Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was told it is not possible to do that, but I cannot verify that is the case. I have the ball polished wheels and I wish I did not. I like the look but there is not good way to fix curb rash. I know Ferrari of Houston has a paint that will give a ball polished look to the wheels. Check around, that be a good alternative

·
Registered
695 Posts
I second PaulC. When I tried to get a GS ball-polished front wheel refurbished that had some curb rash, the responses from local businesses were "we can paint it, we can chrome it, we can powder coat it, but we can't match that particular unique Maserati finish."

·
Registered
824 Posts
I second PaulC. When I tried to get a GS ball-polished front wheel refurbished that had some curb rash, the responses from local businesses were "we can paint it, we can chrome it, we can powder coat it, but we can't match that particular unique Maserati finish."
Yeah, I accidentally smacked a curb pretty hard (parking in heavy traffic) and wound up replacing a rear rim ($$$$$).

The best thing about the ball polished rims, however, is they are VERY easy to clean. Brake dust etc does not stick to them.

You just need to be very careful when parking.

And they're quite bling bling. :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Someone on here said it was a special paint and had a source. I can't seem to find it. Hmmm.
I think it is paint. I had two ball polished wheels on my vintage package Spyder that were badly rashed. I had a mobile wheel repair service come to my house and they corrected it so well that it is impossible to see the repair even from a few inches away - the color and finish is an exact match. The tech (Andre at Alloy Wheel Repair in Calgary) said that he used a special paint that cost $800/ litre. Based on the match that was achieved and the fact he was able to effect the repair with paint all, I concluded that the OEM finish is in fact painted on rather than truly "ball polished".

·
Registered
744 Posts
If so I'd expect to see some flaking then, near where curb rashed, or near lug holes, or somewhere. I can see none.
Agree that should be the case but then again my Infiniti's wheels are painted and also have some rash - not a bit of flaking either.

I can't definitively rule out the possibility that they are a "ball polished" bare metal surface. It seems implausible though since my repair guy:

a) told me that they were painted and
b) was able to match up the damaged and undamaged areas perfectly using paint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts