trunk.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Same issue my here both keys do noting to open the trunk manually, and yes its in the right way and if I turn it any further I'm going to snap the key.

4,007 Posts
Fairly common problem on cars that have a key tumbler....People never use the thing just using the FOB all the time and the barrel can freeze up..Spray some WD-40 up into the thing and let it sit overnight...Try again in the morning...Jason

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone. I need some help please.

I have 2007 QP Sports GT Automatica.

I am not sure if this is a design flaw or there is something wrong with the boot key tumbler...

Basically, I have been having trouble with starting due to under-voltage for a few weeks now. Couldn't start it at all this morning. All kinds of warnings came up. The battery was last replaced 4-5 years ago. So it's probably not holding any charge and needs a replacement.

The problem is, I cannot get inside the boot... it sounded like the boot latch may have "partially" unlocked when I pressed the keyfob but didn't have enough juice to finish the operation. And that was with the last ounce of battery. Now it won't respond at all.

One might think: "Ok, this is easy. Just use the key to open the boot." But my key in the boot lock only inserts about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way and it feels like there is a "plate" of some sort blocking it from entering any further. I am not sure if there is an electrically operated "blocking plate" inside the lock (if so, what a terrible idea) or if something is stuck inside the tumbler.

My key still opens the car doors as normal.

My question to the fellow members are:
1. Is this normal behaviour for the boot lock for our car?
2. What do I do now to try to open the boot to replace the battery?? Is there a way to charge the battery from inside the car or connect a secondary battery to something accessible or is there a physical boot open latch inside the car other than the electric button?
HI,

I had the same issue, (battery dead and had to use the key), however, my key did open the trunk. Here is an idea for you. They sell those emergency charges that are self-contained and plug into the cigarette lighter socket; which supposedly charges the battery. Using one of those may work. You are correct in thinking that the trunk is half open and there is something preventing the key from inserting completely.

Good luck . . .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here's what my issue was the the cable that hooks into the lock mechanism was detached. BUT I re attached the cable and the key would manually open the lock but only when the truck was already opened.

When I closed the trunck fully the key was stuck solid and would not manually release the lock. Again I'd open the trunk and the key would turn freely.

Time to replace lock mechanism.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2 solutions :
  • If you can open the door, open front cover and charge the battery where you are the fuse.
  • Second one, you have a cable but you must disassemble this piece.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

Jason was spot on. I was able to easily power on the trunk lid by accessing the electrical connections under the dash near the steering wheel: pull down the tray lid, remove two thumbscrews, pull down the whole tray to expose the fuse section, touch the positive wire and the negative chassis with some metal gardening pins powered by a 12V jump starter (used as battery, not to jump start), and then press the trunk open button. The whole thing took less than 10 minutes. See photo attached.

Jeffery was also correct. There must have been some sort of blanking mechanism that prevents the key from inserting all the way in if the trunk latching mechanism is stuck half open/shut. Once I got the trunk open, I can easily insert the key into the trunk tumbler. Bad design.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts