Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after checking into this forum and saw the post regarding Eddie @ Azzuro Corsa, i went ahead and decided to get my car serviced there today.

Overall the service was great, price was reasonable, wait time was as expected and the car now runs silky smooth again, like new!!!

much props to Eddie Rodriguez and Azzuro Corsa, i will def see him for mext service, for you members that are on the fence about going to him, hesitate no more...they will def take care of you!!!!

QP on the lift

Eddie in action

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Coi,

VERY happy to see you tried him out! I told you that you would be very happy :)

One thing I noticed immediately was how pristine the shop is. No messes on the floor, no tools lying around, etc. That always speaks VERY highly of the technician... I am sure you realized how knowledgable he is about not only exotics, but cars in general!

-Ali

PS- Did you see my baby there? I am actually going there tomorrow morning to check on it and do some fun stuff haha.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Echo those sentiments..............

I also had my Maser in to Eddie's shop today. I completely agree with Ali and Coi's observations!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yo Ali, i saw your car there, i was going to snap a few pics but was unsure if you would be OK with that so i left it alone, have fun there today!!!!

And yes Eddie knows more than just Mazi and Ferrari, he pretty much knows most other cars as well :thumb:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Does Eddie have an SD2/SD3 reader? I know those things are pretty pricey. I know he has a new business so I wasn't sure if he made that investment yet or not.

I had planned on taking my car to FMOC but I will definitely consider taking it to Eddie.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Since this shop is an independent, what is their take on the Maserati and possible/probable de-tuning to keep it from competing with Ferrari models such as the 430 or even the 360?

Are they knowlegable & equipped to make engine & electronics modifications that may increase power?

Any insight other than adding a chip or removing crimps in the exhaust would be interesting.

I would suspect there are specific characteristics of the engine that were compromised to keep performance low. Someone who is both independent & factory trained in both makes may be in a position to not only offer good service but also to have knowledge of exactly what was done to limit performance and bring it back to Ferrari specs. If the coupe engine is a version of the 430 engine, could it not be brought to those specifications.

·
5,887 Posts
Since this shop is an independent, what is their take on the Maserati and possible/probable de-tuning to keep it from competing with Ferrari models such as the 430 or even the 360?
With the exception of the MC12, Maserati makes GT cars, not sportscars. Regardless of engine performance, the 4200/GS/GT wouldn't compete with a mid-engine sportscar like the 360/430 (different tools for different jobs). There would be no reason for Ferrari to be afraid of a perceived "competition".

If the coupe engine is a version of the 430 engine, could it not be brought to those specifications.
It is important to note that the 4200 engine is not a detuned 430 engine. The basic engine design is shared between Maserati, Ferrari, and Alfa but the actual engines are quite different. Cylinders, cranks, pistons, cylinder heads, et al are all different.

Work could be done to match the 430's horsepower. However, getting to F430 horsepower probably wouldn't be cheap or easy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
456 Posts
With the exception of the MC12, Maserati makes GT cars, not sportscars. Regardless of engine performance, the 4200/GS/GT wouldn't compete with a mid-engine sportscar like the 360/430 (different tools for different jobs). There would be no reason for Ferrari to be afraid of a perceived "competition".
I've heard from too many sources both here in the U.S. and in Italy that the car was specifically designed not to compete with Ferrari. True the intention is a GT but I do
think they specifically reduced hp output and especially handling.

It is important to note that the 4200 engine is not a detuned 430 engine. The basic engine design is shared between Maserati, Ferrari, and Alfa but the actual engines are quite different. Cylinders, cranks, pistons, cylinder heads, et al are all different.

Work could be done to match the 430's horsepower. However, getting to F430 horsepower probably wouldn't be cheap or easy.
Would be interesting.

·
5,887 Posts
I've heard from too many sources both here in the U.S. and in Italy that the car was specifically designed not to compete with Ferrari. True the intention is a GT but I do think they specifically reduced hp output and especially handling.
Hp output and handling is much different than a Ferrari for a number of reasons. As with any engine, Maserati tried to get the best balance of cost, reliablility, drivability, vibration, et al. I'm sure Maserati would have loved to squeeze 800 hp out of the 4200 engine. However, as with anything, something else would have to be compromised. Don't think for a second hp was a result of the parent company just wanting to produce a weaker car in a non-competing segment ;)

With handling, they clearly tried (and missed IMHO) to find a balance of ride comfort and handling. Regardless, no amount of mods short of engine relocation would make a 4200 handle anything like the F430.

I guess all this is for another thread. It would be interesting to hear Jeff's thoughts...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Not to hijack this thread by any means. It's great to hear that owners seem to be thrilled with the service that they are receiving from Eddie.

Regarding Maserati / Ferrari:

Maserati has given us all a luxurious, daily driver, Ferrari derived / inspired car within the means of our budget.

It's clear to me that Maserati made choices that comprimised it's sport capability. However many of the core components are there to produce a real performance machine.

Some will say that these comprimises were made to avoid competing with Ferrari, others will say that is not the case and it's more of a luxury brand and that the "detuning" of the car is for that purpose.

With that said, I do believe that Ferrari would not be too happy to see Maserati borrowing so much from the F-Car and then releasing a nearly competing product ( in terms of performance ) for a fraction of the cost of their current or perhaps previous models pricing. F-Car owners wouldn't appreciate seeing their engine in a Maserati for $100K less regardless of the configuration. There is a certain value and a brand that needs to be protected. I believe that there is "some" amount of this in the design of the Maserati.

The Maserati handling issues can be corrected with our Sport Handling package. There are some areas that can never be equal such as weight distribution. However the 4200 can come very close to the Ferrari in the handling department with key upgrades: Springs, Wheels, Tires, Swaybars. Many of the same components are there. We replace what needs to be replaced to get most of that back.

Many owners who attend Ferrari events and then install our kit tell us that they now can stay with the FCars even when pushing hard. I've driven both on and off the track. A tuned Maserati is a far cry from the stock machine.

The engine is a bit trickier. It's a comprimise here and there... mostly for longevity, cost and dairly driver reliability. Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet to get the power back that was lost in the design changes. However there any still many aftermarket products to increase the power and get more of it : i.e. High Power ECM and Exhaust Systems.

Our Drive By Wire product shows that Maserati missed the mark in setting up the F-1 transmission from a performance standpoint. We can achieve a solid improvement here utilizing the same hardware it already has.

All in All, the Maserati is an excellent platform. You have the ability to afford a SuperCar status vehicle with a reliable, daily driver, Ferrari engineered powerplant.

Some owners will be happy with the product as-is. Owners who want more have the upgrade path that we offer. The pricing for our upgrades is much less than the factory would charge for the same performance / features and certainly less than the price difference of the Ferrari. So in the end the owners end up winning.

I love the Maserati platform and I hope that more owners continue to recognize it's value and potential.

I also love the Ferrari platform, they've really connected with what owners want and work to build their dream cars.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
great write up jeff, i think most people would agree on your sentiment

there is and always will be a difference between an Fcar and a Maz, but with a lil bit of love, money and time...the line can be made much closer than ever

i do plan on doing a few mods myself, not to say that i can keep up with a ferrari or that i can smoke other "lesser" cars, but to increase my level of joy while in the driver seat

·
Registered
633 Posts
Jeff I respect your opinion greatly. What's your thought on this: About a year ago my friend, formerly at FMoW, began talking with me about dropping an F430 engine into either a used 360 or a GranSport. I was shocked when he turned out to be serious, and claimed that the resulting car would be the same price as a slightly used 360, if not lower because of the sourcing of parts from scrap-cars. Obviously I did not do this as it sounds way to risky for me, but CAN an F430 engine be fitted into a Gransport? Again, like you said, sorry for hijacking this thread.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Jeff I respect your opinion greatly. What's your thought on this: About a year ago my friend, formerly at FMoW, began talking with me about dropping an F430 engine into either a used 360 or a GranSport. I was shocked when he turned out to be serious, and claimed that the resulting car would be the same price as a slightly used 360, if not lower because of the sourcing of parts from scrap-cars. Obviously I did not do this as it sounds way to risky for me, but CAN an F430 engine be fitted into a Gransport? Again, like you said, sorry for hijacking this thread.
I'm not speaking for Jeff but the Ferrari dealer told me they share IDENTICAL blocks (except for bore), so the holes for the motor mouts are in the same place. If the block's the same, stands to reason it should drop in with Maserati mounts and line up with eerything. The intake manifold is really quite different with split intakes for left and right banks so it may not fit the hood profile.

It would be nice to START with an F430 power plant before mods.

·
Registered
633 Posts
It would be nice to START with an F430 power plant before mods.
Exactly, Novitech can get that engine upto 630hp :D imagine that in your Coupe.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
I'm sure it's possible to fit the F430. It would probably be a very poor investment financially. Yes you would get a performance car for less. However you'd see some serious depriciation as well.

We'll likely have some more serious HP mods later this year which may be a better way to go then replacing the engine and dealing with the electronics. Which quite frankly will be where all of your true headaches will be. I would only let the most knowledgable Ferrari / Maserati tech attempt to perform something like this, if ever.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

1 - 20 of 26 Posts