Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm following up on a problem that has been bugging me lately...
when I push on the brakes the car pulls to the left. That is IF I hold the steering wheel straight... because if I hold the wheel loose and push on the brakes it rotates right but the car keeps perfectly straight. Very scary stuff. I've done the alignment but no improvement. The effects seems to be much bigger under sport mode.

I'm waiting for the tech to be ready to take the car in. In the meantime... any suggestions as to what it might be? Steering? Suspensions? Brakes? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Have you had a look at the tires to see if the ones on one side show significantly more wear than the other?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Tires have been checked both by the mechanic that just recently changed my damaged CAT as well as by the people the did the alignment. The computer showed some camber and caster values that were a bit off but generally speaking the car is stable and straight when I'm not braking. When braking the car is still stable and straight as long as I don't try to hold the steering wheel...

The problem was not there or not so noticeable before the cars sat for quite some time waiting for spares (catalytic converter) maybe in the time the car sat in the garage something got stuck (pistons in the caliper)? Just don't have experience to say which system these symptoms can relate to...

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I'm waiting for the tech to be ready to take the car in. In the meantime... any suggestions as to what it might be? Steering? Suspensions? Brakes? :confused:
Maybe, maybe, and maybe. I've had situations over the years where all of the above have contributed to uneven handling. As a VERY rough rule of thumb, if the pulling is mild and steady, it has often been brake or alignment related. If it is "notchy" or it feels as if there is a transition point past which the directional control is very exaggerated, I'd suspect a steering system or suspension component (and get it checked ASAP). There's always the possibility of a wheel/tire issue (low pressure on one side, bent wheel) though I'm sure you checked that. The other item that has caused me grief over the years is one that can't easily be repaired, which is "road crown". I've noticed that the quality of road surfaces in my area is quite poor, as we have a large number of trucks using the smaller roads, resulting in the road surface becoming uneven. With low profile/wide tires, it can create a very uncomfortable feeling of loss of handling control as the car floats/flops back and forth over the imperfections in the road.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
the road quality is definitely an issue here. But the problem presents itself on nice flat roads as well.

As mentioned the car is steady while driving only when braking it seems like there's something pulling on the steering wheel forcing it to rotate some 15 deg. Just the steering wheel... because if I let it go while braking the car keeps perfectly on a straight line. No shaking, just a pull... as I said... sharper in sport mode (which may suggest skyhook as something to do with this or maybe the different suspension configuration simply accentuates something that's due to some other cause)

·
Registered
859 Posts
A tought

You need to find someone who can do brakes. I know someone who had similar issue but the whole sistem was faulty from the manufacturer but in his case there was a recall he never bothered about addressing it.
With your car it sounds there is uneven pressure applied on the brake disks due to an unknown factor at this time, might be a clogged brake line or piston and also check the disks since the drilled ones tend to get filled with compressed brake dust, measure the thinkness of your brake disks, shoes etc on both sides and if there is a difference there you have it-uneven brake force applied to these components from which the car will react unusual pulling one way or the other. Would be worth checking the master brake cylinder, bleed the system and do a thourough inspection. Visually analize the brake disk for unusual erossion and do the same with the brake shoes, an uneven weare on these componets it'll guide you to the next one etc.A small puncture in a brake line, connection that is loose etc can result in no brakes whatsoever in time, look for leaks, pressure test the system, check for punctures, have someone press de brake pedal a few times to see of it looses it's sturdyness while you listen to any unusual noises, hissing stuff etc.
I think a new set of shoes, callipers, disks and new fluid throughout will solve the issue forever.;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts