Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) After my first initial search for an '02-04 Coupe, and being disappointed in the pickings and in no rush, I put it on hold and started to enjoy my 911 again. Now I came across an '02 nearby and wanted to get some feedback. I would post the carfax report and details from the clutch replacement in October 2006, but I'm not sure if its frowned upon on the forum.

Details:

2002 CC with 26k
Asking $38.5
Clean Carfax - but see comments below
2 prior Owners
Body and interior clean (the interior is all black - I would have liked some different piping and perhaps a mix of leathers, but acceptable. The color is Grigio which I like

1st Owner and concern - bought from The Collection at Coral Gables, FL 8/02 had one service done at 847k and then the 5k service but then was in the shop on (i) 10/10/03 (5478k), (ii) 1/6/04 (7861k), (iii) 2/17/04 (8698k), (iv) 4/13/04 (9851k), (v) 6/19/04 (10685), (vi) 7/23/04 (11202k), (vii) 9/30/04 (11610), (ix) 11/1/05 (12315k)

Looks like for awhile the car was in every month - If I had to bring my car in this much I would be furious ! I don't mind occasional issues, plus planned maintenance, but is this the sign of a lemon. Does anyone have experience/connection with "The Collection at Coral Gables " I would like to get the service reports but don't know if they will release them. Many shops won't.

2nd Owner: Sold at auction, registered in NY (near me) on 10/11/06 w/ 22,344k.

So far all I have after that is that they guy had a new clutch job done at the Ferrari/Maserati shop on Oct 24/06 ! with 24k miles - $3300 - Right after buying - maybe this scared the guy b/c he sold it a year later.

Have the prices leveled off yet or are they dropping. I noticed that there are significantly more Maseratis for sale now than there were just a few months ago.

All thoughts are appreciated ?

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
A dealer should be able to provide you a detailed service history if you have the VIN #.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Price is decent...

I would check with the dealer to see what was done on those repairs that you listed. Knowing some of the idiots that call themselves mechanics these days, well some of those repairs may have been dealer induced.... You never know until you look.... As for the price.... That's about right, and they don't go a lot lower than that from what I have seen.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - I'm going to try and get the service records but last time I went through this the dealer refused claiming privacy rights of the original owner.

·
Registered
280 Posts
keep looking or negotiate hard!

That price is high'!I have seen them for less and had negotiated an '02 with 9K miles for $32K.....my 2004 I have seen for $42k and wholesale was $39-40K; I have that FROM A WHOLESALE HIGH LINER GUY; saw the auction prices!!! Anyway, if you can get it down to about $34-35 I would buy....goodluck, dogdoc

·
Registered
478 Posts
Not what you asked as they'll be asking more $$, but FM in Plainview has a coupe and 2 Gransports (2K and 8K on the odometers). You won't be second guessing.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Updated Service Records

Thanks for the feedback so far -

Dogdoc - The only cars I have seen lower - in the $35k range were clearly walk aways as they were in B-/C+ condition with 26-34k. There is an '04 w/ approx 20k in FLA for $44,500 - I've had good communication with the dealer who has "admitted", FWIW, that he's trying to get just what he paid at this point since the car isn't selling. If you know of an '02-04 in excellent shape in the price figures your talking about, I'll buy. A check on ebay and cars.com has $38-40k as about as low as they go, as far as I have seen in the last 8 months

Bluyork - I know the 04' CC your talking about and would love it but its $55k - this will be my 4th car and that's pushing it for me. :cool::rolleyes::confused:

Are you out in Suffolk with the blue Grans ?? X-Ponder ??

Sooooo, I’m still interested in this car and will be test driving in the morning. Here’s the service record – does anyone see anything to be concerned about. It did go through 2 clutches in 26k – but I have to write that off to the driver. Would really appreciate some feedback. TIA

8/02 – Original In service Prep.
11/02 – Throttle-Body Replacement
8/03 – Valve Cover Gaskets Replaced (Seeping); Glove Box Repair
1/04 – Oil Change (7.8k)
2/04 – Fuel Line Coupler – Tech Bulletin
4/04 – Steering Rack Bolt – Tech Bulletin
6/04 – New Clutch; Software Update; Pilot Bearing (10.6k)
7/04 – Yearly Service (11k)
9/04 – Brake Switch – Tech Bulletin; Radiator Pipe replacement; Front Bumper Paint chipping complaint
11/05 – Oil Change

Car Sold
10/06 – New Clutch

P.S. - Kudo's to "The Collection at Coral Gables" Although they refused to give me copies of the service records (unless I owned the car and drove it to them for service), the service manager did go through all the service they performed over the phone.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Ron - that's what I used to understand but believe that Mas stopped "repairing/replacing" the '02 clutch and converted them, when a clutch was necessary, to the new '03 version. Thus, any '02 that's had a clutch replacement would have had to be upgraded with parts and software. This car had the most recent clutch done in '06 plus one done back in '04.

Anyone pipe in and let me know if mistaken. Thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would not buy a 2002 CC on a bet! The CC was better on late 2003 or 2004.
Or better yet go for a Coupe GT.
Ron
Other than the software, what changed in the CC system from 02 to 03/04? I know some early 02s had a single tang, but if the clutch has ever been replaced, it now has a double tang clutch.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Other than the software, what changed in the CC system from 02 to 03/04? I know some early 02s had a single tang, but if the clutch has ever been replaced, it now has a double tang clutch.
This is what I was referring to -just couldn't remember the detail. I also understood that the only diff between the '02 and '03+ was the move from the single tang to the double tang.

·
Registered
280 Posts
will try to look for you!

time permitting; they may be asking 38-40; but let's not forget to throw a lower but reasonable number; the truth is that the 2002 models are wholesaling around high $20's-30K so throwing out low to mid $30's IS fair! have to see if someone bites! The guys in Chicago had a blue manual 6 speed, 9k miles and went from low $40's to 38K and last time I looked they were still sitting on it; will see if I know where one is; I looked HARD for 6 weeks 7 NIGHTS a week before I bought mine....in my opinion a 2002 in the low to mid $30's with reasonable mileage should not be hard; now there was a nice blue spider on ebay with 11K miles I believe and they were in the $40's, call them and tell them to get real and your a player; play hard ball, I have watched these guys allover sitting on the same cars for months and months; not many cars get sold in the north in winter; look in Chicago, New York; etc, just check the rust factor, etc.........good luck, dogdoc

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks for the feedback so far -

Bluyork - I know the 04' CC your talking about and would love it but its $55k - this will be my 4th car and that's pushing it for me. :cool::rolleyes::confused:

Are you out in Suffolk with the blue Grans ?? X-Ponder ??
Yes, blue GS, Sm-town area, usually on the south shore/Rob Moses early weekend mornings. X-Ponder?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Ramp,

it appears like most of the unscheduled maintenance was for service bulletins. That is a good thing as the car is now out of warranty and it looks like the items that effect any first year production model have already been resolved.

But as you pointed out, more Masers are hitting the market. And if the car color combo is only "acceptable" to you - then why not not wait for prices to fall on a newer model? Or one that will be closer to exactly what you want?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was @ the Auto Gallery in Calabasas this last weekend, they had a 2005 Coupe GT. It looked to be in good shape, Call and ask for David Barr. They may have it on the web site. If you like it I could go back and look it over for you. Plus you could get the extended warranty.
Ron:)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Deal !!

Looked over the car today. Looks good and I have a deposit down. Worked out a deal. Usual very very minor cosmetic wear. Better condition than all but 1 other I looked at = A- and with new rubber all around.

The only oil coverage/seepage I saw underneath was around the front axle rubber grease boots, not dripping, just coated. Does anyone know if this is common ? My Audi's went after about 30k, no big deal, just replaced the rubber boots and filled with appropriate lube. Biggest pain was having to re-align after.

I'll be posting with some more questions so thanks for the comments and future help.
:D

·
Registered
478 Posts
Great news and congrats!

I'll be back in NY from my current UK trip next Tuesday and will be in town til the end of March. Would be great to connect over the weekend or at the end of a business day, maybe off Ocean Parkway, etc.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ramp,

You know the drill. Gotta post pics. :)

Congrats.
Bcube - Thought I would wait until the deal is done and I have possession.

Bluyork - yep, thought that was you from my last search. Once I have possession, we'll schedule something. Maybe a Sunday meet at the old Oak Beach Inn - they have adhoc car shows - just depends on who shows up. Mostly American muscle cars but some exotics show up occasionally.

I'm going to need some minor cosmetic/maintenance issues done early on and will post separately for that. In the meantime, here's a quick peak.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts